JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2006 :  4:33:28 PM  Show Profile
hey girls!!! how many of u out there are getting ready for spring break? i can hardly waite, u know there are some things u can plant in early may! and probably then some.maple sugar time is just around the corner! spring is on it's way, u know? even if it is soooo snowy and coooold here now!what is the first thing u all plant in early spring???? i plant lettuce, and spinache, first!beets and brocklie,but all in all!!! what is the first thing u see coming up in spring? i see onion chives, anyone see something befor that?if so let me know ok?i find it really fasinating! to see what really is the first thing up in spring? jo!

love is all you need

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2006 :  4:57:10 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jocelyn,
I feel the spring itch, too. Our temperatures have been pretty mild....no freezing temps. yet. So, I actually still have harvest coming in from last year's plantings. My oregano is doing the best it ever has. I have dried and jarred up enough to last years. The aroma is wonderful and the flavor even better. I let my chives re-seed themselves right where they are and there are some babies popping up. The basil is peaking through, too.

Our window of opportunity for lettuces, spinach and broccoli is quickly closing. If it hasn't been planted, it's too late. By April we'll be having temps in the low 90's. So, I'm actually getting ready to seed okra and corn. I'll do continuous seedings of all my veggies and get harvest until November.

I find it interesting to hear how different all our climates are. We all have pros and cons to where we are.

Side note....many of my ancestors came through Nova Scotia to south Louisiana. They're all Cajun or Acadian. I have a family heirloom that traveled from Europe to Canada to Louisiana and now sits in my daughter's bedroom. It's an old iron bed. It dates to around 300 years old, survived a house fire in Europe, made its way across the ocean and survived travelling from Canada to Louisiana. My people settled in New Iberia and I now live in Texas. Down here Texas and Louisiana are sometimes "friendly enemies" Both states are considered countries of their own and the people are very proud.

Anyway, seeing where you're from, I just wanted to share that with you.

Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2006 :  7:31:55 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jocelyn,
It has been so mild here in No IL that I planted lettuce on Friday - just before it snowed 5 inches! I put it in the cold frame tho and put the window over it - so its snug in the bed and I hope to see it up sooooon! I planted spinach and radishes last October - and they did not die - we have eaten some spinach already, and a few of the radishes, too. Am I in a hurry? No, not me. Dandelions are the first thing around here.

"...a merry heart is a good medicine, it has the power to cure."
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2006 :  09:01:08 AM  Show Profile
I may try to plant some lettuce under the coldframe this weekend. Maybe spinach also.
The weather is so crazy this year....
My mom actually had a pansie that had bloomed in her flower box this weekend.
I still think we are in for some bad weather, so I am a little leary of planting much.

But the nice weather sure makes you have the planting fever. I am planning on getting some of my starts, started inside before long though!!
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2006 :  10:13:12 AM  Show Profile
I may try to plant some lettuce under the coldframe this weekend. Maybe spinach also.
The weather is so crazy this year....
My mom actually had a pansie that had bloomed in her flower box this weekend.
I still think we are in for some bad weather, so I am a little leary of planting much.

But the nice weather sure makes you have the planting fever. I am planning on getting some of my starts, started inside before long though!!
Go to Top of Page

JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2006 :  11:21:22 AM  Show Profile
well girls, the mild weather didn't last too long we had. it snowed and was freezing cold for a bit, and now here today, everything is melting, so i thought with the mild weather we had befor, i was going to try to plant some spinace tee hee!! scraped that idea, oh well! soon soon, i had some the other day though from my freezer, it does freeze well , tasty too, even though it was frozen, any of u girls freeze your spinache? it does freeze quite well and is still tasty. jo~

love is all you need
Go to Top of Page

Tatiana
True Blue Farmgirl

98 Posts

Tania
Boise ID
USA
98 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2006 :  1:59:40 PM  Show Profile
They say here in Boise that St. Paddy's day is time to plant peas. We noticed daffodils and crocus are up as we walked in from church. I am betting that there are some chives poking out in the backyard if I look. It is fun to know that winter will be over soon, though I appreciate every bit of snow we get to even out our drought.

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2006 :  2:44:51 PM  Show Profile
the last couple day's weather surely has given hank and i spring fever too .. but i know 'ole man winter isn't ready to depart these hills of kentucky yet'! but i've been loving just being outside in the yard doin' some cleanin' up of garden beds and refurbishing bird houses and feeders. if we get a few more days .. we might just have to take a little camping trip!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2006 :  3:31:51 PM  Show Profile
just when i thought it was going to be a mild winter here we are now berrrr! been really coooold and i hear we are in for a nice blizzard tonight! i love winter too, but not the high winds. oh well! spring will sure to get here soon hopefully, there were tulips starting up at one point this yr. as we have had it really mild so far, i wonder what will hapen to those tulips,? jo~

love is all you need
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2006 :  06:37:35 AM  Show Profile
Well we have had spring like weather pretty much all winter here (well except for the lack of rain). The temps have been in the 60-70 range. It does get cool at night but during the day it's beautiful. I got sick of letting these kind of days get by me so yesterday I did some planting. I have onions, basil, and strawberries planted. Then I started my seeds indoors for my peppers, tomatoes, and eggplant.

I know it's really spring though when all the weeds start popping up, those things drive me crazy!!!
Go to Top of Page

JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2006 :  05:16:43 AM  Show Profile
hi everyone! i planted tulips and wondering if it may be too early? it is october and i heard november, it didn't say on the box so i planted them anyways? hopeing they'll appear in the spring! jo!

i thought love was all you needed? courage is needed too!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic SPRING BREAK?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page