Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farmgirl Fashion
 What do you wear to work outside?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic What do you wear to work outside? Next Topic
Page: of 2

corporatefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

389 Posts

Tamara
Pikeville TN
USA
389 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2009 :  12:22:35 PM  Show Profile
You will either find me in overalls or long loose, cotton skirts(both with aprons). And as soon as the weather permits I am barefoot......

live well,
Tamara
www.thegoodearthfarm.com
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2009 :  12:53:16 PM  Show Profile
Long sleeve for my arms and jeans! You can find me barefoot most of the time to!!!

Hugs,
Maryjane Lee

Farmgirl #44
Sisters on the Fly #595

http://thebeehivecottage.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2009 :  4:58:56 PM  Show Profile
For chores I wear old bib overalls and long sleeved teeshirt in winter with an old jacket and scarf. Summer time I wear the same overalls and short sleeved tee. For gardening sometimes you will find me in long skirts with a tee shirt and apron. Either old boots for winter milking, or sandals or crocs in summer.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2009 :  5:06:34 PM  Show Profile
In the summer a pair of jean shorts, baseball hat, gym shoes and a tee-shirt. When it is chilly, boots, jeans, winter coat, hat, scarf & gloves.

I have a wealthy neighbor across the street who actually wears jodhpurs, wide brimmed garden hat & wellies! She has all the fancy stuff, but unfortunately she has a brown thumb. I've lost count on how many shrubs and evergreens she's killed the past few years!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2009 :  5:13:33 PM  Show Profile
Early Spring (soon, soon!!!), a heavy wool sweater, a long sleeve tee under that, a wool knit hat and my hair in braids, my "gardening jeans" or "gardening cords", wool boot socks and my wellingtons, though unlike poor Dawn's neighbor, my thumb is pretty green.

In the summer, it's the gardening jeans, striped garden clogs, a tank and a bandanna around my hair (and the two braids).

In the autumn, it's virtually the same as early spring. At times, I will wear a quilted barn jacket made of oilcloth that I brought back from England--you can just sort of wipe it down.
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2009 :  5:26:59 PM  Show Profile
I love overalls...I have short ones, capri ones. and the regular ones. with t-shirts for summer and long sleeve t-shirts for fall. I have a barn coat that I have had for a number of years that I use to do yard work when it is colder. gloves for gardening and gloves for moving things around...and of course scarf and hat in winter and fall....and either ball cap or large brimed hat for summer and spring

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2009 :  6:51:50 PM  Show Profile
Engineer striped overalls with a long-sleeve t-shirt - keeps me warm in spring and non-sunburned in summer. That and crocs although I might invest in some mudboots this year
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Heirloom Mavens Badge Badger
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2009 :  6:59:59 PM  Show Profile
Right now I am in the same pair of old jeans that I will wash when I can't pull them on anymore, (why bother being in clean clothes when the minute I walk out the door something will jump on me and there ya go!) a t-shirt, red flannel shirt and boots to do morning chores. Then when it gets warmer I like the capris or shorts to work in the garden with a tank or short sleeve t.

Dawn, your neighbor might have a brown thumb, but I bet she shore looks good out there, huh?

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

gspringman
True Blue Farmgirl

387 Posts

Gail
Bonanza Oregon
USA
387 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2009 :  7:12:21 PM  Show Profile  Send gspringman a Yahoo! Message
Dawn, I am giggling bunches about how you describe your neighbor. Boy, when my new neighbors move in on the property next to ours they are in for a suprise with the way I go out of the house in the morning. Usually in pj bottoms, boots, flannel jacket, rabbit eared hat and leather gloves. I'm a real looker when I feed my critters every morning. I'm afraid Dawn's neighbor would be looking for a new place to live. I think I scare myself sometimes. hahahaha

Farmgirl #486
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  04:11:49 AM  Show Profile
My outside dresses and aprons look horrible(one needs to be careful bending over with a dress on)...they are stained and ripped, time for new ones. Summer, I am barefoot, no matter where I am in my yard(my Dh takes care of my feet, and gets, well, rather......hmmmmmmm.....my feet really look bad), and loving the sun on my skin....
My neighbor, insists on watching all I do, so I planted trees a few years back, he said to me last summer, "I sure don't like those trees you planted, I can't see you and your Dh anymore...." wellll..... I LOVE MY TREES!!!(I don't bend over his way anymore)....tee hee!!!

Farmgirl Sister #368

BRAND NEW PAGE>>>>>
PLEASE go to....
http://blogonthefarmandgarden.blogspot.com

http://froccsfrillsfurbiloesandmore.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

corporatefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

389 Posts

Tamara
Pikeville TN
USA
389 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  09:05:34 AM  Show Profile
You girls crack me up.

Gail, it sounds like you and I have the same farm feeding getup. There are mornings when plaid pj bottoms, rubber mud boots, thermal shirt, robe and my hat with ears are just the thing. I just tell the hubby I am stylin' and profiln' and head out the door

live well,
Tamara
www.thegoodearthfarm.com
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4205 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4205 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  09:43:11 AM  Show Profile
Anything old, goes for me. Cause sure as heck I am going to get dirty, grease, or manure on it.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Jennie From Maine
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Jennifer
Monmouth Maine
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  4:28:55 PM  Show Profile
I like long skirts and tank tops when the weather is nice, barefoot or maybe birkenstocks if I happen to slip them on. Old jeans and boots for mucking out the coop. I like my hair in braids too :)
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  6:54:12 PM  Show Profile
I make this mistake all the time. I shower, get dressed fairly nice....do errands and then come home. I look at the garden, and see it needs watering and weeding, and do not bother to change. So I end up working outside in clothes too nice to work in! Then they are dirty and oh well........

