Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Nubian/Fiber Cross? Does this work?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Nubian/Fiber Cross? Does this work? Next Topic  

idsweetie72
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Sandra
New Meadows idaho
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  8:07:21 PM  Show Profile
I have Nubian does, we added them for the dairy aspect- and now- after doing some research- I would REALLY love to add fiber- would a Nubian/Angora work? Anyone know? Or any other suggestions? Thanks!

Mazy Day Farm

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  8:45:35 PM  Show Profile
You will have to cross several generations before you will have fiber that is workable. Crossing a Nubian and a Cashmere will give you down in the first generation but not much and the quality will be questionable. You have to have a great Cashmere to pull it off. As for the Angora I did that many years ago and it was not till the forth generation did you have fiber to show off. I do have one of my Cashmere/Nubian cross gals who is bred to my Angora billy and she last year had twins again and they are Cashgora's which means they have long, fine fiber that is shorn off twice a year. They have a waiting list for their fiber. I wish you good luck with your goats and if I can be of any further assistance just let me know.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Nubian/Fiber Cross? Does this work? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page