3318 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2009 :  6:16:56 PM  Show Profile

Lemon Balm-Melisa Officianalis
Family-Lamiaceae

Lemon Balm is an herb that native to southern Europe and northern Africa and has been cultivated for over 2000 years! It has a long history as a healing herb. The branches of lemon balm were strewn on floors to freshen a room. The Arabs introduced it as medicinal herb, a tea, which was taken for anxiety and depression. Melissa tea is still known in France today as a remedy for fatigue and headaches. Melissa derives its name from the Greek word for honeybee. The leaves were rubbed onto beehives to prevent swarming and to encourage the bees to return to the hives.

The crushed leaves of lemon balm, when rubbed on the skin, are used as a repellant for mosquitoes. Fresh leaves can be used to sooth insect bites, and a liniment made with lemon balm will help heal cold sores. It is claimed to have antibacterial, antiviral properties (it is effective against herpes simplex), and it is also used as a mild sedative or calming agent when used as a tea.

Bee-utiful

I had a potted plant of Lemon Balm last year in my herb garden next to my garden shed. Every time I brushed against it.... a most tantilizing lemon smell enveloped me! So clean and fresh

Melody

Peg Graham
True Blue Farmgirl

281 Posts

Peg
Chesapeake Virginia
USA
281 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2009 :  5:12:40 PM  Show Profile
Melody- I love Lemon too! Such a fresh and aromatic herb.

miles of smiles~
Peg

http://thelavenderfairy.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

22shortie
True Blue Farmgirl

329 Posts

rebekah
sulphur la
USA
329 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2009 :  6:10:30 PM  Show Profile
wow! I'd love to plant a little lemon blam plant myself! Can you just get it at the garden center of any garden store???

Fresh and creative projects popping up on my blog daily! Stop by and check out what I'm up to today!

http://pumpkinseed-unscripted.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

LauriP
True Blue Farmgirl

239 Posts

Laurianne
Hertford North Carolina
USA
239 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2009 :  2:23:14 PM  Show Profile
You can get seeds for this little plant. Well, I say little, but it does have a tendancy to get out of control. Little seeds throw themselves all over, an' you may have plants where you don't want them. I found that out by accident. They do pull up easily, tho, so don't be alarmed.

These are Great to add with some other herbs for a calm spritz to add to bathwater. Lavender and a touch of this is really fine.

Look at seed catalogs..I bought mine some years ago from Pinetree Seeds..maybe .95 a pack(?) Check them out for current prices.

And Good Luck. I think you'll really enjoy this plant!

Laurianne
Go to Top of Page

milkmaid
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Higginsville Missouri
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2009 :  2:54:05 PM  Show Profile
I like lemon balm.. everytime I smell it it makes me think of my grandmother dusting, she was in LOVE with lemon pledge LOL to me it smells just the same!!
Heather

http://goodfarm.blogspot.com/

Mother to five awesome kids, wife of 17 years and milk maid to two beautiful cows. Living the good life!!!
Go to Top of Page

idsweetie72
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Sandra
New Meadows idaho
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2009 :  09:21:30 AM  Show Profile
I just started this year with a medicinal herbal garden- I can't wait to actually have the herbs and try them. If you start from seeds with Lemon Balm though be patient- it took mine a while to germinate.

Mazy Day Farm
Go to Top of Page

LoraFLeming
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Lora
Onalaska WI
USA
30 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2009 :  8:36:22 PM  Show Profile
Once it's established it will grow like wildfire! I have mine in a raised bed and it has spread everywhere ... the entire bed is full of it, the lawn all around it is full of it ... which smells amazing when we mow! Sure is better than the neighbors chemicals ... I'll bet they wonder what we put on our lawn to make it "lemon fresh" LOL!

Changing lives one card at a time.
www.sendoutcards.com/Lora

Edited by - LoraFLeming on Mar 20 2009 8:38:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

BeckySue
True Blue Farmgirl

63 Posts

BeckySue
Arizona
USA
63 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  5:09:35 PM  Show Profile
~ i plan on planting some Lemon Balm in my herb garden this year too.
if i get seeds in the fall, i will save some to share.

~BeckySue

You are
Welcome
to visit
My Serenity Garden
Go to Top of Page

mustanggrl0526
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Becky
Cottonwood Heights UT
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2009 :  08:50:14 AM  Show Profile  Send mustanggrl0526 a Yahoo! Message
We have lemon balm in our yard also, and like others have said it has taken off like wildfire. We have it everywhere. My dog loves walking through it smelling the leaves. I'm hoping to grow enough of it next year to distill the leaves for essential oil.

You can't be a smart cookie if you have a crumby attitude.
Go to Top of Page

kittykill
True Blue Farmgirl

608 Posts

Pam
Portland or
USA
608 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  09:04:41 AM  Show Profile  Send kittykill an AOL message  Send kittykill a Yahoo! Message
I know this is an old thread but I have SO much lemon balm at my house. I'm wondering if I can use it as a "bug" spray and how long do I dry it for. I would love to make some soap with it. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Lemon Balm Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page