Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Anyone have Nigerian Dwarf Goats
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Anyone have Nigerian Dwarf Goats Next Topic  

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2009 :  04:25:00 AM  Show Profile
I am so sad. We were having our first Nigerian babies being born. It has been cold here the last couple of days. I didn't think they were due for another few weeks. Well, 1 of my does had hers and when I found it, it was dead. She hadn't even broken the sack! I could just cry. They are so different than the Nubians we had.
Does anyone raise Nigerians? How can I tell when it is "time"? Are they not very good mothers?

BE HAPPY!!!

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2009 :  10:28:36 PM  Show Profile
I have been raising Nigerian Dwarf goats for nearly 7yrs now and I STILL haven't figured out how to tell when the girls are due-- unless I witness the actual BREEDING!! Which was NOT the case this year.

I have been dealing with a NIGHTMARE lately!! In August, all THREE of my bucks got out. One of the Bucks got out again in October. I had so hoped that they hadn't done much damage, but that was wishful thinking on MY part!

So far 9 of my 14 does have kidded with 1 Single, 3 sets of twins, 2 sets of triplets, 2 sets of quads and 1 set of Quints!!! (what a shock THAT was!!!) Out of 26 babies I have had to bury 12. It's heartbreaking, to say the least. Two does lost ALL their babies (one set of quads and ALL of the quints-- but THAT breeding may have been a father/daughter mistake. The quads were born on a cement slab in 30* weather)

As for being good mothers-- I'd say YES, they are -- for the most part. I have only had one doe reject her babies in all the years I have had them-- and that was when the kids were two weeks old. Two of the does that have recently given birth aren't even a year old yet and their babies are thriving. They are both surprisingly good mothers. (Normally I would NOT breed a doe under 2yrs old, so I am very happy that all has turned out well with them) The second set of quads are thriving as well and ALL of the twins have made it. The babies that have died (except for one) were born to mothers that have had kids before.

I've pretty much given up trying to figure out what has gone wrong. I can make all the guesses I want, but I will never know the TRUTH. Trust me when I say "I feel your pain...."

And I think three more does are pregnant. Two look like they will kid any day now! (HELP!!!) ~~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2009 :  10:34:26 PM  Show Profile
Oh, and did I mention that 18 of the 26 kids are BOYS!!! (I've lost 8 though, along with 4 girls .....sigh.....).

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2009 :  03:21:54 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Tracy for letting me know. My heart breaks thinking of all the babies you have lost. The 1 I lost was a boy also. I only have 3 does and 1 buck and a wether. These are all first time moms. I just thought that maybe she didn't know what to do. It was very cold that day. I have a heat lamp in there, but of course she didn't give birth under it. DO you keep the expecting does separated? The weather has turned very warm 70's yesterday and the next 2 days. I hope the other 2 give birth during the warm days. Do you try to assist your does during birth, or just let them take care of it. I am driving myself insane running to the barn every couple hours. I know what you mean about "boys". It seems we always have plenty of them!! What do you do with your boys? In the past, I have raised Nubians. I always ended up giving away little bucks to friends. I told them as long as they get them as soon as they are weaned, they would be free. Do you let the moms raise their babies? I have in the past. I know alot of people around here think that is terrible because of CAE. Please keep in touch. I want to hear more on how you are doing with your goats. Thanks

BE HAPPY!!!
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2009 :  07:06:44 AM  Show Profile
So sorry Gena; all that waiting and anticipation and then to have it end like that. :( I don't know anything about Nigerians; I have Nubians. Mine are due in the next week or so and luckily, I have a straight shot from my kitchen/ front room windows out to the goat pen and about 200 times a day I'm staring and squinting to see if it's time! :)

As far as the bucklings, I band them with an Elastrator and sell them for pets. I had only 1 doeling last year among 6 boys, but had no trouble selling them (at about $20 less then I as offering the doe). People seem to just want them for entertainment and to eat weeds. :)

The Biz www.tvalahandmade.com
The Blog: http://blog.tvalahandmade.com/
The Bits www.happydalehobby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2009 :  03:49:29 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Molly, I will try to sell the wethers this year. I have run out of friends that want them! LOL! I loved having Nubians, and I may feel the need to get more. A friend of mine bought my whole herd last year (when I was desperate for money). Her children love them so much. I still see them alot, so it worked out. WOnder why we always have so many boys?

