KarenFothergill
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Karen
Pollocksville NC
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2006 :  10:46:29 AM  Show Profile
We have 4 acres with a swamp area in the back along a tree line. Our drive way is long and curves. We have 2 horse, 3 cats and 1 dog. We are planning to get a couple of goats soon. We bought and moved in our "dream home" last year....December 2004 with no luck naming our place. Please Help!

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2006 :  11:14:11 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Karen! Looking at your last name the first thing that comes to my mind is Fothergill Farm. I think it sounds like what an English farm would be named.

http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KarenFothergill
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Karen
Pollocksville NC
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2006 :  12:22:37 PM  Show Profile
We thought about that also, but the kids were against it. I guess we all really want something a little different and not so original. Thanks for your input though, we aren't totally against it yet.
Go to Top of Page

jenny louise
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

jennifer
cass city MI
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2006 :  3:18:54 PM  Show Profile
Karen, the name of your farm is so personal, and without actually seeing the place, would be hard to do. I like your last name also, it is unusual and melodic.
just my two cents...Jenny in MI
Go to Top of Page

Mari-dahlia
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Marianne
Hoosick Falls New York
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2006 :  04:25:03 AM  Show Profile
That was exactly my first thought. I love your last name.
Go to Top of Page

KarenFothergill
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Karen
Pollocksville NC
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2006 :  06:24:35 AM  Show Profile
Wow, everyone is so nice! We just may have to take your advice.
Go to Top of Page

Snowden Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

Mumsie
Valley WA
USA
56 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2006 :  06:58:20 AM  Show Profile
Karen..Is their any local history on your property or house. Where we live now we named..."Snowden Cottage", because our driveway was once part of a now abandoned old road...named Snowden Road...that came from the real old timers refering to the road before it was named as "the snowed in road" when giving directions to travelers. Our house looks like an old farm cottage..though only 23 years old..so thus the name of our place.

Our new place that we hope to be moving to real soon...that's another story..but anyway... we were gifted with 6 beautiful wooded acres that we built a small cabin on...a real haven for us..and lots of wild roses there..and my favorite flower..soooo..we have named it "Rosehaven"..don't know if we will add "Farm" or "Cottage" till we live there and get a feel for it. So maybe you can find something out or consider your surroundings..and "feel" the name of your new place! Blessings , Mumsie

Live simply... Love deeply...Hope forever!
Go to Top of Page

susan kate
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

susan
Western Washington
109 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2006 :  10:02:39 AM  Show Profile
I also like Fothergill Farm. When I first said that name I came up with "Featherhill Farm" which sounded pretty and somewhat like your name. So if you have a chicken coop on a hill, that might work! tee hee Susan
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2006 :  12:03:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
I know this isn't a name proper, but I keep thinking it and it makes me laugh....

........" The Fother I go, the behinder I get"

I think I got too little sleep last night!
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2006 :  12:08:36 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Karen, I have to agree with the girls here, I too like Fothergill Farm, just fits and is so simple! Now if I could name ours, we've been here for almost 12 years and still no name! Ack!

" Aspire to Inspire before you Expire"

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2006 :  1:05:48 PM  Show Profile
karen .. is your land in a 'hollow, on a hill, in the woods or forest, along a lane" is your home a 'ranch, cabin, cottage, farmhouse' ... you might want to play around with those words ... Fothergill Farm is great .. Fothergill Farmhouse is very 'country' .. Fothergill Hill is a tongue twister .. Fothergill Forest ... Father Gill .. ha! would be great if your husband's name was Gill!!!

i noticed you right away said there is a swamp area in the back along a tree line ... you probably don't like what "Swamp Hollow" conjures up ... but it is 'colorful'!!!!

how about those 'critters' of yours ... we almost moved to a most wonderful place in the colorado mountains named: MAD DOG RANCH .. i LOVED it .. but never quite lived anywhere that was quite up to that name!

o.k. ... i guess i'm 'reaching' here too .. it will come to you when you least expect it!

xo, frannie

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

KarenFothergill
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Karen
Pollocksville NC
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2006 :  08:27:57 AM  Show Profile
That would be great but his name is Tony. I actually like the swamp at the back of the property. Maybe I need to focus on that.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2006 :  06:24:45 AM  Show Profile
Karen
Good morning! This is not exactly along the lines of naming your farm, but I came across someone else with your same last name and at first thought it might be you. I just read your post yesterday and thought your last name is a most interesting one, and not to be easily forgotten.

