palmettogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

571 Posts

sue
camden south carolina
USA
571 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2009 :  1:55:55 PM  Show Profile
i'll be doing the cornbeef and cabbage thing again this year....i just love it. also make the irish soda bread, too. was thinking about making an irish stew for those who don't like corned beef and having a group over for a "rowdy" dinner! what are you all going to be doing?

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2009 :  2:03:59 PM  Show Profile
Sue,
We usually do the same thing. The corned beef and cabbage I mean. We do the irish potatoes some years and of course, wearing of the green. ;) Now that Im married, its not so much fun as saying Kiss Me Im Irish could get me in real troubles...LOL
What a neat thread. I look forward to seeing what everyone does. :)
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

"Certain thoughts are prayers.There are moments when, whatever be the attitude of the body, the soul is on its knees"--V.Hugo

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2009 :  2:08:14 PM  Show Profile
I always do the corned beef and cabbage with new potatoes, wear green, and this year I hope to make Irish Soda Bread as well. I'm of Irish descent as is hubby, but hubby hates corned beef and cabbage. My son on the other hand loves it as much as I do.

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!

http://farmgirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2009 :  2:22:18 PM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message

I am not Irish, but I think I may have been in a previous life LOL. I love listening to someone from Ireland speak, the music is beautiful and the stories of leprechauns and fairies are entertaining and magical. I would like to try making Irish Soda bread if Sue or Diana would share their recipe. So this St. Paddy's day I will be wearing green, have some Celtic music playing and maybe making Irish Soda Bread!

Gail

Farmgirl Sister #506
A Smile a Day . . .
Go to Top of Page

palmettogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

571 Posts

sue
camden south carolina
USA
571 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2009 :  07:11:48 AM  Show Profile
one of my favorite shows is RIVERDANCE! i have the soundtrack to it and i'll be playing it during dinner! what i find funny is that i'm not irish, but i love corned beef & cabbage.....dick and his family are irish but they don't like it!??!....hence, the irish stew also... dianna, what is it with the Real Irish?? not liking corned beef?? how about green been, anyone??
Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2009 :  07:25:47 AM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
I too have the Riverdance sound track from about 8 years ago. I couldn't make my feet move that fast if my life depended on it. Two friends and myself saw the show in Minneapolis - it was awesome. Have you ever listened to Celtic Women? They are on Public Television once in a while. I love their music.

Gail

Farmgirl Sister #506
A Smile a Day . . .
Go to Top of Page

Sue Feely
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Sue
Buffalo New York
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2009 :  12:24:10 PM  Show Profile
St. Patricks Day in South Buffalo New York great! Weeklong or more of festivities. Parade on Sun before the date huge parade in fact one of the biggest in the country!

I am married to Sean whose parents are right from Ireland. I make soda bread (but really hate the stuff) and submit it for judging at the local Irish Club 2 blocks away. I have submitted twice now and won third prize once!

Also make CB&C (also hate that) for the family. Our three daughters now all in their 20's were Irish dancers for years; I too as a adult was a Irish dancer for about 6 years (and loved that)

All this and guess what I am a Polish girl!!!

Ahh St. Patricks day in South Buffalo, New York, nothing better!

Sue Feely
Sister #349

PS Savannah Georgia has the bestest parade been there the 3 times and it was the best!

Any farmgirls near Savannah? I want to live there really!
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9324 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9324 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2009 :  07:03:46 AM  Show Profile
Well, we do the corned beef, cabbage, potatoes and carrots but we also have it throughout the year when I can find it. We all love it, I think. If we put a roast in there instead it would be a New England boiled dinner! LOL
Usually try to find something orange to wear because our family is Irish but not Catholic. My daughter is gifted with finding four leaf clover. She says she looks for a diamond in a sea of triangles. She has saved and dried tons of them. We usually watch lots of the movies, like Durango. Love that movie! Of course there are others too.
Looking forward to reading more of what everyone else does.

Denise
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

AuntPammy
True Blue Farmgirl

488 Posts

Pamila
williamstown wv
USA
488 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2009 :  07:18:01 AM  Show Profile  Click to see AuntPammy's MSN Messenger address
For St.Patricks day I make the corned beef and cabbage thing. When my kids were wee ones I would make them green mashed potatoes and green bread and they would think it was just so special. I would even dye the chicken broth green. They remember the green dinners fondly. Now that they are grown we have a more traditional meal. The kids always want the green mashed potatoes and green noodles...it's very funny. I too, love the celtic music and of course green beer!!!

"Keep your face to the sunshine and you will never see the shadow." Helen Keller

www.auntpsalmostheaven.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Cheryl
True Blue Farmgirl

919 Posts

Cheryl
Magalia CA
USA
919 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2009 :  5:59:18 PM  Show Profile
I cook corned beef & red potatoes in the slow cooker and serve with coleslaw.

Cheryl, Farmgirl Sister #48
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2009 :  09:04:50 AM  Show Profile
St. Patrick's Day is my wedding anniversary. We usually go out - no Irish food.

Anne in Portland, OR

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh
Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic st. patty's day Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page