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  8:12:23 PM  Show Profile
I'm with Tamara and Gail! For Winter my chore "outfits" consist of sweat pants, t-shirt, stinky barn coat that smells like goat , is missing a couple of buttons, has hay, a pair of wire cutters, a few other odds and ends, and sometimes an egg in the pockets .... usually BROKEN. (Hey, who HASN'T stuck an egg or two in their pocket and forgotten about it?). If it's raining I'll pull on a hooded sweatshrit before I put my coat on, and ALWAYS I wear my HOT PINK muck boots. No socks. For some reason they just don't stay on. I end up with them wadded up at the toes. VERY uncomfortable and quite a nuisance!

In Summer, It's usually shorts, t-shirt and thongs. (nothing like picken' "goat berries" and "sheep Pebbles" out from between your toes!!! EEEWWW!!!! ) Does'nt matter WHAT time of day I feed the critters and do barn chores, I ALWAYS need a bath afterwards. (that billy goat stink has a way of lingering.....) Sometimes I will take two a day depending on how many times a day I'm feeding. My routine changes with the season. Ahhh.... but 'farm livin' IS the life for me!!!'

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin

Edited by - shepherdgirl on Feb 25 2009 8:16:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

marcy jo
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Marcy
Wawaka Indiana
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  12:35:00 PM  Show Profile  Send marcy jo a Yahoo! Message
I wear old clothes jeans,barn jacket and always a shirt with stains!! In the summer I like to wear shorts but usually wear jeans and a tank top. I would love to do my chores in skirts but I am not coordinated enough I always trip or it gets caught on something. Jeans are safer!! I wear my steel toe boots until its time for bare feet. I just want to be comfortable!!!

Marcy #257

http://marcyjosmarket.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

wild daisy
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Madelynne
Billings Montana
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  4:07:16 PM  Show Profile
First off my husband answered your question as I hope dressed. I wear just about anything that will let me get dirty in the garden and not worry if it gets stained, ripped or stinky. Plus I try to stay covered up somewhat from the sun. I usually work outside early in the mornings or late in the evening.

Madelynne

johnandmadelynne.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  6:39:59 PM  Show Profile
I agree with you farm girls.. right now ionthe winter , I often tend to the chickens first thing after my coffee in my flannel pajamas with a fleece jacket, & of course i have on my egg collecting apron & my jammies tucked into my Black rubber high boots..gloves and my cowgirl hat... or a baseball cap...Now that is a picture to paint! If I am in the garden when the weather is nice .. jeans, apron & t shirt, mud boots or Crocs!and wide brimmed sun hat. yep I am PURDY!

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309

Almost daily posts at:
http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/

Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise',
I wash my mouth out with chocolate.
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2009 :  10:20:48 PM  Show Profile
Okay, since I have this picture thing figured out, I'll show you my summer work attire (not usually on horseback)

And my winter attire, muck boots are covered by the hay.

And one last one, after pulling a calf in the rain and mud a few years ago, me and hubby exhausted

I'm nothing to write home to mom about(looks wise) when I'm out working, but then again, if I didn't get grubby you wouldn't think I worked very hard now would you?

Cindy

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  09:14:54 AM  Show Profile
Cooler months I slip on a pair of cast-off zip-up military green thinly insulated coveralls that hubby outgrew. They are not pretty nor feminine in anyway. They are the best! Slip on muck boots finish my outfit and if checking ewes during night lambing PJ's are what's underneath them. They slip on and off at the door so I don't track whatever mess I've been into throughout the house. The pockets are always full of baling twine pieces, used syringes, my lambing record booklet, a pen and my pocket knife and my gloves. It's like unloading the car after a trip to town when I get back inside.
Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
http://farmhouseflair.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2009 :  11:21:55 AM  Show Profile
overalls, tee shirt and flip flops. should wear boots but i usually don't. I have injured my feet repeatedly because of this bad habit. Oh well.

www.edgehillherbfarm.com "where the name is bigger than the farm, but no one seems to mind"
blog http://edgehillherbfarmer.spaces.live.com/default.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0
happy farmgirl #89
Go to Top of Page

katalind
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Kathy
Chapin SC
USA
177 Posts

Posted - May 23 2010 :  12:23:39 PM  Show Profile
When the weather's warm I'm in a loose thin cotton knee length summer dress. It's nothing I'd wear to go into town but it's perfect for doing work in around the house. I like it because it's loose, I can't stand anything that's binding. When it's cold I have a pair of fleece overalls that feel so good.
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - May 23 2010 :  1:56:25 PM  Show Profile
In the winter it is jean, riding boots or muck boots, thick socks, long sleeved tees and layers and layers of hoodies with a fleece hat my daughter brought me from Leeds Market in London. Summer it is jeans (if I am getting in a saddle) shorts, tank tops, or skirts and tank tops, and flip flops or crocs. If I'm riding I wear twisted X riding boots. In the summer I have baseball caps, and straw hats. The sun in south Texas is really bright.

Farmgirl Sister 572

When manure happens just say "WOO HOO Fertilizer".
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - May 23 2010 :  9:54:17 PM  Show Profile
I would love to go barefoot to work outside, but I'm too scare of SSSSSSSSSSSNAKES!!!!

Farmgirl Sister #98
Visit my online store at:
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 23 2010 :  10:11:11 PM  Show Profile
I unfortunately do NOT look as cute as MJF in her videos, or on the covers of her mag. I look pretty bad! I wear old clothes, put my hair up and spray for mosquitoes, and my shoes are a mess! I wear things that are loose but cover me for bites, and my face gets red from the heat, and I wish I did not look like such a fright!! But it is hot here, and humid, and so.....

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - May 25 2010 :  05:47:27 AM  Show Profile
An apron! :)

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic What do you wear to work outside? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page