Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 So What's on your bathroom floor?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic So What's on your bathroom floor? Next Topic  

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  06:57:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I'm looking for some ideas/input about what kind of flooring to use in our farmhouse new bathroom. We're going to finish the addition and move in to that and then go room by room and work on the 'old house' part.(There's a thread about this disaster/money pit in 'A Farm of my Own). There are two rooms upstairs in the new part - large master bath(20x15) and the room where my dh is going to run his G scale trains(20x18). After much insisting/nagging, I/we have agreed on cork for his big room. And downstairs, we have the kitchen(20x12) - already have the bamboo for that and a small bathroom(maybe linoleum), a very small bedroom(like to find some floating bamboo flooring for that), the hallway to the back door and a small pantry. The big bathroom is the problem. I've got all the fixtures already. They are from American Standard - the 1920 collection(house built in 1918). I couldn't find a pic of the stuff online b/c I think they discontinued it. But here's a link to a pic of the console sink and it's legs(using two of it-want my own sink )
http://shopping.sympatico.msn.ca/results/tools-hardware/bcatid24/american-standard/2-6449/forsale?text=category:tools-hardware+Brand:American-Standard+price:280-439.99&page=1
You have to scroll down to it. Planning to use beadboard on the walls. I just can't come up with what to use on the bathroom floor.
After I finish the insulation, I'm going to pay some talented folks to do the drywall(Mike's busy and I need him for lots of other stuff after drywall), then we will install the flooring ourselves. I kind of need to decide soon.....anybody have some input? I'd welcome all ideas.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'

abbysshadow
True Blue Farmgirl

224 Posts

Sherry
Dayton Nevada
USA
224 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  07:05:09 AM  Show Profile
it all sounds so nice. We have redone most of our little house in the past 5 years we have been here. My hubby always does that tho, he has to make it OURS. We installed linoleum that looks like flagstone...I like it because to me, it looks neutral and natural and can go with almost any color or style of decor..it is very easy care, and the price was good.. Good luck and have fun with your renovations!

...I cannot do all the good that the world needs, but the world needs all the good that I can do...
Go to Top of Page

abbysshadow
True Blue Farmgirl

224 Posts

Sherry
Dayton Nevada
USA
224 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  07:06:30 AM  Show Profile
p.s. lol...my linoleum is in the bathrooms....

...I cannot do all the good that the world needs, but the world needs all the good that I can do...
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  07:19:51 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I like linoleum, Sherry. I think I really haven't researched it enough. I've spent lots of time looking for/at bamboo and cork. I found cork at Lumber Liquidators, then stopped at Home Depot for something unrelated and they had just set up a display for a test run of floating cork flooring! It's cheaper than Lumber Liquidators and we can put it on a 6 month to 1 year payment plan. I really need to start digging deeper to see what's out there where linoleum is concerned.

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  07:21:45 AM  Show Profile
I have bead board in my bathroom too, love it, also the whole kitchen is done in that too. I have tile on my floors. Remember that flooring that looked just like red brick. I used to love that.I think IF I ever need another new floor someplace I would choose that.

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  08:34:27 AM  Show Profile
We have ceramic tile in all 3 of our bathrooms. It always looks nice, washes up beautifully and is easy to maintain. I have Pergo in my kitchen and love it. We are hoping to use a combination of ceramic tile and Pergo in our library this year. Have fun choosing and decorating your new part of the house!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  08:47:08 AM  Show Profile
Use what my family likes on the bathroom floor....ALL THEIR DIRTY LAUNDRY!

Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  08:51:11 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
HAHAHA!!! Debbie, I laughed out loud. Students in the hallway are looking at me funny! :D

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

kpaints
True Blue Farmgirl

1564 Posts

karen
cheney wa
1564 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  09:02:00 AM  Show Profile  Send kpaints an AOL message
My house is over 100 yrs old and I tried to keep the old fashioned look going, like the old running board double sinks in the kitchen ( refinished) the clawfoot tubs, etc, I put down tile in the downstairs bath and kitchen. The large upstairs bath has wood floors. You new place sounds super!

Find your joy and live it. http://cheneybaglady.blogspot.com/http://www.kpaints.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  09:05:15 AM  Show Profile
We did a 'vintage style" bathroom, bead board part way up the wall, clawfoot tub, pedestal sink etc. On the floors I did the small octagon ceramic tiles, looks so cool and so retro. If you do decided on ceramic, use the epoxy grout as it will not stain or absorb water, a little more expensive but will last forever. We also heated the floor so it feels great on the feet.
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  09:22:33 AM  Show Profile
Janice, when I saw the title of this I immediately thought of all the stuff ON the bathroom floor. Then read what it was about.

