New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Icelandic Sheep Next Topic  

FiddleChick
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

78 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2009 :  6:43:22 PM  Show Profile
Hi all, does anyone have experience with Icelandic sheep? I've been researching different breeds for their fiber and the Icelandic's two coats intrigues me. Has anyone spun it? What do you think of it? Is it as versatile as it seems to be - from lace weight to chunky? Thanks!

Siúil A Rúin: "Singing for someone's supper . . ." www.tradlassie.blogspot.com

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  2:52:27 PM  Show Profile
I have raised them for 12 years - what would you like to know???

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  9:57:42 PM  Show Profile
I just have two right now..have been up to 6 icelandics at one time. I love them! Grace is a great one to ask and would certainly know WAY more than me about them..but I wanted to weigh in that I think they are a wonderful breed. I have a nearly 9 year old moorit ewe and her 5 year old black daughter right now. I spin the wool and it is very very versatile. I especially love the undercoat. (thel) There is a book (grace can probably tell you where to get one) called The Icelandic fleece (or something similar...very good book) and their color genetics are sure interesting too.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

frolicnfibers
True Blue Farmgirl

668 Posts

Diana
White City Oregon
USA
668 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  07:33:18 AM  Show Profile
A friend of mine at market has Icelandic and swears by them, but I've never had any. I'll be back to learn what Grace has to say also. Thanks for the post!

Diana

Please come visit my animals and my Etsy store on my new blog!
http://www.frolicnfibers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  1:11:35 PM  Show Profile
I could give you pages of my thoughts on Icelandic Sheep and also on the fleeces. After doing tons of research I determined that this breed was perfect for what I planned for my farm and fiber business. I love thier dual coats - perfect for the softest of next to the body wear to the most durable hard weather outer gear. Their color patterns left you with hundreds of possiblities without every going to a dye pot. Their many uses, fiber, meat and milk was more then any breed I found and the low numbers of breeders (at the time) gave me a wide open market.

Their fiber requires a true understanding of breeding - I spent two weeks in Iceland living with the breeders, listening to hundreds of years of breeding knowledge and then sitting day after day with the folks who make this fiber prized all over the world. I just love and I do mean love spinning their fiber and each animal is unique. Once you have learned their genetics you can design the perfect fleeces. I spent over 6 months studing genetics of the Icelandic Sheep to pick the correct ewes and rams to create the best possible flocks. I do have the bible of Icelandic Sheep Books - no longer in print - that I sell at my farm "Islenzkar Landbunadar Rannsoknit - Journal of Agricultural Research in Iceland" . It is a must if you are to consider purchasing these wonderful sheep. It will also assist you in correctly breeding your sheep for the prized fleeces and top animals. If you wish to purchase a copy let me know - I only have 5 left.

I truely love their fiber, not saying anything bad about other dual coat sheep but I spun a ton of other breeds before I settled on Icelandic - every sheep breed has it's place but for my business plan it was clear which I needed to pick. When I started a ewe was around $1,500.00 so bringing on 34 was not a whim - I really did my homework. Now the prices are lower because we did a great job of getting the word out and breeding this animal correctly - I wish you luck on your quest and I will gladly answer any and all questions regarding this wonderful sheep.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

FiddleChick
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

78 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  2:04:58 PM  Show Profile
I would LOVE to know the name of that book! And I was wondering what the thel is like...would you compare it to alpaca or angora? Or is it not that fine and soft?

Go to Top of Page

FiddleChick
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

78 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  2:10:16 PM  Show Profile
Whoops! Answered before I read the updated thread. I'm not planning to breed them (at least right now) does the book talk much about the fiber?

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  2:33:16 PM  Show Profile
My fault - I guess I thought you where breeding for the best fiber...

If you wish to know everything about just the fiber and the process of using it to it's best I have the best book for that - "The Icelandic Fleece - a Fibre for all Reasons by Elizabeth Abbott" I also have them for sale at the farm - $55.00 per book plus shipping. Last I was told it is unavailable or might even be out of print.
This books tells you the history of the animal and the fiber industry in their country, then their coming to Canada (I knew the lady who brought them and had some of her flock), how to harvest, wash, card, spin, dye, weaving,knit, you name it with the fiber including very detailed pictures of all the processes to guide you, along with wonderful projects to make with that fiber or yarn. This is the only book I refer to when it comes to Icelandic fiber....

The other book is called "Islenzkar Landbunadar Rannsoknir - Journal of Agricultural Research in Iceland". No I did not have my fingers on the wrong keys - that is what Icelandic looks like.

Hope this is going in the wright direction for you. As for the softness of the down coat - that depends of several factors. First genetic, second keeping them on grass based feed and last when you breed. I have found it closer to Angora if grassfed and more like alpacas if grain fed. Remember I have raised also Angora Bunny and Alpacas so I can judge them. I love spinning their down tog with angora or alpaca and I would then use the thel with my llama or if I had it some Suri alpaca. Also if you have crossed the sheep you can really get creative with the fiber on the animal which then lends itself to even that much more play on the carding machines or with the hand combs.

I do have my Icelandic fiber for sale also at the farm shop so if you wish to give some a try I have all types, blends and price ranges.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Icelandic Sheep Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page