Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Companion Plantings Next Topic  

Mistypearl
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Misty
Sumter SC
33 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  5:31:58 PM  Show Profile
Hey Farmgirls, I have a question for you all. How many of you use companion plantings as a way to both diversify your gardens and keep pests under control? Would you please share the wisdom you have gained by doing this with a new farmgirl?

Thanks so much!

Smile-oh yea, you will still get wrinkles, but at least they will be wrinkles worth seeing!

MandyC
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Mandy
New York
18 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  05:18:26 AM  Show Profile
I unfortunately have not had too much luck with a garden at my house, but I babysat for a lady for 8 years who had a very successful companion planting garden system. She is an amazing gardener. She wrote a book that is full of some great information about what herbs and flowers to pair with your vegetables. Her gardens were always beautiful and even better bountiful.

Here is a link to her book on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Great-Garden-Companions-Companion-Planting-Chemical-Free/dp/0875968473/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1235826913&sr=8-1
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  06:42:22 AM  Show Profile
Hi Misty and welcome! I always companion plant. My rows are mixed with usually 2-3 complimentary plants. We have a great group of gals over at the Danger of Extinction thread come over and join us, there is a wealth of information waiting for you there! Carrots Love Tomatos is another great book on companion planting.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  5:45:18 PM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
Lillian - where would I find the Danger of Extinction thread? I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction.

Gail

A Smile a Day . . .
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2009 :  07:40:37 AM  Show Profile
Gail- we are under Magazine Call for Enteries/Keeping in touch. Can't wait to see you there. Also we have a Hen House set up crawl in there and take a peek. We are MJ Mavens.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2009 :  2:49:56 PM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
I was just reading an article about companion planting in a magazine...don't remember which now. It was saying that in addition to the traditional companion plantings of matching plants according to beneficial factors and symbiotic nature that we should actually mix rows of plants rather than planting a single crop to a single row or plot to foil pests. This confuses pests and increases your chance of a successful yield. I'm considering it even though I am fortunate enough to avoid most pests (except those darn Japanese beetles).

http://www.myspace.com/lupinelady99
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  05:23:42 AM  Show Profile
I haven't in the past, but along with gardening by the moon, I'm planning on companion planting this year. I can't wait, as I've been wanting to do this for years!

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Companion Plantings Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page