Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Ok, I bought kale.... Next Topic  

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  12:35:08 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Now what do I do with it???

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  12:44:30 PM  Show Profile
I cooked some down and made a quiche with it. It was very yummy!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

milkmaid
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Higginsville Missouri
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  12:49:26 PM  Show Profile
I love Kale just think of it as a leaf cabbage.. use it fresh in a salad.. toss in soup at the last minute or steam it a bit with some fresh lemon juice on it YUMMO!~!

http://goodfarm.blogspot.com/

Mother to five awesome kids, wife of 17 years and milk maid to two beautiful cows. Living the good life!!!
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  12:50:29 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
What does it taste like? Sweet, sour? Thanks.

Heather

Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  12:53:49 PM  Show Profile
Heather, I absolutely LOVE kale. Here' something super easy and yummy you can do. I wash it and chop it up..chunky style. I don't include the really tough part of the stem but some of it for sure. Steam it down so it is nice and green and droopy. I make a yummy little sauce to go with it. I use about 2 TBSP peanut butter, a little soysauce (1 tsp) and then you can add any sweet something you like; I've tried orange marmalade, strawberry preserves, honey, this sweet/hot thai chili pepper sauce etc...just anything you have around. Mix it all together and pour over the kale and mix that. You can add carmelized onions if you like or carrots or raisins etc... the more you add the more of a meal it becomes. When I serve it simple it is a wonderful side dish to chicken or steak. It is wonderful over rice or potatoes..etc...etc....But you get the basic idea.

I also LOVE it raw and chopped into salad! I always add apples to my salad and that seems to add a nice sweetness.

Enjoy!!! ~julia

being simple to simply be
Farmgirl #30
www.julia42.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  12:55:40 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Julie- that is perfect because I have some peach/orange jam that I didn't know what the heck to do with it. Going to try it tomorrow!! Thanks!!! : )

Heather

Go to Top of Page

Farmgirlheart
True Blue Farmgirl

103 Posts

Valerie
Los Angeles California
USA
103 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  1:29:24 PM  Show Profile
for something super fast-cook it in chicken or beef stock with garlic!
Go to Top of Page

simplypaige
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Paige
IN
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  1:34:12 PM  Show Profile
I make it in the pressure cooker. My 90 year old neighbor would often give it to me and I didn't know of to cook it either. She said she puts it in with a little water a splash of vinegar and a couple pieces of bacon or such. My husband and I like it but they kids don't care for it. Good luck
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  1:38:48 PM  Show Profile
Growing up my mom and dad would chop it cook it make mashed potatoes and put Kale and potatoes together. Then it was served with a steamed farmers sausage or rookwurst (dutch sausage)and then when you eat it you put a splash of vinegar on the potatoes just for taste and eat a horseradish mustard with the sausage. A bite of the potatoes/kale and a bite of sausage with mustard. Fabulous.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

sjs
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Stephanie
Oakland CA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  3:54:37 PM  Show Profile  Send sjs an AOL message  Send sjs a Yahoo! Message
I saute it with a little leek and green garlic, then mix it into scrambled eggs with mushrooms and a little plain yogurt.

This is also an AMAZING recipe for Raw Kale Salad with Tamari-Roasted Almonds:

http://iheartkale.blogspot.com/2008/05/raw-kale-salad-with-tamari-roasted.html

The salt and vinegar wilt it down and "cooks" it without actually needing heat, so the vitamins and enzymes are preserved but it's also easier to chew and digest. Win-win situation!

Stephanie

--------------------
Learning to live is learning to let go.

Visit my food blog! http://www.wasabimon.com - natural cooking to live for.
Go to Top of Page

sjs
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Stephanie
Oakland CA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  3:56:12 PM  Show Profile  Send sjs an AOL message  Send sjs a Yahoo! Message
Also Heather, kale is bitter-tasting. Different varieties yield different levels of bitterness.

And little know fact: chickens LOVE kale. My neighbors chickens get into her veggie patch and eat the kale first!

Stephanie

--------------------
Learning to live is learning to let go.

Visit my food blog! http://www.wasabimon.com - natural cooking to live for.
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  4:19:46 PM  Show Profile
My mother used to make "Pina Kale-ada" smoothies...and they were actually not too bad, lol (considering she got my sister and I to drink them -- that's saying a bit). She'd whiz a bit of fresh kale up in the blender with frozen bananas as a base, then throw in some pineapple...whatever fruit struck her fancy...tasty! :)

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4738 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4738 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2009 :  07:32:27 AM  Show Profile
Make sure you wash it really good before using it. There is a lot of grit stuck to it.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2009 :  08:12:20 AM  Show Profile
I love kale and always grow some in the garden. So easy to grow. And the health benefits are HUGE-O. My favorite is Russian Red Kale.
Anyway, the easiest thing to do is just to lightly steam it or saute it in a little olive oil.
Let us know what you think!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Ok, I bought kale.... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page