Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Printed Book of Grandma's Recipes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Printed Book of Grandma's Recipes Next Topic  

sjs
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Stephanie
Oakland CA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2009 :  11:06:26 PM  Show Profile  Send sjs an AOL message  Send sjs a Yahoo! Message
A few months ago I thought about the fact that my grandmother wouldn't be around forever, and how most of my memories of her revolve around food. I decided to ask her if she'd be willing to put together a collection of her recipes, in her own handwriting, so that I could scan them and put them in a blurb.com or lulu book. I'd then have copies printed for my family for Christmas.

She's open to the idea, and I'm thinking that I'm going to decorate the pages with some of her crafts, like her cross-stitching, etc. There's not enough to fill up the whole thing, though, and I don't know how to really decorate one of these books. I'm looking for ideas! What else can I do to make it pretty? I'm generally one of those people who's better at working with tools/hardware than they are making things attractive, so I'm sort of at a loss. Any advice you can give would be awesome.

And to give you a better idea of what kind of book I'm putting together, here a link to a preview of my wedding album, which is in a very similar format:

http://www.blurb.com/books/117783

Next I'm hoping to do one for my whole family on my mom's side!

--------------------
Learning to live is learning to let go.

Visit my food blog! http://www.wasabimon.com - natural cooking to live for.

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  12:55:48 AM  Show Profile
Stephanie, what a WONDERFUL idea!! I would have loved to have my Omi's recipes and some of her handiworks in a book as well.
LOVE the wedding album, beautiful wedding gown!!

Ideas, hmm let's see. Maybe some pictures of your grandma also, maybe you have a few where she is actually cooking or writing down something? Or where she is crafting?
Some clippings from newspapers etc (online) from the time she was born?
Memories she shared, about married life, raising children and cooking stories? Cooking disasters she made, everyone makes them, lol.
Integrate them around the recipes and craft items. would make a lovely book!!!!!

IF I think of something more, i will let ya know.

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Printed Book of Grandma's Recipes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page