New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic A new twist on cheescake crust Next Topic  

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2004 :  06:22:39 AM  Show Profile
It's that time again when my guys start to bug me for their favorite pumpkin cheesecake. Here's the twist: instead of a graham cracker crust(which I don't like) I crushed up ginger snaps(store or home will do;they just have to be dry ) in the food processor melt a little butter or margarine and add 2-4 TBS brandy. Mix well and press into cheesecake pan and follow the rest of your directions. DELICIOUS!
My husband says I should enter this recipe somewhere but I'm just happy to share! Enjoy! Bramble

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2004 :  6:54:15 PM  Show Profile
Yummy!!!
Eileen

songbird
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2004 :  7:03:25 PM  Show Profile
Bramble this sounds so good! I love ginger snaps and what a great idea to use them for a crust for pumpkin cheesecake. I have got to make this for a weekend fall dessert! Thanks!

Time Flies
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2004 :  9:32:17 PM  Show Profile
oh man...that sounds wonderful..gotta try it!!! I love gingersnaps.

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2004 :  6:39:40 PM  Show Profile
Now this is funny - I just sat down to read the forums, with a cup of tea and some gingersnap cookies!

Cecelia

ce's farm

"Curiosity is one of the forms of feminine bravery" Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

Idahospud
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

Nikki
Emmett Idaho
USA
67 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2004 :  09:12:50 AM  Show Profile
I love the gingersnap idea! DH would be wild for it!

My new fave crust for pumpkin pie or pumpkin cheesecake is a Pecan Praline crust. You put 2 cups of raw pecans through the food processor or blender until they are chopped to a medium consistency. Then you dump in 3 T of sugar, 2 t molasses (I like blackstrap), 4 T melted butter, 1/4 t salt, and 2 T of water. Pulse those together in the blender or food processor until it is a soft, sticky mass. Press it into a well-buttered pie plate or cheesecake pan (whatever you are making), and bake for about 18 minutes. Then pour in the pie or cheesecake filling and bake again according to the directions. YUM!
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2004 :  10:01:48 AM  Show Profile
Nikki-- That sounds FABULOUS! And wicked to boot! We make a pumpkin pie w/ regular crust but you pour a pecan pie mixture similar to yours and bake it and you have a layer of pumpkin and of pecan pie all in the same pie. That was my husband's discovery when he lived in Colorado and we have been making it ever since for Thanksgiving.
I'll have to try your version too! Happy canning .... how far along are you( with the baby, not the canning!)? Bramble

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Idahospud
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

Nikki
Emmett Idaho
USA
67 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2004 :  5:13:04 PM  Show Profile
Oh, I think you might have to post the recipe for that bad boy, bramble! It sounds heavenly!

I'm 6 1/2 months along with #6--girl #5--my poor little son is getting another boss! Actually, he seems to have enough testosterone to more than hold his own! LOL
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2005 :  08:34:22 AM  Show Profile
My great uncle used to make a pumpkin cheesecake with a pecan topping and a gingersnap crust. He had, at one time in his life, been a chef in Las Vegas. Sadly, the recipe died with him. It's rumored to be in one of his hand-written recipe books somewhere, but nobody's found it.
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2005 :  10:47:59 AM  Show Profile
That just sounds delicious! You have to keep trying to figure it out, that's how we finally "found" my Gram's recipe for molasses cookies.
Don't give up! Or maybe someday someone will discover his recipe books! Either way...YUM!! Nice to have you here with us at MJF, hope to hear more from you.

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2005 :  08:36:14 AM  Show Profile
ivmeer... we have a wonderful recipe for my grandmother's chocolate pie that we only have because my mom experimented until she got it right. It wasn't that my grandmother didn't want to share I don't think, but that she'd made it so many times and could do it without a recipe that she really just didn't know how to tell someone to make it.

I've made the gingersnap crust before and it is such a pleasant twist. It's a nice surprise for whomever you are plying with your pies!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic A new twist on cheescake crust Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page