Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Apple Trees and Goats. HELP!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Apple Trees and Goats. HELP! Next Topic  

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2009 :  06:19:08 AM  Show Profile
I have 3 old apple trees in my yard. And I let the goats out to eat the new grass coming up right now. But they usuallt nibble on the bark of the apple trees. And sometimes when they are in bloom and are full of leaves, the goats get out and go straight to them.

Is there a safe spray that I could spray on the trees to deter the goats that would not hurt trees or goats? I thought I's try just a soapy water spray for starters.

Any suggestions??

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb

idsweetie72
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Sandra
New Meadows idaho
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2009 :  06:51:19 AM  Show Profile
We are putting the stiff cattle fencing around our trees so the goats can't get to them. There is also a spray you might try that is for deer- I don't remember the name for it- but ask around your local feed store or garden store.

Mazy Day Farm
Go to Top of Page

Especially For You
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

Tina
Watkinsville GA
541 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2009 :  07:05:56 AM  Show Profile
We use that deer stuff.It is called deer off. We get at Lowes.

Tina
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2009 :  10:10:54 AM  Show Profile
Good luck keeping them off. I would suggest wire fencing around them also. It will be almost impossible to keep them off.
Hope you figure it out!

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2009 :  11:10:42 AM  Show Profile
Good luck; I'd be interested in hearing how the Deer Off works....it's a goat's instinct to browse on trees and bushes, not grass! Hope your trees don't suffer too much damage.

The Biz www.tvalahandmade.com
The Blog: http://blog.tvalahandmade.com/
The Bits www.happydalehobby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2009 :  7:00:28 PM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone. I will have to go back to Lowes tomorrow so will check out the deer off. And I do have some fencing I could just put up around the trees.

I remember when we lived in Ringgold our neighbor had a back yard full of fruit trees. They got goats and they tried all kinds of things to keep them away from them. Nothing worked and they lost every one of the trees. So I guess it's near impossible to keep them off the trees.Every tree out back where I keep the goats is stripped clean now.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

frolicnfibers
True Blue Farmgirl

668 Posts

Diana
White City Oregon
USA
668 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2009 :  07:47:59 AM  Show Profile
Yep, I'm thinking some really stout fencing might work. They are crafty little buggers!

Diana

Please come visit my animals and my Etsy store on my new blog!
http://www.frolicnfibers.blogspot.com
http://www.frolicnfibers.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2009 :  10:04:00 AM  Show Profile
Yes they are. Thay keep sneaking over there, too. It's rainy this weekend and they don't come out of the barn. So the trees are safe for a few days.

Diana, how's the barn coming along? Any more progress?

Kris

Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  4:38:25 PM  Show Profile
Goats are browsers, not grass eaters....they are in the same class and/or genus as Deer......they will ALWAYS eat brush, trees, and other things rather than grass...although they will eat grass if that is all they have....
Goats do not have bottom front teeth, which it takes to eat grass well....so that is why they will ALWAYS head straight for trees, roses, brush before grass.........
Just thought I would put in my 2 cents worth....
To save trees, roses, brush, the only way I know of is to NOT let them around them...otherwise, they WILL always find a way to eat them......I had goats for 20 years and always had to learn the hard way about them......

Farmgirl Sister #368

http://blogonthefarmandgarden.blogspot.com
http://froccsfrillsfurbiloesandmore.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2009 :  3:14:22 PM  Show Profile
Dont laugh, ok, go ahead, I have that prblem with mine with the apple and cherry tree barks only. I put hog fence around the trees. The goats still try and put their heads thru the fence holes but if its large enough around the tree, they cant reach it. When I see them go towards the teree areas, I yell at them and they dont like it so they scatter away. My goats also know the word ' grain'. I ask them if they want some grain and walk toward the barn where I keep it stored. They usually drop what they are doing and run to me as they want the grain. Be careful of letting them eat the yellow looking leaves on cherry trees. I have heard it can contain cyanide, however I havent had the problem with my tree yet and them but I still keep them from eating it when its in wilt stage.

Kim
Farmgirl Sister # 302
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Apple Trees and Goats. HELP! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page