Last evening I was reading through a sample copy of "Cook's Country" and on a page of cupcakes decorated for a contest was the name, Amy Odum Fothergill. Having just read this post I couldn't remember your first name, so I thought maybe it could be your entry. Do you have relatives in Half Moon Bay, CA? It made sense that it could be since you are a member here and have a farm and this is a country cooking magazine.....

Anyway, I just had to ask, I've never heard the name before and then to see it twice in one day from two different sources was quite a surprise.

But while I'm here, my two-cents worth towards the naming of your place, I personally like Fothergill Farm. It has a nice rhythm & ring to it, and like what just happened to me, it won't be easily forgotten. It's unique in it's own right, but I guess it might not seem so unique as a farm name when you carry the name everyday, so I can understand you wanting something different. I have no doubt when the right one comes along either from your own creativity or a suggestion, you will know.

Blessings on working your farm and getting it up and running just the way you imagined.

In His hands,
Lynda

Pray in faith and you will not live in doubt.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2006 :  4:54:49 PM  Show Profile
What about Fothergill Hollow?

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

LisaBee
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Lisa
Sparta TN
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2006 :  12:16:24 PM  Show Profile  Send LisaBee a Yahoo! Message
When I was a little girl, we lived on property way back in the woods. About a mile down the winding gravel road, our little house sat in a clearing. There was a pond out back that was surrounded on three sides by dense swampland. It was peaceful, quiet, and a little mysterious. Swampy areas are often called "bogs". How does "Fothergill Bog" sound to you? Its different and really plays up on the swamp being a part of your home.

"There is no teacup too large, nor book too long."
http://lisa222.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LisaBee
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Lisa
Sparta TN
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2006 :  12:19:55 PM  Show Profile  Send LisaBee a Yahoo! Message
Or "Fothergill's Bog".

"There is no teacup too large, nor book too long."
http://lisa222.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KarenFothergill
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Karen
Pollocksville NC
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2006 :  04:54:03 AM  Show Profile
Lynda,

That is so funny. No relation but I would love the receipe for the cupcakes.

Thanks for your thoughts on naming our farm. I think we have decided to go with Fothergill Farm.
Go to Top of Page

hammondfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Julie
New Caney Texas
77 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2006 :  6:51:51 PM  Show Profile
Fothergill Farm is really nice. If your family does not like the name Fothergill as they hear it all the time. Maybe you could use initials to go with names to make it unique.

F&F Country Cottage

Your husbands and your initial of your first name - Country Cottage
What is the name of the street you live on. This is another idea.

........Country Garden ( K & J Country Garden)

If you are turning your dream farm into a business and you like Fothergill I would concentrate on a logo or slogan to go with that. You would be surprized how a simple name can be eye catching when matched with a snazzy slogan. This is not to say your name is not, that is on the contrary. The problem is that you hear your name all the time and therefore it is humm drumm to you and you alone. While others think it is already snazzy and cute! Like me!

We had the hardest time naming our soap business. We manufacture goat milk soap.
We could not come up with anything so named it Hammond Farm. Our name is Hammond. For the longest time we thought it was humm drumm and were really dissappointed when hearing others
cute names for their soap business.

Then a friend helped us with a snazzy slogan.

People Tested Goat Approved, tm (we trade marked it)

So, many things can become catchey if something else is put with it such as a slogan.

Best Regards,
Julie

Hammond Farm
www.hammondfarm.com
People Tested Goat Approved, tm
Go to Top of Page
  Farmgirl Birthdays: Previous Topic Help Name Our Farm!!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page