BE HAPPY!!!
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2009 :  12:33:58 PM  Show Profile
Hey Gena! -- truthfully, this is the most "Prolific" kid season I have ever had! Up until now, the most kids I ever had in one season was five -- and that was last year.

Most of my kids have been girls, which I've kept, of course, so I have never had to worry about what to do with so many BOYS before! I will most likely do as Molly does. I have already banded them all and a friend of mine has chosen two of the wethers to take home and cuddle when they are weaned next month. Now I just need to get mug shots of the rest and find those cuties a new home!

To answer your last questions-- I used to be just like YOU! A nervous wreck for MONTHS until the last baby hit the ground! But, after raising sheep for 10yrs (and dealing with some pretty nasty genetic issues in 1 line), and having goats for 7, I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that the girls are going to have their babies when they have them-- and ALWAYS when I'm NOT looking!!!! I am fortunate to have ewes and does that give birth unassisted and are, for the MOST part, good mothers.

Losses happen no matter how diligent the shepherd. When they happen now, I don't beat myself up over them (though I'm STILL sad when my babies die). There are no guarantees that my presance will make a difference anyway. I've played the hero in the past with the SAME disasterous results -- and MORE devastated by the loss since I got to know and love the babies -- so I let nature take it's course, though I do intervene if necessary. I can't stand by and not at least TRY to help.

I let the moms raise their own babies. I feel that the kids/lambs thrive better-- they grow faster, stronger and healthier, though, if I were milking my goats, I would not be opposed to bottle feeding them all to make the youngsters friendlier!

I have bottle fed lambs and two kids before (unfortunately, all but one of the kids died. Thus, my lesson in-- it doesn't matter what you do, if that critter isn't meant to live-- it WON'T. HEARTBREAKING!!!). Bottle feeding was tough for me when I was working. I had to take the lambs to a friends Daycare. She had the only "Kid-N-Critter" daycare in town!!!

