Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Join Me On My Hatching Journey
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Join Me On My Hatching Journey Next Topic
Page: of 3

twzlrwho
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

christina
dewitt va
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2009 :  06:03:24 AM  Show Profile
Heather those pics are great!!! From what I understand you shouldn't worry to much with an occasional drop in temp. In nature the mom has to eat and poop, so she jumps off the nest for a little bit. It might delay the hatch but it won't kill all of them right then.

I haven't been able to get any pics lately. They are all dark and you can't really see anything. Today I move them to the hatcher and hopefully this weekend we will have fuzzy butts. I can't tell you how excited I am. I promise I will have pics of the fuzzies ASAP!!

I am sorry I haven't been on to update everyone. My dog got into my coop (again) and killed 22 of my chickens...sigh. So this week I have built a fence down half my yard and scurried around finding more chickens...LOL. I am so addicted. I have a coop full of chickens,a brooder full of fuzzy butts, and a bator full of eggs. AHHh life is good again. I have also been playing doctor to 2 of my Bantam Barred Rock chicks. When I picked them up there was one that hatched out with spraddled legs and of course I couldn't leave it behind. I brought him home, taped his legs and pumped him full of vitamins. I am happy to report yesterday I removed the tape and he is now walking on his own. Of course he will never make the breeding program but he will always have a place on my farm.

Of course the rest of my time has been spent evaluating the rest of the new crew. Bathing for mites and worming. Making sure nobody is being pecked obsessively, everyone is eating/drinking and watching for coccidia. You just never know what you are bringing home. I enjoy it though. It is about the only thing I can do without my kids being right underneath me. HAHA Me time.

Would you like to pics of my fuzzy butts? I can post some pics of them this evening if you like.

Again I am sorry for not updating sooner and thanks for hanging in there with me.

HUGS

Christina

Work like you don't have to, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like nobody is watching :)
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2009 :  07:50:08 AM  Show Profile
That's so sad to lose that many chickens. I have a friend who's dog is always killing something. It's an Aust. cattle dog. He ran 3 pregnant goats to death not long ago. I had sold him 2 of my goat babies and another dog killed them both. They were named after 2 of my grandkids, too. So sad.

I hope you have better luck with the new chickens.

Kris

Life is what you make it. Always has been. Always will be.
Go to Top of Page

farmchick4
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Heather
Beulah Nd
27 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2009 :  7:43:53 PM  Show Profile
Yes Christina,
I'm sure we all want to see some of those babies!!! Sorry to hear about the loss. I understand the addiction completely! I only have 7 girls now. Actually eight, but one is seperated and I'm going to try to sell her. She is the bully and has been obsessively picking on my new Ameracaunas which in turn shows the others what to do. So then we have all of them ganging up on one. The other newbie is smarter and hops up out of the way. So ever since I've removed her from the flock, everything has been great.
I've got quite the group in the incubator 12 or so, but so far only 2 look good. (see pics) One was a quitter and the rest are too soon to tell. I just enjoy watching this whole process. Send on some more pics!!!
Take care~
Heather
Go to Top of Page

twzlrwho
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

christina
dewitt va
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2009 :  08:23:37 AM  Show Profile
Heather,
Are you as nervous as me? When are your eggs due to hatch? I am a nervous wreck LOL. All I want is for 1 to hatch and I will be satisfied. LOL

Ok here are some fuzzy butts.

Bantam Barred Rocks and 1 Mille Fluer D'uccle

Barred Rock pullets and an Easter Egger pullet

They still look a bit scruffy but are doing great.

The big one is an EE. The rest are Welsummers and BLR Wyandottes.

HUGS

Christina

Work like you don't have to, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like nobody is watching :)
Go to Top of Page

twzlrwho
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

christina
dewitt va
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2009 :  08:27:03 AM  Show Profile
Kristin,
I am so sorry about your goats. A loss on the farm can really be hard. Hugs

Christina

Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2009 :  08:29:53 AM  Show Profile
Thank you so much for sharing your pictures. I can feel the love you have for your chickies through your postings. What a blessing.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

farmchick4
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Heather
Beulah Nd
27 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2009 :  09:31:48 AM  Show Profile
Oh Christina!
They are adorable!!! And yes we are just as nervous about due date as you are. The first one is due on Monday(13). Then the following friday (17th). And last night I found that I have one more fert. egg, so she won't be due to hatch for a while since she's only on day 3. My boys (6&9) are very excited as well as me and my hubby. I too am just hoping for one or two, so that the one doesn't have to be alone. I'm still sticking my blue eggs in the incub. because I dont' want to sell fertilized eggs, so may as well hatch them! Once they are unfert. then I'll start selling those eggs along with my RI eggs.
You have a wonderful set-up. Adorable! Good Luck and keep me posted!
Heather
Go to Top of Page

twzlrwho
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

christina
dewitt va
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2009 :  11:29:05 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Betty!

Hey Heather oh I can't wait till mine start laying. I love fresh eggs. My kids (11,10,5,3)and hubby are excited too. They have already planned to stay up all weekend so they won't miss anything. Please keep me posted as well. Don't forget pics ;)

Christina

Go to Top of Page

twzlrwho
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

christina
dewitt va
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2009 :  09:08:40 AM  Show Profile
I HAVE ONE HATCHED!!!! Sorry to shout but I am so excited. Pics will be posted later this evening and if it cooperates maybe a video. So far I have one out and one pip. Here we go!

