michgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

148 Posts

Mary
Glendale WI
USA
148 Posts

Posted - May 02 2009 :  4:59:48 PM  Show Profile
I agree with Cindy Lee- I loved and eventually bought the CD I loved it so much!
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - May 03 2009 :  3:05:19 PM  Show Profile
I totally loved this book. It took me a while to get through the initial asparagus chapter cause I hate asparaus and I was like....come on people...enough with the asparagus...but I suppose I'd be enthralled with asparagus if I had ever eaten it fresh from the earth and not transported thousands of miles away, frozen, thawed, sauted and served limp on my plate...lol!!!

My favorite part was getting the overall sense of the rhythm to a year of gardening and living on the land. It was wonderful!

Playing in the Sonshine
http://www.homesteadblogger.com/sonshine4u
Go to Top of Page

NikkiBeaumont
True Blue Farmgirl

473 Posts

473 Posts

Posted - May 21 2009 :  05:43:36 AM  Show Profile
I laughed. I cried. I salivated.

Oh, y'all! I just finished AVM and absolutely loved it! The turkey sex part was hysterical!

Gosh, I have never been so hungry as I read a book in my life. I am convinced that I MUST make my own mozzarella, can my own tomatoes, and bake bread in an outdoor oven or my life will have been a fruitless waste of time. No, really. I will be famished until I do these things. Nothing will satisfy. Well, maybe a trip to the farmer's market will tide me over for a while. Ha!

Farmgirl Sister #554
Go to Top of Page

CascadeFootHillsFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

133 Posts

Stephanie
Granite Falls Wa.
USA
133 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2010 :  10:36:51 AM  Show Profile
I stood at the meat department today for 3 minutes reading labels and ended up walking away.

I am going to have to drive 30 min. to a PCC and pay big bucks for anything healthy. Then I will try to network and find it closer to home.
Maybe my idea to raise chickens for eggs should include raising chickens for their meat too.

I really didn't think I'd go there but after starting her book I just felt ill standing there in the store.

& I am only 52 pages into the book. Right at the part where they talk about how warped the seeds we have been buying are.
Thanks for listening to a newbie!
Stephanie

"A cabin with plenty of food is better than a hungry castle." Irish Quote

Edited by - CascadeFootHillsFarmgirl on Feb 17 2010 5:15:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2010 :  6:34:04 PM  Show Profile
It really changes the way you think doesn't it? There are things I can't even imagine buying/eating any more
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2010 :  7:11:03 PM  Show Profile
I read AVM and loved it. I'm currently listening to Jane Goodall's Harvest for Hope on CD and it's mind-boggling--that Monsanto would sue small organic farmers, claiming that the farmers infringed upon their patented GM seeds, because cross pollination occurred. Barbara Kingsolver writes about it too in her book. I swear, it makes me wary everytime I take a bite of food. Has it been genetically modified? am I unintentionally supporting Monsanto? I'm glad I have a garden planned for this spring, because going to the grocery store is starting to take on the feel of a science fiction novel.I'm glad that women like Barbara Kingsolver and Jane Goodall are getting the word out on what's going on. We MUST take back control of our food.

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MommaJ9
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Kimberly
Longview Washington
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2010 :  10:12:51 PM  Show Profile
Stephanie, we're about in the same place in the book...I felt guilty buying asparagus from California yesterday!

Farmgirl #783
http://jabezfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

CascadeFootHillsFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

133 Posts

Stephanie
Granite Falls Wa.
USA
133 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  10:44:49 AM  Show Profile
I noticed 2 produce/fruit stands yesterday that are actually open right now. We are having a mild winter but it's not that mild!
The mushrooms growing in my yard are not the famous morels she talks about.

"A cabin with plenty of food is better than a hungry castle." Irish Quote
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Reading Room: Previous Topic Animal, Vegetable, Miracle Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page