I don't see giving up my status as "Shepherdess" any time soon. Even though it can be tough sometimes, I love my critters and I look forward to, (as well as DREAD), birthing season every year. This year has been a surprise as far as the goats go, it's been a blessing and a sorrow, but it's not something I would miss out on whatever the odds. Only 2 or 3 does left to go for the goats (unless my eyes are playing tricks on me!), then it's time for wooly babies in April!!!!! Wish me luck!!
~~~ hugs ~~~ Tracy

Edited by - shepherdgirl on Mar 09 2009 12:50:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2009 :  1:15:34 PM  Show Profile
Oh, and as for CAE? I don't worry about that. My "Original" goats came from 2 breeders that I know and trust, and both herds were negative for the dread disease.

One lady is no longer breeding Nigerians, but the other has a rising star-- her goats are becoming quite well known for their superior quality, health and wins in the Show ring. I'm fortunate to have a wonderful buck from her herd -- before her prices went WAAAAY up-- but I will buy another from her in the future, regardless of price. She has superior stock and a passion for her goats, so I know I would never have to worry about ending up with garbage or disease riddled animals. And she's ALWAYS willing to offer good advice and answer any questions I might have, no matter HOW stupid!

It also helps that I keep my own females (both sheep and goats) for my own breeding purposes. I do not add animals often, but when I do, they are isolated for several weeks--months from the rest of the critters until I am certain all is well. I also keep more than one male for each species-- that gives me greater breeding diversity and I don't need to replace them as often. When the original female breeders retire, only then will I think about adding any new rams to my sheep flock (which will be this year or next-- I'll be working on my FOURTH generation of lambs then!!!) --- the goat bucks will not be replaced any time soon-- Unless I find a handsome fella I just can't resist!!! (LOL!!)

Edited by - shepherdgirl on Mar 09 2009 1:17:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2009 :  5:21:08 PM  Show Profile
Tracy, you have been so helpful. I feel better now. I also have gotten my goats from a reputable breeder. I have 2 does left to kid, and they are also first time moms.
I think sheep are so cute. What breed do you raise? Do you raise them to sell, or for their fiber etc.?
Please keep me posted regarding your kids. Do you know how to post pics? I can't seem to figure it out!
Wooly Hugs!!

BE HAPPY!!!
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2009 :  8:50:15 PM  Show Profile
I can't figure out the picture thing either Gena. Besides, our computer is too old to download anything, so it doesn't really matter anyway.

As for sheep, I have Babydolls (both Black and White-- almost a 50-50 flock!!), and a few Jacobs. I've had the Babydolls since 1999 and the Jacobs for only about 3yrs now. I have NO desire to make breeding Jacobs a habit. They are more like goats, rather than docile little sheep and the SIX I have give me enough grief. I can't even IMAGINE having a whole FLOCK of them!

I got into "the business" knowing that if I was going to have animals, I was going to learn to handle every aspect of their care. I shear, trim, vaccinate, doctor, play mid-wife... you name it, I DO it. Now it's time to make something with the wool other than use it as bedding for my Pot Belly pig every Winter! My next big purchase will be a spinning wheel, and maybe a loom! What happens from there, only time will tell.

I'll keep you posted on my kids. The eight older ones are growing fast, and I'm working on "Manhandling" the six newbies so they don't end up too wild. Looks like there are at least another THREE does getting ready to pop. Can't wait to see what THEIR kids look like! I've gotten some REALLY PRETTY ones this year. (unfortunately, some of them were the ones that didn't make it.) I don't think I'll have a problem finding new homes for them.

Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  03:03:55 AM  Show Profile
Oh Tracy I would love acouple of Babydoll sheep. I just do not know anything about shearing them. If I don't spin, is there any kind of market to sell them to other people? My husband won't let me get any unless they will produce some type of income. We are both unemployed right now. I can't seem to justify bringing another animal in without a way to produce income

BE HAPPY!!!
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  12:36:46 PM  Show Profile
There IS a market for Babydoll wool Gena. The BIGGEST market is in selling lambs and breeding stock though. They are so expensive here on the West Coast that even I can't afford to buy them. But, with the economy in the state it's in, I would almost be willing to bet that many Babydoll breeders are going to be selling out, so NOW would be the time to buy if you had the money.

After the initial expense of purchasing the animals, they are really one of the cheapest to raise if you have good pasture available-- and even then, a good GRASS pasture will do. Since the breed is so OLD, they don't require all the fancy feeds and supplements that "Modern" breeds of sheep need just to survive. Pasture (or good grass hay twice a day), mineral supplements, clean water and some sort of shelter from the weather, good strong fences, and/or a guardian animal (I have a dog) to protect them from predators is pretty much all they need.