Christina

Go to Top of Page

farmchick4
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Heather
Beulah Nd
27 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2009 :  6:34:32 PM  Show Profile
Yay!!!! I'm so excited for you!!! I'm anxiously awaiting monday for my first! Today I did buy 6 new pullet chicks and so if things should not go too well, I'll still be able to increase my flock. It's fun having the little peepers again! Ugh. I'm so addicted. :)
Heather
Go to Top of Page

twzlrwho
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

christina
dewitt va
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2009 :  5:02:04 PM  Show Profile
Here are the pics!!!

I know exactly what you mean about being addicted. I have staggered hatches in the bator. One batch due next weekend another at the end of April and ducks due in May. I hope they turn out better than this one. I have to remember I started these in a home made incubator. It's really a wonder any of them hatched. I am leaving these in until Monday just in case there are some late bloomers but I am thrilled with my results.

Good Luck Heather!

Christina

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2009 :  5:13:30 PM  Show Profile
Has it been 21 days already? My goodness how time flies. Did they all hatch? And you will have to tell me how you made the incubator? It looks like an egg carton with a light under it.

Congrats on the new chickies.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2009 :  9:59:31 PM  Show Profile
Oh how wonderful!!! I bought some little fuzzy butts this year and I am having tons of fun with them so to have them hatch , wow that must be even more fun!!!! Congrats to you!!!

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2009 :  10:03:47 PM  Show Profile
Oh yea what do you worm your chickens with and how often and at what ages?

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
Go to Top of Page

farmchick4
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Heather
Beulah Nd
27 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2009 :  05:10:45 AM  Show Profile
Wonderful pics Christina! It's gotta be pretty exciting at your house. Last night I culled more nonfert eggs from the bator. Now we wait to see what will happen!
Happy Easter!
Heather
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2009 :  07:21:24 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow! Congrats!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjournies.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

farmchick4
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Heather
Beulah Nd
27 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2009 :  11:08:28 AM  Show Profile
I'm a little upset. This morning when I went to turn the eggs (except for 1 due to hatch) my temp in bator was at 82. It had to have been like that all night because I checked it last night. So, I guess now we wait to see how it affected them. Hopefully they'll be alright. Next time around, I'm getting an automatic turner ! :) I'll keep you all posted!!!
Heather
Go to Top of Page

twzlrwho
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

christina
dewitt va
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  07:14:17 AM  Show Profile
I had 3 hatch but 2 made it. The morning after these hatched I woke up to the temp in the incubator at 109. So who knows.

The incubator I started with is an aquarium set up for a reptile but the temp swings were too much so I went to TSC and got a real one.

Beverley, I supplement with vitamin e and poly-vi-sol for the first 3 days. I have had some real bad luck with unhealthy chicks.(when I have bought them) It's amazing what a vitamin deficiency will cause in a chick. After they are 2 wks old then they get a little apple cider vinegar in their water. That helps with worms and internal parasites. I also use medicated feed.

Heather I hate that for you. It's so hard to see in the eggs and know for sure. That was what frusterated me the most. I'm sending good hatching vibes your way! Turners! I was thinking the same thing. You lose all heat and humidity when you hand turn and it's so hard to get it adjusted again.

Kristin this is the Little Giant incubator that you can find at Tractor Supply. However you can make one with a styrofoam cooler, light bulb, hygrometer and a few other things. Do a search for homemade incubator and see. You can make one for nearly no money at all.

Thank you everyone for following along with me!!!!

I hope everyone had a great Easter!

Christina

Go to Top of Page

farmchick4
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Heather
Beulah Nd
27 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2009 :  06:27:52 AM  Show Profile
Well, so far it doesn't appear that the lower temp overnight affected any of the eggs! Yesterday one of the eggs hatched right on time!!!
Go to Top of Page

farmchick4
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Heather
Beulah Nd
27 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2009 :  06:30:00 AM  Show Profile
Whoops~Here she is!!!

Ameracauna chick
Go to Top of Page

twzlrwho
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

christina
dewitt va
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2009 :  10:36:39 AM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness look at that baby!!!! CONGRADULATIONS! That is precious. I'm so happy for you. I can't wait to see what else pops up over there. Must be something in the water ;) I will get some good update pics this week of my little ones. They turned out to be bantams, so tiny. Fingers crossed for the next due.

HUGS

Christina

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2009 :  12:57:25 PM  Show Profile
Heather, it looks like a little tourtous shell kitten. So cute. We have 7 more days to go on the hen setting on the eggs. I'm just going to let her raise them. I have 15 Buffs coming on the 24th. So I'll have my hands full with all them plus some other kinds, too. Have fun with yours. They are all so cute. Gotta love those baby chicks!

Kris

Go to Top of Page

KansasConnie
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Connie
Atchison County Kansas
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2009 :  2:35:28 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for posting this girls! I'm planning to hatch some next spring (When a have a roo big enough to get the job done!).

Kansas Connie
Go to Top of Page

farmchick4
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Heather
Beulah Nd
27 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2009 :  4:25:09 PM  Show Profile
Hello all~
Thanks for all the awesome comments. She's still a little wobbly but appears to be doing fine. Her name is "Gwen". Hopefully she is a Gwen not a Glen. :)LOL!!! Good luck to you all on your ventures...I'll be back to inform how the next hatch goes on Fri.
Heather
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2009 :  7:32:34 PM  Show Profile
I have 2 ameracana chicks myself but I bought them already hatched. I can't wait for blueish eggs in a few months.. Your baby is sooooo cute!!!!!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Join Me On My Hatching Journey Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page