Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Try This
 Red ants and grits...Breakfast anyone?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Try This: Previous Topic Red ants and grits...Breakfast anyone? Next Topic  

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2006 :  5:39:19 PM  Show Profile
We've got red ants a.k.a. fire ants bad here in TX. The mounds can get huge and if you get within a few feet of one and you don't see it, the little soldiers come and attack leaving nasty big bumps that burn and itch. They bother all our animals and have killed several of our little chickies trying to hatch out of their eggs.

For 20 years or so, I've used instant grits to kill the buggers. Wait until the morning dew is dried up and then sprinkle the instant grits all around the mound for about 2 feet and on top of the mound. Then, aggravate them enough to get'em to come out. They eat the grits and the moisture in their body puffs the grits up and voila! exploded ant......dead. They also bring this feast down to the queen and she explodes, too....leaving the whole mound dead.

Yipee!!

Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2006 :  9:55:59 PM  Show Profile
That cracks me up! Who'd athunk! I've been bit by the nasty things before, so blow 'em up for me!!

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2006 :  10:28:10 PM  Show Profile
Ew, I HATE those things! When I was dating Hal in Arizona he had this flat futon mattress on the floor and they kept getting in and chewing on us in our sleep.

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2006 :  08:02:57 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
This sounds much better than my hubby's "burn them out" method!

I've also used boiling water. You may have to do it twice... but it works on the smaller mounds.
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2006 :  09:06:56 AM  Show Profile
wowzer catherine .. i guess that's why we farmgirls get 'puffy' when we eat our morning grits! great to know!! wonder if it works on other ants and critters?

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2006 :  1:43:41 PM  Show Profile
I knew there was a good use for grits! (Sorry, Yankee humor!)I've also heard that Coca Cola poured into the top of the hole/nest will do them in???
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2006 :  2:03:12 PM  Show Profile
vinegar works but be prepared to kill any vegetation around it as well. I pickled and killed my watermelon plants last summer doing that to regular black ants.

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2006 :  05:14:30 AM  Show Profile
I have this theory that under our land in the South, a few inches down, lives a gigantic connected world of fire ants. When one mound gets demolished, they just scoot through the ground and pop up nearby. I feel like they just laugh at us!

Grits are a great idea because they actually kill large numbers of the ants. I have to try that one!

"Sell cleverness and buy wonder"
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2006 :  12:35:24 PM  Show Profile
jp...I'm with ya' I think they're in cahoots with the termites and have tunnels everywhere. But, they're not laughing now!! It's all out war from multiple states with all these farmgirls.

Sleepless....maybe someone just hasn't made grits the right way for you! I don't doubt the Coke method....my hubby brought home an email that listed all the things coke can do....like clean the ring out of a toilet, tenderize meat, etc... I try not to think about that everytime I enjoy a big cold Coke.

Hmmmm, pickled watermelon....could that be marketed?

I have a neighbor that utilizes the "burn 'em out" method. He pours gasoline on a mound and then torches it. I don't think he considers the damage to the soil. The grits method can be used right in the garden and not harm anything.

Bon Apetite!

Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2006 :  6:09:32 PM  Show Profile
This totally cracked me up!! We don't have fire ants, at least as far as I know, but if we ever get them, I'll know what to do.. I also loved the tip on cleaning the ring in the toilet with coke.. I'll have to try that.. The bummer is that every now and then I love a cold coke..especially when I'm feeling a little under the weather, like recently..my tummy was all upset and I drank a coke (I like gingerale too) and felt so much better. I've tried the organic colas and they are every bit as wonderful.. thanks..Julia Hayes

being simple to simply be
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2006 :  6:47:56 PM  Show Profile
We don't have fire ants here either..but I have heard my sister's tales about them from when she lived near Houston. And I am sure glad I don't like coke!!! Yikes!!

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

CityCat
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Catherine
Toronto Ontario
Canada
198 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2006 :  5:25:36 PM  Show Profile
Here's a FAQ website about fire ants. It will probably answer a lot of your questions.

http://uts.cc.utexas.edu/~gilbert/research/fireants/faq.html
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2006 :  2:38:56 PM  Show Profile
Wow, Catherine (CityCat), that was some site full of information! My grits were mentioned in question 8. The expert didn't say it wouldn't work at all....just not on a grand scale. WOO HOO, my grandpa was right!

Had a new mound show up after the rain. I'm letting'em live for a few days since they put so much work into their huge dirt mountain. I'll grits'em this weekend.

Blessings
Catherine (cajungal)

Go to Top of Page
  Try This: Previous Topic Red ants and grits...Breakfast anyone? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page