I knew NOTHING about sheep when I got mine. (Except what I read in books, which was the WORST thing a person can do!) The books are too technical and the older breeds of sheep are much easier to raise than that. Besides, I'd made up my mind before I even brought them home that I was going to learn to take care of them myself. Some things I learned by trial and error, others I learned with the help of a dear friend who was raised on a sheep farm -- but, for the most part, it's been trial and error....

Just remember this Gena-- "Where there's a WILL, there IS A WAY! Don't give up hope. If Babydolls are meant to be in your future, they WILL come to be on your farm. Just like they did on mine! Hugs to you ~~~ Tracy

PS: I was blessed with my FIRST lamb of the season this morning, though she's not 100% Babydoll. I thought I could get away with breeding the ewe to my Jacob ram for a SMAAALLL "First time lamb." WRONG!!!!! Her baby girl was a MOOSE and she had one leg turned back so I had to go "Fishin" and pull her out. (YUCK!) But, OH what a BEAUTIFUL, BIG HEADED BABY SHE IS!!!

Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  6:39:56 PM  Show Profile
Tracy, Congrats on your first baby lamb! I did search our area for Babydoll sheep breeders. I was suprised to find several in NC. I contacted 1 by e-mail, I haven't heard back yet. I told her in my e-mail, that I was interested in 2 white ewe lambs. Do you think that white would sell the best? I may not buy a ram yet. What is the cost of registered stock on the west coast? I just need a price to go by. I don't want to appear to have "sucker" written on my forehead!

BE HAPPY!!!
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2009 :  08:18:34 AM  Show Profile
White sheep are usually cheaper. You can sometimes get a ewe lamb in our area for about $400-$600 each, depending on the breeder. Each one sets their own prices. (I sell mine for $400-$500 each). There's never a problem selling them. In fact, ewes of ANY color, along with wethers are the most in demand. I get so many requests for them every year (especially ewe lambs), but I only ever sell one in a season -- If I HAVE one. (I didn't have ANY last year. Only 2 girls out of 7 lambs and they were both BLACK!)

The BLACK Babydolls are where the money is, at least here on the West Coast it is. (even MORE if you get into the rare colors and spotted sheep-- so far I haven't seen any of THOSE for sale, though the breeders will post pictures of them on their websites). The blacks are not as common as the whites and are harder to find. (Or so I've been told. To me they are VERY common since I have so many of them!) The blacks sell from about $300 (for wethers) up to $1,000 each for a good breeding ram or ewe. But then, again, those are West Coast prices, and with this recession, if you wait just a little bit, you might find a GREAT deal on stock.

As for keeping a ram, the only reason I have them is becuase there were only 4 breeders in the whole state of California when I bought mine, and 2 breeders were selling out. I would not have been able to find a ram just to use for breeding, so I had to buy one when I had the chance. (and what a SWEETHEART he was!!!! I've never had another one so kind and gentle) I did not realize at the time how FORTUNATE I was to get that black ram (which actually wasn't black-- He was a BRINDLE!!!!). Back then, colored Babydolls were EXTREMELY rare.

I got my second ram from a breeder in Washington state about 5 or 6 years ago. He's just AWSOME! She is a teacher and an artist (fiber arts was one passion) and her sheep were winning awards for their fleeces, so, again I was blessed with a good ram. He also produces a HIGH % of Black lambs AND mostly FEMALE!!!

I wouldn't worry about a ram if there are many breeders in your area. Keeping one can be a hassle. Once you start getting lambs on the ground, especially daughters, you don't want to allow him "easy access." He would need a separate pen and some sort of companion to keep him company. Sometimes they are more trouble than they are worth and they CAN be dangerous, despite their small size.

Some breeders will "rent" rams, or allow you to bring your ewes to their farm for "Servicing." (I think the registries are also working on getting approval for Semen shipped from over seas to help boost our domestic gene pool. The good Lord KNOWS we NEED IT!!) I don't offer any of those services myself for bio-security reasons. If an animal leaves my farm, it does NOT come back and I do not allow others here unless they are MINE. But, again, that's just ME.

You won't be a sucker if you do your homework. I can give you more tips, and so could the other lady who has Babydolls here on MJF (sorry, I can't remember her name! But I think she's commented in the "Everything Sheep and Goats" thread). If you want to e-mail me directly, I will be MORE than happy to chat that way too. Then I won't be such a forum HOG here! (OINK! OINK! LOL!) ~~~ Hugs ~~~ Tracy

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Anyone have Nigerian Dwarf Goats Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page