It sounds like you are making alot of progress. Have you researchesd what houses of that era used? I redid a bathroom in our first house that was built in the '40's. It already had wood floors that were not in really good shape, so I just painted them. I think alot of older houses painted the wood floors. You could even do a pattern like 12" squares all in different colors. I am thinking about doing that on my little side porch that has concrete floor. It looks really pretty.

Do you have more pictures yet???

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  10:04:33 AM  Show Profile
I'm with Kristin, My first thought was towels. But under those is linoleum. There are so many patters and colors to choose from. I am thinking about redoing my bedroom floor with linolium. I am trying to get rid of all the carpet in the house. Have put hardwood in the living/dining room. Love it.
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  10:32:46 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I like the painted wood idea. And I checked out something called 'Marmoleum' online. They have a version that mimics the black and white tiles that I love a lot, too. There's even a floating version with a sandwich of cork(great for sound deadening). I appreciate all these great ideas. And the farmgirl input/brainstorming I always get here. I'd be lost without it. ;)

And Kristin - no pics yet. I've been insulating all winter, one good day at a time(think tortoise...think old tortoise-hehe). You see one pic of a stud wall with insulation, you've seen one too many! LOL! But when the drywall goes in, there will be pics for sure!

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Mistypearl
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Misty
Sumter SC
33 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  2:38:49 PM  Show Profile
On my bathroom floor, in keeping with the asthetics of the old and rundown, we kept the original green, gag-me-with-a-spoon linoleum. I hate it, but hubby thinks it is "charming,' so guess until I can find some way to destroy it, it has to stay? Any ideas? LOL!

Smile-oh yea, you will still get wrinkles, but at least they will be wrinkles worth seeing!
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  2:46:16 PM  Show Profile
Did you say your bath was 20X15 ? That is bigger than my kitchen and dining room combined!! I have to see pictures of this Please!! Your whole house sounds so beautiful. I am sure it has been worth all the work and the wait.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  2:46:53 PM  Show Profile
LOL, Janice we think a like because I was going to suggest the black and white tiles. The Marmoleum sounds cool.....

www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

vermont v
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Victoria
Chester Vermont
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  3:05:28 PM  Show Profile

In the past I've had a vintage bathroom with the 20's hexagonal tile white and black floor! I loved it. Presently in the house from 1870 we have the 1970's vinyl in avocado and gold patterns. Go figure!In another bathroom we have swirly black and white battleship linoleum from the 40's and it isn't bad.
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  4:21:56 PM  Show Profile
A little dirt, some loose hairs and dust bunnies....

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  4:25:12 PM  Show Profile
I was also going to suggest those black and white octagonol tiles (that come in a pattern already netted?) Especially since we're talking 1920's era fixtures and beadboard. I really love the look, and it can be so versatile whether you choose glass or chrome accents, or other.
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  05:35:36 AM  Show Profile
I'm with Kathy from Moses Lake -- those small octagonal tiles are so vintage and if you can run some heat under the floor, it would be so cozy! (We have the tiles but not the heat. Next time.)

www.youaretoocreative.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  06:41:52 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
The measurement is 20x12(I get confused sometimes) and this bathroom is my revenge for the closet spaced tiny city bathrooms I've had my entire life. This is my chance to have it 'my way'. Mike put the claw foot jetted tub up on a platform. I may put a stackable washer and dryer on one side(maybe I'll hook up my wringer Maytag-haha). As much as I love those tiles, I'm not sure if I can afford to do that in such a large space. And I wonder if ceramic tile would withstand all the traffic if I put a laundry in there, too. I just have to keep thinking and getting input and thinking about it. So far, all the flooring we've chosen is 'green'. I love knowing that bamboo can grow an inch an hour(makes me laugh out loud...I think my bamboo in the backyard is coming for the house and will someday shoot up through the sunroom floor and spear me as I nap! LOL). And cork is harvested from a tree and 7 years later can be harvested from the same tree again. I've thought about the heated floor thing, but again, the room is so large the cost may make that impossible. It sure would be nice, though.

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic So What's on your bathroom floor? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page