Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Join Me On My Hatching Journey
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Join Me On My Hatching Journey Next Topic
Page: of 3

twzlrwho
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

christina
dewitt va
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  09:37:04 AM  Show Profile
Ok so I have my first hatch in the incubator on day 3. I thought it would be interesting to share my journey with my farmgirl sisters. I candled the eggs this morning and feel pretty good about them being fertile and growing nicely. Every time I candle I will share the pics! Here we go girls!!!! I hope you enjoy this just as much as I do.

Day 3

I will be candling again in 4 days. Stay tuned...

Christina

Work like you don't have to, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like nobody is watching :)

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  12:24:18 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Christina. It is amazing to me.

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  4:50:03 PM  Show Profile
How neat is that? Is the darker area a baby chick? I can't wait to see again in 4 days. How long do you candle the eggs?

Thanks for letting us see this miracle.

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

twzlrwho
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

christina
dewitt va
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  5:11:59 PM  Show Profile
Fingers crossed that the dark area is the chick. I will candle every few days until day 18. If everything goes right they are due Easter weekend. I'm so excited!!! The next pictures should have veins visible in the pics. I'm happy ya'll are as excited as I am. Thanks hugs.

Christina

Work like you don't have to, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like nobody is watching :)
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  5:44:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
The last one is that a vein?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

twzlrwho
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

christina
dewitt va
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2009 :  05:31:16 AM  Show Profile
No, I have each side marked so I won't get confused when I turn them. I turn them 3 times a day.

Christina

Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2009 :  3:34:09 PM  Show Profile
Oh how exciting! Thanks for sharing and can't wait to see the progress!

Hugs,
Maryjane Lee

Farmgirl #44
Sisters on the Fly #595

http://thebeehivecottage.blogspot.com

http://beehivecottage.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

farmchick4
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Heather
Beulah Nd
27 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2009 :  7:52:49 PM  Show Profile
I'm so excited to find this post! I'm incubating for the first time and started my eggs on the 23rd. I can use any advice I can get. So far mine look like yours do, except one of mine is really porous, so I dont' think it's a keeper.
Go to Top of Page

idsweetie72
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Sandra
New Meadows idaho
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2009 :  8:03:24 PM  Show Profile
this is so great! Thanks for sharing!

Mazy Day Farm
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2009 :  8:37:56 PM  Show Profile
I'm getting ready to start incubating as well. Heather- don't worry about pores, an eggshell is actually full of pores- that's why you don't wash the eggs, it'll take the bloom off and things can get in and out. So as long as you didn't wash your eggs with water, it should be fine. I was planning on taking some pics for my blog- especially once they get hatching. That's the best!

http://plumcreekmama.blogspot.com/

http://plumcreekcreations.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

farmchick4
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Heather
Beulah Nd
27 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2009 :  04:58:02 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the encouragement. They are Ameracauna eggs and I cant' see any veins yet, but I'm hoping maybe by Sunday I'll see something. I'll try to figure out how to post pictures on here so I can share as well.
Go to Top of Page

twzlrwho
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

christina
dewitt va
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2009 :  07:21:35 AM  Show Profile
Sorry I'm late weather knocked out my satellite. Heather I have many porous eggs as well. Some say they have less of a hatch rate and others say they are fine, so we will see :) I'm glad I'm not in this alone. I'd love to see your pics. Good Luck with your hatch!!!

YAY!!!! VEINS!!! I am so dissapointed with these pics. I had to play with them a little in picture manager to get the veins to show. I tried to video but that didn't work :( I can see them wiggling around in the shell and it's just so amazing. I will keep working on the video;)

Ok, here is day 7.

See the veins? WooHoo!!

Thanks girls!

