Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Does Your School Have Security?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Does Your School Have Security? Next Topic  

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2009 :  10:53:21 AM  Show Profile
I've got the security of our children in school on my mind this morning. Oops, is it afternoon already? Well, this afternoon then. So I'm wondering about what measures, if any, are in place at schools around the country.
Tell me about yours. What kind of security or safety measures are in place in schools where you live?
Metal detectors, locked doors, security guards, vistor checks?

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2009 :  11:10:04 AM  Show Profile
My daughter's high school (2000 students - one of 3 other high schools in the district) has a full-time deputy sheriff plus security guards. They also bring in drug sniffing dogs once a week. It is a great school, in a good neighborhood and they stay on top of things. At first I was cautious about a school that would have this type of security. But there are no problems, no gang activity, etc. The principal has a zero tolerance policy and inforces it.

I will admit that it makes me sad that this type of this is the "norm" anymore. I went to a small high school with a total of 400 kids. There were 82 kids in my graduating class and that was the largest class to ever graduate. There was no security and no need for it. But things were different in the 60's.

The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

NatureNymph
True Blue Farmgirl

73 Posts

Tracy
Barrie Ontario
Canada
73 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2009 :  11:34:10 AM  Show Profile
Here in Canada there is little need for such things. The elementary schools have policies requiring all visitors to check in as soon as they enter the doors. Only the main door is unlocked and all others are locked.

High schools have open door policies...but everyone now adays has a code red procedure in which schools lock down at first sign of trouble. There have been a few cases of schools locking down but they all turn out to be just a precaution.

Of course, at my kids school we don't even lock our doors but then again we homeschool!

"Everybody likes to go their own way--to choose their own time and manner of devotion." Jane Austen, Mansfield Park

http://simplicitysampler.blogspot.com/

http://blessewefarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2009 :  11:53:06 AM  Show Profile
Our school has all the security measures plus they are practicing what to do if a stranger should get in the building. They have the kids go to safe hiding places with the teachers and aides for this drill and next month they will have a drill to see how long it takes them to hide. With all that goes on these days, I feel better knowing the school takes this so very seriously.

Dawn in IL

Edited by - ddmashayekhi on Mar 10 2009 2:36:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2009 :  1:31:32 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
maybe i'll move to canada, tracy.

What we write today slipped into our souls some other day when we were alone and doing nothing.
-Brenda Ueland

http://quilandneedle.blogspot.com/

http://musingandmuttering.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2009 :  2:27:48 PM  Show Profile
The local high school and middle school both have security measures implemented. Metal detectors, guards, lock-down gates, police on location at times (if there is any hint of somthing occuring). I have to say that I am very glad I no longer have children in the public school system. I tell my kids all the time that they will probably have to home school their children. A sad, but true reflection of what things are coming to.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

4forMe
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

Dawn
Easton MD
166 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2009 :  3:04:43 PM  Show Profile
My son is in middle school and they have a full time security guard who makes rounds through out the school. I wish they had metal detectors because you never know when a kid may bring something like a gun or knife to school. I worry about it but have had long talks with my son about what to do if someone has a gun or knife and to be aware of his surroundings. I read the book Protecting the Gift by Gavin deBecker. Wow, what a great book. Eye opening. I read his first book too, The Gift of Fear.

My younger kids are still in elementary school in a rural area, 300 kids total grades PreK-5. Everyone has to sign in at the office when they enter the building, and the doors are all locked except the one door by the office....so that no one can enter without the staff knowing.

I worry about my kids safety a lot, but at the same time, I feel that I can't go through life afraid and we have to make the changes we want to see so that things are safe for all of the children. I think the more safety precautions a school takes, the better. We all know that bad things can happen anywhere, inner city, rural areas, the amish schoolhouse...anywhere.

Great thread topic!

Sewing, knitting, gardening mom of 4.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2009 :  3:07:53 PM  Show Profile
I teach but in a very rural school. We have literally NO security measures other than video cameras! The campus is open and there are about 15 seperate building on the campus that house students and faculty so there is really no possible way to put it under lock and key. We USED to have a resource officer but had to cut that when the funds ran out. FORTUANTLY we have never had any major incidences. We only have around 500 students k-12. We do have lock-down procedures and do practice them on occasion. Personally I am glad we haven't had reason to install stiffer measures. I hope we dont someday look back and wish we had, but we have really good kids overall and I don't really see a need for more than maybe reinstating a resource officer.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

jinia
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

jinia
mo
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2009 :  4:38:35 PM  Show Profile
My sons elementary school K-6 is small - about 400 kids. Although the school is small its right off a hwy and theres lots of other schools in the area. They too of course have sign in but the office has no view of the only unlocked door so who knows. No security guards or anything like that. I love the school because it is small but wish there was more security. What a sad thing to write.
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2009 :  5:09:23 PM  Show Profile
Yes our shcools do and it gives me compfort. Sad that ti,es have changed where it is needed.

Hugs,
Maryjane Lee

Farmgirl #44
Sisters on the Fly #595

http://thebeehivecottage.blogspot.com/

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5202149

Go to Top of Page

formerfarmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Amber
Williamsburg VA
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2009 :  7:16:31 PM  Show Profile
I teach high school, and I am lucky to say that I feel extremely safe in my building. We have lockdown and security procedures, but luckily we've never had to use them. We employ four full time security guards, in addition to having a full time police officer in the building (he's armed and dangerous, jk!). We also have video cameras in every hallway and on every entrance/exit. All exterior doors automatically lock on the outside. Also teachers are trained to deal with any kind of sercurity breach. All in all, the majority of schools in the United States are safe; unfortunately, the media only talks about those that have problems.

Just a Farmer's Daughter:
http://justafarmersdaughter.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  10:20:58 AM  Show Profile
Very interesting and enlightening! Thank you for your responses!
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  1:18:20 PM  Show Profile
My son's highschool has a police officer there full time, but no metal detectors, etc. He's in a Catholic school (we call them separate schools up here) so don't know if that's the reason for no metal detectors. The public schools do have metal detectors as well as a police officer on site.

My middle one's elementary school has no measures other than all doors locked other than the main entrance.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Does Your School Have Security? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page