Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Should I get some chickens?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Should I get some chickens? Next Topic  

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2009 :  6:59:15 PM  Show Profile
I have always wanted some and am sorely tempted. They're legal in Tulsa for backyards.

Two things:

My BF just had to move halfway across the country for his job, so I will be leaving to visit him probably one weekend a month

and in about a year I will probably be moving to where he is!

I did find some 10-month-old hens for sale locally - would that get me around having to constantly monitor baby chicks?

I can see me trying to drive from Oklahoma to California with a dog, two cats, three hens and 75 houseplants in one old convertible. Yikes!

I'm trying to talk myself into waiting till next year, but spring is in the air and i have chicken envy :D

~~~Amanda in OK~~~

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. ~Will Rogers

ranchetta
True Blue Farmgirl

318 Posts

carol
Marysville Wahington
USA
318 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2009 :  9:14:59 PM  Show Profile
Hey Amanda..sounds like you've got a lot going as it is without the chickens. My vote is wait until you're really settled in somewhere. For YOUR sake! Good luck to you.

http://curlywillowsranch.blogspot.com/
http://alteredshots.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Niamh
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Idaho
140 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2009 :  10:27:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Niamh a Yahoo! Message
I think you should probably wait if you're moving really soon. But I've got chickens and really love them, so if you want them, go for it. Three hens wouldn't be that hard to move.

My farming blog: www.localfoodblog.blogspot.com

My living blog:
www.unprocessedfamily.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

milkmaid
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Higginsville Missouri
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2009 :  05:47:31 AM  Show Profile
Chickens are wonderful and they are pretty easy if you got the ten month old ones you would have eggs now. That is a great blessing.. if you go in a year you could move them pretty easy they travel well.. I love the chickens and can't inagine life without them.. we even had chickens when we lived overseas

http://goodfarm.blogspot.com/

Mother to five awesome kids, wife of 17 years and milk maid to two beautiful cows. Living the good life!!!
Go to Top of Page

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2009 :  07:15:50 AM  Show Profile
The ones advertised are Rhode Island Red & Barred Rock laying hens, advertised for $15 each. I haven't recieved a response from my email to her yet.

Also found this thing, to possibly turn into a chicken coop:
http://tulsa.craigslist.org/grd/1057438774.html

Would rather build a coop, but with the BF relocated I think this would do nicely for the interim with a few modifications and a little Rustoleum.

What do y'all think?

~~~Amanda in OK~~~

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2009 :  7:00:27 PM  Show Profile
I would love to have one of those. If it's easy access and easy to move, it would make a great chicken coop for 3 birds. I would get one. Good deal. If they deliver, even better. And chickens would be fine for a weekend alone. Just make sure they have plenty of water and some feed. And of course a nest box for all those eggs you'll be getting.

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Should I get some chickens? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page