Christina

Go to Top of Page

farmchick4
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Heather
Beulah Nd
27 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2009 :  08:33:32 AM  Show Profile
That is so cool!!! I found the "spider" in one of my eggs also. They are on day 6. The other 2 dont' look good though. My pictures are too blurry to post though. Good job!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2009 :  08:37:41 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is SOOO cool! I can see them!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

twzlrwho
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

christina
dewitt va
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2009 :  08:51:33 AM  Show Profile
Heather don't fret. If they are dark or porous eggs it might take a little longer for them to show veining. I have my fingers crossed for you. I wouldn't worry too much just watch for weeping or sweating. If this happens remove egg immediately. It could explode and compromise your hatch all together. If you have any questions, I have found this site that is amazing for info...http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/index.php. They have some really experienced people there who will answer all your questions.

Thanks Alee I think it's really cool too :)

Christina

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2009 :  09:13:29 AM  Show Profile
14 more days to go! That is so neat to see the difference in just a few days time.

Kris

Life is what you make it. Always has been. Always will be.
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2009 :  11:11:08 AM  Show Profile
The picture looks wonderful to me Christina! Wow, wiggling going on! Thanks for the visual also!!!

Hugs,
Maryjane Lee

Farmgirl #44
Sisters on the Fly #595

http://thebeehivecottage.blogspot.com

http://beehivecottage.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

farmchick4
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Heather
Beulah Nd
27 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2009 :  2:38:32 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Christina~
I added a couple of more eggs to my incubator. The man I bought these girls from suggested to do that since the eggs should still be fertile. So now I have 5 eggs in there, but I'm almost positive that 2 won't hatch. How do I put my pictures on here???
Heather
Go to Top of Page

twzlrwho
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

christina
dewitt va
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2009 :  06:22:58 AM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone!

Heather how I did my pictures...upload to photobucket, copy the image code and paste it in with a reply or a new thread.

Christina

Go to Top of Page

twzlrwho
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

christina
dewitt va
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2009 :  06:35:38 AM  Show Profile
And Heather, don't feel bad I culled half my eggs last night. 3 that weren't fertile and 6 quitters. It happens, but we will get the hang of it ;)

Christina

Go to Top of Page

farmchick4
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Heather
Beulah Nd
27 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2009 :  5:43:40 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Christina for the info. Sorry some didn't work out for you. I'm not too optimistic about this group. I've been gone for 4 days, however a great friend of mine volunteered to turn them (no turner for me yet :). But with transporting them, the temp got below 90 for a few minutes, so we'll see. Tonight I'm going to candle and see what's been going on while Ive been gone. If these don't work out, I'll definetly try it again.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2009 :  8:13:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That's too bad that you had to cull some. I can't wait to see the next photos though!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

twzlrwho
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

christina
dewitt va
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2009 :  03:30:25 AM  Show Profile
I candled last night and wasn't too sure of what I saw. The eggs are so dark it's so hard to see in them. I am hoping I couldn't see anything because the chick inside is too big...LOL..IDK though. There wasn't too much movement going on which has me worried a little. I will see if I can get a good pic for ya'll. One more week!!!!! Hopefully I will have some fuzzy butts.
Fingers crossed.

Christina

Go to Top of Page

ponypower
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Lily
Caspar Ca
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2009 :  12:04:02 PM  Show Profile
Fuzzy Butts Yeah!!!!!!!

Lily
Go to Top of Page

farmchick4
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Heather
Beulah Nd
27 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2009 :  8:05:52 PM  Show Profile
Hey Christina~
My one egg that is 12 days old now is very dark inside also. I think I can see at least one vein, but it's hard to tell. Also I thought that I saw a darker spot, larger than on my 7 day old. I also think that I saw movement, although it was slower and more subtle. It's hard to say, hoping for the best I guess. One of my 7 day old eggs is very active. It's amazing watching it move around in there!!!
Go to Top of Page

farmchick4
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Heather
Beulah Nd
27 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2009 :  06:25:28 AM  Show Profile
This is day 7, the blackish larger spot is the eye and the body is on top...she is upside down. So cool.
Here is day 12, not sure what to make of it. I lightened it up a bit so it's actually easier to see.
Heather
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Join Me On My Hatching Journey Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page