Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Who's living in my farmhouse-not Goldilocks!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Who's living in my farmhouse-not Goldilocks! Next Topic  

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2009 :  04:30:11 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
But there's company there! I went out to put in some insulation yesterday and when I got to the second floor, something had ripped brown paper off the back of some of the installed insulation between studs. Not a small creature, either. Previously, there was a woodchuck in there. Okay, the name 'woodchuck' has a kind of cute, 'How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood' sound to it. But the actual animal was ugly times ten! It has huge teeth and claws and the dh had to kill it after we spent half a day trying to get it to go out every open door and window. Whatever it is, it must be living in the attic area. And it's got to go. Don't want to kill anything, but I don't want it destroying anything else. Any ideas? Poison? If I put out poison, how do I know it's really dead?(Like in the Wizard of Oz - she's not only merely dead, she's really, most sincerely dead!). I need to know for sure that when I'm alone in the house, I'm ALONE in the house.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'

Especially For You
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

Tina
Watkinsville GA
541 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2009 :  06:42:13 AM  Show Profile
How about a live trap. My husband used 2 live traps when we trying to get flying squrials ( how do you spell that?) out of our attic.

Tina~#455
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2009 :  07:23:59 AM  Show Profile
YIPPES!!!

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kpaints
True Blue Farmgirl

1564 Posts

karen
cheney wa
1564 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2009 :  07:40:00 AM  Show Profile  Send kpaints an AOL message
UGH!!! Watch out, we have badgers here and they get real mean, I don't know woodchucks but watch out.

Find your joy and live it. http://cheneybaglady.blogspot.com/http://www.kpaints.etsy.com FG #377
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2009 :  08:00:15 AM  Show Profile
WE HAD WOODCHUCKS HERE THAT WOOD CHEW ON THE WOOD BETWEEN THE WINDOWS ON EITHER SIDE OF MY FRONT DOOR. I PUT HABENERO PEPPER SAUCE ON THE WOOD, BUT I DON'T KNOW IFwhoops, sorry about the caps, that would help you. We;ve done have a heart traps too, but where there is one woodchuck there is usually a large family.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2009 :  3:19:45 PM  Show Profile
Oh no!!!! I've only ever dealt with raccoons in the attic...I put a flood light up and the loudest metal hair band radio station on all day long, and she left rather quickly. I don't think woodchucks are nocturnal though, so it wouldn't really matter...

I second the live trap, but I don't know what the bait would be? A 2 x 4???? Pile of sawdust for dessert?
Go to Top of Page

sjs
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Stephanie
Oakland CA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2009 :  3:32:31 PM  Show Profile  Send sjs an AOL message  Send sjs a Yahoo! Message
I've had good luck with those little supersonic pest repeller things, though they may drive your pets crazy too. You may be able to leave it on for a week to chase the thing out, and then turn it off.

Good luck!

Stephanie, Farmgirl Sister #513!

--------------------
Learning to live is learning to let go.

Visit my food blog! http://www.wasabimon.com - natural cooking to live for.
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2009 :  3:58:50 PM  Show Profile
Might try peanutbutter or something tasty/smelly

Geesh, i'd be wigged out too.

Lets hope its a raccoon. But then again, they can be pretty mean too
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2009 :  4:16:20 PM  Show Profile
Oh, sheesh, Janice! Critters! We had good luck with those live traps until we caught a skunk. I mean, really, what do you actually DO with a mad skunk in a live trap?!?!? I know it's not any fun, but I usually "dispatch" critters that are close to my home or livestock with a firearm. I don't like to have poison out - I had my fave dog pass away last year because she ate a "poisoned" squirrelI don't like to do the "stake-out-and-shoot routine," and I have a whole stretch of canal-zone that is pretty "wild" that they can live in if they want, but I also don't like to put up with critters too close to home - I'd not want them bothering my kids, to boot.

XOXO, Libbie

"Farmgirl Sister #10," and proud of it!!!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2009 :  6:16:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Have you figured out who the unpaying guest was yet?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2009 :  06:54:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Not yet, Alee. And I think we may try several things at once. I'll try the sonic thing Stephanie recommends. And since David has a live trap at work, I think we'll set that up as well.(Don't know what to use for bait...haha, Jonni! Maybe pieces of tree that are laying around!!!) Since we had one single woodchuck months ago, I'm just assuming that's what it is. Since I work out there alone, I guess I'm really anxious to have proof that they're really gone, one way or another.

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2009 :  07:04:34 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That sounds good! I hope the trap catches it quickly!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  12:43:25 AM  Show Profile
Janice, that adventure at the farm house sounds like no dang fun at all. Shhheeezzz, I would not like critters with me either, I want the place to myself. Hope you get it gone....and soon!!!!!

www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

milkmaid
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Higginsville Missouri
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  06:03:57 AM  Show Profile
I really love animals...but NOT IN THE HOUSE!!LOL I hate that feeling when you know something is there and you have no idea what or where it is.. we had a snake family in the crawl space under the house, if you were in the tub being quiet you could here it slithering around under you!! YUCK!!!

http://goodfarm.blogspot.com/

Mother to five awesome kids, wife of 17 years and milk maid to two beautiful cows. Living the good life!!!
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  06:10:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
That's a YUCK for sure, Heather! :( I really am extremely animal friendly. Once, when we opened up our camper after the winter, I opened a drawer and found a little soft, white cloud like nest a mouse had just created for her coming family. I just closed the drawer and left it alone for months! :) And I don't even mind snakes(I've only found rat snakes so far). But I really have to draw the line when things come in the house and destroy stuff. We don't have the money to replace things over and over. Especially if it/they start in on the furniture I've got stored there.

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  11:07:55 PM  Show Profile
NOT THE FURNITURE, it is way to cool the things that you have.....not anything in the house for that matter!!!!!!

Heather, hearing them slither while I was in the tub would be more than I could take...gross out girl!!!!

www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Who's living in my farmhouse-not Goldilocks! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page