Farmgirlheart
True Blue Farmgirl

103 Posts

Valerie
Los Angeles California
USA
103 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2009 :  4:49:50 PM  Show Profile
Hello ladies! I was wondering who here is an expert strawberry grower? I seem to be having trouble with them more than any of my other seeds. One patch of them have not even started growing and its been a little while, and the other patch seems to be frozen in time. They got to about a half inch tall and that's it! Please help!

NudeFoodFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Heide
Benton City WA
433 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2009 :  08:14:18 AM  Show Profile
Wow! I never have started strawberries from seeds, because I have so many volunteers. My strawberries sprout around 10 starts per plant. But how cool to start from seed. I know from experience that some seeds (like herb) seed take a little longer. If it has been over a month it isn't probably good. Have you kept the soils moist? Also they need a ton of sunlight. . . I hope I am helping. Also they like it cool, maybe it is too warm where you have them.

Best wishes,
Heide

Nude Food Farm
~Grown so good,
Dressing is Optional.
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2009 :  09:45:16 AM  Show Profile
My strawberry plants are in tiered planters against the north side of the house. They grow like crazy. I haven't started from seed as they just keep sprouting new babies. But they love moist dirt and they get lots of sun but mostly morning. Maybe go on line and see if you can find info about strawberry seeds. Don't know if this will help but have fun trying to figure out the mystery. Looking forward to an update.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

Farmgirlheart
True Blue Farmgirl

103 Posts

Valerie
Los Angeles California
USA
103 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2009 :  2:13:33 PM  Show Profile
Thanks ladies! I might just go ahead and get som already started plants as well. that way I know they'll be more likely to grow and I can be more experimental with the seedlings!
HUGS!!!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2009 :  7:09:16 PM  Show Profile
3 years ago I ordered 200 plants. We made 7 raised rows and put down the weed barrier and put lots of mulch down the rows. In each hole I put some good soil and put the plant in then gave them a drink of fish emulsion that was diluted in water. That's what the paper said to do. Then the first year we were to pick off all the flowers so they could concentrate on growing the plant. The next year we had a pretty good bit. But last year we had so many strawberries. But it rained so much I was having to pick in the rain and the berries were mushy. Later they got nice and big and so sweet. I sold alot of them and put lots in the freezer.

This year there are plants all over. My hubby just weed whacked all around the plants and we need to get more mulch. I had to get the netting last year, too. The birds got as much as we did. They are so good.

But that many is a lot of work and upkeep. I am glad we have them all, though.

I hope you have better luck with the plants. And try the fish emulsion. It's a liquid I got at the hardware store. It made several gallons.

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Strawberries Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page