gramax18
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Elinor
meeker Colorado
USA
106 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  9:33:35 PM  Show Profile
I have about 200+ books all on the subject of art. Like books that teach how to do watercolor painting or oil painting. I need a way to organize them so it is easy to find the one I'm looking for. I thought about doing it the way the library does.
Does anyone have any ideas?I hve put them in order of the authers last name and also tryed with the title of the book.

Elinor

Especially For You
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

Tina
Watkinsville GA
541 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2009 :  05:36:47 AM  Show Profile
How about by subject? Like watercolor painting, oil painting,etc.
Thats the way I would have to do it becasue I could't remember who wrote what.Are you an Artist? I am so jelous! I can't even paint my nails.

Tina~#455
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4738 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4738 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2009 :  06:53:47 AM  Show Profile
We have several hundred books in our home library. My husband broke them down by category. It makes it easier for us to find what we are looking for. I can never remember authors names, so I avoid doing things that way. Have fun organizing your books, I'm sure you'll rediscover many treasures!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2009 :  07:55:42 AM  Show Profile
Hi! I am an art teacher. Man would I love to see your collection. I arrange my books topic, artist or method. I have one shelf dedicated to methods seperated by watercolor, painting, collage, general technique, drawing, etc. I have another shelf for artists and group those together Van Gogh, Monet, Whistler etc and then also a section of general collection books like ones I have picked up at museaums. My last shelf is in order by style or time period, Renaissance, Impressionism, Pop Art etc.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Niamh
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Idaho
140 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2009 :  08:18:59 AM  Show Profile  Send Niamh a Yahoo! Message
I'd do it like Julie does it. That's an easy way to classify them.

We have about four hundred books on our shelf and another few hundred in boxes *waiting* for bookshelves. Ugh. I group them by topic for the adult books and by age for the kids books.

My farming blog: www.localfoodblog.blogspot.com

My living blog:
www.unprocessedfamily.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

gramax18
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Elinor
meeker Colorado
USA
106 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  9:52:22 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Julie, I got started on my project with the books and I am using you idea about topics. I think it will really help me.

Elinor
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2009 :  8:14:50 PM  Show Profile
Oh..."so many books....so little time!" I have hundreds myself but they are on various topics...all my interests which are many and varied and even a few art books even though, like Tina, "I can't even paint my nails"...and I can't! LOL! That was a great one Tina!
I have books in every room and bookcases too. I order them by category, such as gardening and then within that category I order them by (for example) flowers, vegetables, landscaping, indoor, outdoor. You get the drift...divide and conquer! There are also software programs...some for free that you can have a database of your book collection. I thought about that but have not done it yet. The database would then tell you where the book was located. You could design your own program with a spreadsheet or similar program too. Hope this helps!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226

www.farmgirlsam.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic organize books Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page