harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  09:07:04 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday, as much as I'd like to remember the Sabbath, with our work schedules outside the farm the way they are, we usually have to "make hay while the sun shines" and work on Sunday.
Yesterday was no exception. We spent the morning cleaning out the chicken coop. All of the contents went to the compost bin. I bought a bale of hay ($6.00 whew!) to put in the nesting boxes. My oldest son does custom trim work and we use the huge bags of sawdust as bedding on the floor. What a nice pine scent the chicken coop has now. The "ladies" thanked us and then we made a trip to Coolville, Ohio so my DH could do an estimate on a kitchen remodel. We went to the grocery store on our way home as Mother Hubbard's cupboard was getting bare of staples. We only had $48.00 to spend and made such a game of how much food we could buy. We had coupons and the sale paper from the grocery store so actually we did quite well! I remember my mom spending $37.00 a week on groceries and my brother and I lugging in 7-9 bags of groceries...Wish those days would return..eh?
It's been two weeks since I did the major unplug of appliances not in use. I can't wait till we get our next electric bill to see if it made a difference. I'm doing dishes differently to save water and gas. We're thinking about buying a composting toilet...anyone have one and can give us some insights on how they do?
It's amazing how our thought processes are changing about how we live on our farm...how are yours changing?
A good week to all...thanks for keeping the farmgirl spirit alive!
Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  09:55:22 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
What did you unplug, Debbie? I hope you keep us posted about the difference in your bill. I need to be better about that, too. Do you have salvage groceries in your area? I buy a lot of things there. They don't take coupons, but the price difference is usually very big. And I fully understand about the work schedule thing, too. I have to use every daylight hour of my weekends.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Tina Kay
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Tina Kay
Deary ID
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  10:15:31 AM  Show Profile
I sure can think of a few items that I would unplug. Like lamps in rooms unused(if anyone has them), my microwave (never use it), printers, paper shredders, sewing machines, chargers for games or phones (if your children are anything like my girl they leave everything plugged in) and that is all I can think of.
Thanks for the idea!!!! I have never thought of unplugging things.
Tina Kay

PS Maybe the waher and dryer inbetween washes?!!

Now I get me up to work, I pray the Lord I may not shirk. If I should die before tonight, I pray the Lord my work's all right. Anon.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  10:16:04 AM  Show Profile
Debbie, work on a farm does not end on Sunday. How well I know that. Things break, animals escape or get sick, stuff happens.

As far as a composting toilet, they are rather expensive. I can't remember who I got a catalog from a few years back, but they were in the thousands if dollars. So we did not get one. I thought it would be cheaper to do that upstairs than have it all plumbed and all that, but no, it wasn't. It is a good thing to have and would love to have one one day.

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  10:27:40 AM  Show Profile
We have a nine room farmhouse. The only things that are staying plugged in are...
Bathroom...1 chest freezer
Laundry room...washer & dryer
Enclosed porch...0
Kitchen...refrigerator, phone answering machine
Living room...0
Sewing room...0
1st bedroom...0
2nd bedroom...1 alarm clock
3rd room...1 alarm clock
I replaced two electric clocks with battery jobs I found at a thrift store.
Janice- we don't have salvage stores in our area...but we do have a few no frills groceries that you select things from boxes or buy things by the case...that helps. I'm boycotting Walmart, so that leaves Sam's Club out too..but the nearest Sam's Club for us is an 80 mile round trip.
Amazing how some people would be so discouraged by having to be creative about grocery shopping. We turned it into a game!
Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic If I rest, I rust! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page