Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 OMG, what have I just gone and done??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic OMG, what have I just gone and done?? Next Topic
Page: of 3

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  05:21:40 AM  Show Profile
Hey, Kristin! OUr garden is only about 7500 sf, but we ran out of room to dig it. No big deal really, because I'm getting ready to shift over to raised beds. Do you really like your planter? We got one last year (don't know what kind, but it was around the same price) and we have some problems with it. Alee -- I'm planting a raised bed in your name!!! What do you want to grow in it??? :)

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  06:55:15 AM  Show Profile
Julie, I love the planter. It is such a great help. And oh so fast. I told my hubby I couldn't believe he never mentioned it before. But when it's his idea it gets done. Do ya'll notice that about your hubby's? I could say something til I'm blue but when it comes out of his mouth it's the best idea in the world! Hhmmm.

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  11:14:54 AM  Show Profile
Uh, Kristin -- are you sure you're not married to MY dh? That is exactly what he does! So, I've learned, when I really want something, I start gently suggesting things until he starts thinking it is his idea!

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  4:38:57 PM  Show Profile
Haha! I've also noticed that when I tell him something he doesn't remember it, but his mother could say the exact same thing and he thinks it's the greatest thing ever. And I would say it first. Men! Ya gotta love 'em though. And they have to be ready to do a job before it gets done. They have to think about it for a week or so and then they get going on it. And do a great job, too. I just have to learn to not rush the man. I do love him, in spite of all this. He's the best hubby. And so funny, too.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  5:55:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Really Julie! That is so cool! Uhm, what do you have planned for the other gardens so far? I really love things with lots of flavor! Like really good canteloupe/muskmelon, or some really great tomatoes?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LisaLu
True Blue Farmgirl

126 Posts

Lisa
Wildomar Ca
USA
126 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2009 :  07:51:34 AM  Show Profile
Hey farmgirls, guess what...dreams do come true!
After our meeting with the tax lady, I suggested to my hubby that we stop by my favorite Italian restaurant and have a glass of wine and their wonderful cheese platter (I was in a bad mood and needed some comfort), this is my most favorite place, it has a beautiful bar area, all in rich dark woods, it reminds me of San Francisco, anyway, we got to talking to the chef's wife, she does all the purchasing, and she drives 2 hours to the farmers market, twice a week. I told her about my garden, and that I wanted to someday sell my heirloom tomatoes, that I had every color and shape planted. Her eyes lit up and said she would be very interested! She said she would buy just about anything that I could supply!
"I'ma so happy!" Now, I just have to get movin' and plant more....more basil....more onions...more fennel...I'm thinking Italian, garlic, heck, it really doesn't matter, their menu is soooooo gourmet, maybe they would like my luffa sponges!!!! "I'ma so happy!"
This is all I wanted, just one restaurant. And I scored the best one in town! Even if I don't make $$$$ at it, maybe we can trade for dinners, they make the best lobster raviolis I've ever tasted! And their the bread is to die for.
I just had to share the news, "I'ma SO happy!"
Dreams really do come true....
Off to dig in the dirt!
LisaLu

Happiness is homemade...
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2009 :  1:30:18 PM  Show Profile
Wow, Lisa! That is great news. I think that is every farmer's dream. I would love to find someone like that. Good for you. Now get busy, girl! Get out there and plant away.

I got some seeds from Kelley in Texas. More swiss chard and okrs, basil and sunflower seeds. Now I have to get them started.

I have Georgia Stream tomatoes coming up in the cold frame! That's exiting. And a few more in some of the other cups, too. So I will hopefully have lots of heirloom tomatoes growing soon.

Kris

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Mar 27 2009 3:17:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

KayB
True Blue Farmgirl

540 Posts

Kay
Del City Oklahoma
USA
540 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2009 :  2:17:42 PM  Show Profile
Okay, since I'm very new to this, what and how do I plant veggies? My roto tiller isn't working, so I guess I'll get a fork and turn the soil myself. Right now, we have an ice storm and 4"-8" of snow headed this way, so when everything melts, maybe the ground with soften up. And what's the best way to keep my doggies out of everything? I was thinking of tomatoes, corn, green beans, peas. What else? And what are fall gardens? What do you plant in those?

Life's a dance you learn as you go
Go to Top of Page

LisaLu
True Blue Farmgirl

126 Posts

Lisa
Wildomar Ca
USA
126 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2009 :  4:59:37 PM  Show Profile
KayB:
You will be able to grow everything you listed as soon as the danger of frost is gone. Check your local almanac to see for casted dates. I'm so sorry you are still getting snow....I feel bad saying that we are in the high 70's this whole week. It's just perfect garden weather!
I would google winter veggies, you'll soon find a pluther of sites to help guide you. The zone you live in makes a difference what you'll be able to grow. Do you have a local nursery? Your county extension office has a "master gardener" that can also help guide you. I would start saving your kitchen scraps (all plant scraps) and start saving brown bags....then you can start your compost pile, which will help amend your soil.
Take caution, be very careful and think this thru...gardening is addictive, once you start......you may never stop! Once you taste the victory of fresh produce, you may never go back! You may find yourself slowly becoming obsessed with the dirt, then advanced stages may have you talking to the bugs!
Best of luck sister.....and should I say...."welcome"!
LisaLu

Happiness is homemade...
Go to Top of Page

KD Earthwork
True Blue Farmgirl

210 Posts

Katie
Gualala Calif.
USA
210 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2009 :  11:40:58 AM  Show Profile
Wow, these replys just keep getting better.I'm inspired to double or triple my garden after reading "Animal,Vegetable,Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver".I feed four families already but don't grow "enough" potatoes,onions and probably beans.She plamted three 75ft rows to supply her family!Fence more area take out those invasive redwoods nearby(roots can render land undiggable in a few years).Barbara had a grat way of describing what to grow when and why.
Katie
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2009 :  12:22:33 PM  Show Profile
Katie, it's lots of work, but well worth it. Do the other 3 families help in the garden? If they do you have plenty of help to make it bigger. Go for it. I read the book, too. Love her philosophy. I grow most all out veggies and meat and have goats for milk and chickens for eggs. I make bread. So I don't have to buy much food anymore.

Kris

Life is what you make it. Always has been. Always will be.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Garden Gate: Previous Topic OMG, what have I just gone and done?? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page