twzlrwho
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

christina
dewitt va
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2009 :  06:30:02 AM  Show Profile
I have seen the sheep thread but I hate to be rude and butt in. I have a question though. Is there a such thing as a cashmere sheep? There is a guy down the road that has a hair breed he says is cashmere. Could this be? They look alot like Katahdin(sp) to me but what do I know. LOL

Thanks

Christina

Work like you don't have to, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like nobody is watching :)

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2009 :  07:13:28 AM  Show Profile
Hi there Christina

Go ahead and butt in - we love talking sheep and goats and hope that new folks join in and share, question or just tell us about your life.

As for the Cashmere Sheep - NO! I guess that guy might also sell magic beans but there is not sheep that is Cashmere - I would love to be able to stand in front of him and listen to his explaination... Would be a great laugh. Now there are hair sheep as you stated but none of them have the blood count to equal cashmere. Also, some folks like to throw in the statement "Soft as Cashmere" you will find that when Alpaca Breeders are promoting their fiber (remember I have alpaca so I can talk about them) but still Cashmere is Cashmere and only GOATS produce it....

Great to have you in the talk and please jump in the other thread anytime.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

twzlrwho
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

christina
dewitt va
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2009 :  07:22:22 AM  Show Profile
Thanks so much Grace. I have really enjoyed reading that thread. I plan to get a few goats this summer and I need to learn all I can.

That man got duped..I feel bad for him. He mostly has goats only 5 or 6 sheep that he was told were cashmere producing. Should have done his research ;)

Thanks again and as soon as I get all caught up I will join in. I am on page 15 right now and the reading is slow with kiddies(human lol) running circles around me.

Have a great day!!

Christina

Work like you don't have to, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like nobody is watching :)
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2009 :  4:15:55 PM  Show Profile
That IS sad that it happened to the man. Grace is for sure the one to ask!! And I agree with Grace..just butt right in..no one looks at it that way at all!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2009 :  5:27:52 PM  Show Profile
Sadly, that's what happens when people don't do their HOMEWORK!!! I ALWAYS tell people wanting to buy sheep from me (Babydolls) to research the breed, talk to SEVERAL different breeders etc... BEFORE they buy any sheep.

For some reason there is this spectacular rumor going around that they are SOOOOO different from all other sheep. As a breeder of 10+yrs I can honestly say that is NOT TRUE!!!! They are JUST LIKE every other sheep, only SMALLER!

Katahdins are "Hair" sheep. Meaning they SHED their wool as opposed to needing to be sheared by humans. They are also MEAT sheep. I believe their wool is pretty worthless.

Also, there is no such thing as a Cashmere goat BREED. There are several breeds that produce cashmere-- even my Nigerian Dwarf goats produce it! Some more than others. (right now several look like they are MOULTING!!)

Remember, too, Christina, there is NO SUCH THING as a "Stupid" question here on the forum. We ALL learn something new here every day-- Enjoy the view of your Neighbors' "Cashmere Sheep"... poor silly man.... (LOL!!!!) Hugs~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

twzlrwho
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

christina
dewitt va
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2009 :  05:33:35 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Jenny!

Tracy, I agree! I am trying to do my homework on everything I plan to give a home to. I think it's important to know what you are to expect and most importantly how to care for your furry or feathered friends. I know that alot comes from experience but I am doing my best to try and learn basic care and some tricks of the trade.

I can't tell ya'll how much I value your advise and knowledge. You girls are all I have in that aspect. I am very thankful for your time and patience and willingness to teach your trade. For that I will forever be grateful.

Thanks again girls...HUGS

Christina

Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2009 :  07:47:54 AM  Show Profile
We've ALL been where you are right now--- made our share of mistakes, and had our share of triumphs.

With your attitude, and your willingness to learn, Christina-- you're already half way to being a true HANDS-ON farmgirl!!!

I sure wish I had this site to go to when I started raising critters so many years ago. I know a few mistakes I WOULD'NT have made! But, live and learn. That's how the game is played. ~~~Hugs~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

twzlrwho
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

christina
dewitt va
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2009 :  11:37:03 AM  Show Profile
Tracy,
Thanks for the encouragement!! I agree this sight is amazing!

Hugs

Christina

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Sheep Question Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page