Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Wanted: Your preferences on sheep breeds please
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Wanted: Your preferences on sheep breeds please Next Topic  

FiddleChick
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

78 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2009 :  4:36:16 PM  Show Profile
Hi all! I'm at the stage where I am trying to decide what type of sheep I want to have. I am raising them for fiber so I'd like something that is the most versatile (thought about longwools but then found out their fiber is coarse and best suited to things like rugs so they're out.) My question is, what type of sheep do you raise (love), why, and what are you doing with the fiber? Thanks in advance for any info!

Siúil A Rúin: "Singing for someone's supper . . ." www.tradlassie.blogspot.com

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2009 :  8:44:56 PM  Show Profile
Oh how FUN the "dreaming" stage is FiddleChick! As for choosing a breed, well, that's kinda tough. We ALL have our favorites, but some of us have had to "try out" the different breeds to finally decide on the one(s) we like best. I'm not one of those, of course-- I lost MY heart to the Babydolls after seeing a picture of one of those smiling lamb faces back in the late 90's. I've had them ever since! I haven't really done anything with their wool as of yet, but now that I have the breeding, feeding and RAISING thing down-- I can FINALLY focus on the wool and what to do with it!

Babydoll wool has become VERY MUCH in demand for handspinnnig in recent years. A lot of those ladies who are so gifted like to use it for outer garments and blending with other wools (I hear Angora wool mixed with Babydoll is devine!).

I also have Jacobs. They are a bit harder to deal with than my Babydolls who are lazy and easy going. The Jacobs are a bit flighty and can jump like DEER!!! They also seem to stick only unto themselves and leave the Babydoll flock behind while they find some mischief to get into. (thank goodness I only have SIX of them! I don't think I could handle more than that!) But, I must admit, they have their charming qualities as well-- and LOTS of personality to boot! Much more entertaining than my Babydolls....!

The main questions you need to ask yourself is WHO is going to be doing all the work with them? If it's just YOU, trust me when I say you're going to want sheep you can manage on your own. My sheep are all small and I am strong enough to handle them alone -- (and they are just tolerant enough to let me do it! (LOL!) I do all my own shearing, trimming, worming, vaccinating, doctoring, and whatever OTHER kind of "man-handling" they might require, so I keep only the breeds I can safely handle by myself. I also am VERY fond of them, so that helps!

The other thing is not to get in too big a hurry to get some. Take your time, research the many breeds available, speak to people who've had the ones you are interested in (longer than just a few years...) and watch out for those *deals* that seem "too good to be true!" Like the old saying goes, "it probably IS!" But, if you're like me, you'll know in your heart which breed (or even which SHEEP!) is the right one for you! Happy "Wool gathering!" (LOL!) ~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  03:09:47 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
tracy, please post some pics of your jacobs! i adore them. they are on my must have list when i get back to the country.

What we write today slipped into our souls some other day when we were alone and doing nothing.
-Brenda Ueland

http://quilandneedle.blogspot.com/

http://musingandmuttering.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  08:13:10 AM  Show Profile
Corrine-- Right now I'm afraid I can't post pictures from our computer-- it's too OLD and too SLOW! It takes HOURS to download a picture, if it even will. We are looking in to getting a new one, so hopefully it won't be too long before I can share "Visuals" with you all. As soon as we have the capability to post pictures, I PROMISE I will! I SOOOOOO want to share!!!!

As for my Jacobs, they aren't the "Exciting" looking ones. Mine all have a single set of horns. I chose them that way DELIBERATELY as I have this morbid fear of all those horns sticking out on ONE head! I'm sure I will eventually get multie-horned lambs out of my stock, but probably not many. I looked at the papers of each carefully and there are more SINGLE horn ancestors than multies. Fortunately, the Jacobs are pretty gentle creatures, if not VERY curious and a bit hard to contain. But, you have to admit, those multi-horned ones sure do LOOK intimidating!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  08:18:43 AM  Show Profile
Oh, and to give you an example of just HOW gentle they are-- my ram, Ezra, laid down while I was hand clipping him last season. He laid there and pouted like a BABY!!! It was TOO FUNNY!!! I even trimmed his feet without a fight, except he wouldn't roll over and let me get the last one, so he only had THREE "pedicured" feet instead of four. Oh well, at least he didn't fight me like my Babydolls do!

Funny, I just realized the Babydolls are very docile 'till you need to handle them (even my "Pocket pet," Peaches!), while the Jacobs are the opposite. Once you have them in your clutches they don't fight much. At least, that's how MINE are... Hmmm.........

Go to Top of Page

marcy jo
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Marcy
Wawaka Indiana
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  11:06:36 AM  Show Profile  Send marcy jo a Yahoo! Message
I have a Babydoll and he is the sweetest thing. He takes commands like a dog, "get down" "come on" "git in there". He has a pen in the little barn with the rabbits and dog, in the morning I put his leash on him and walk him to the fence where his chain is. He roams around the yard then at night I unhook him and he runs to the barn, if I am not following fast enough he runs back across the yard as if to say Hurry Up Mom!!! He's sweet. As far as handling him-getting started is tricky but once I get him there he minds!!

Marcy #257

http://marcyjosmarket.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  10:04:25 AM  Show Profile
FiddleChick, I have shetlands, Oxfords, Corriedales, Polypays,and now some crosses. I bred all my ewes last year to Smokin, a oatmeal colored shetland ram. (except for Prissy, a registered Oxford). The crosses were hearty, hit the ground running...most shetland babies are up in a couple of hours and they are easy birthing. I also got some wonderful wool from the crosses.
I would advise you to visit other farms that raise sheep, maybe buy some different wool and spin it. But do keep in mind that not all sheep of a breed have the same texture wool. Each of my sheep have their own type of wool. I purchased a Border Liester from a breeder that has been breeding for years for fine spinning wool for the hand spinner. White Knight has wonderful wool. He is also very gentle. I am looking forward to seeing his babies this Spring. I will have shetlands that were not used to cross breed. Do you happen to live in Missouri or southern Iowa?....
Also if you do not plan on lambing, withers make wonderful fiber pets.
Hope you find the right breed for you.
Sarita

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Contentment is the crown jewel of a happy life.
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  12:47:58 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like you got a GEM Marcy! My Babydolls are pretty docile, but only one of them will let me pet her. In fact, she DEMANDS that I scratch her in all the places SHE can't reach! (LOL!!)

One of my younger ewes will also let me get close enough to scratch, but the rest of them run from me like I'm the Devil himself! I don't know why. They were ALL born and raised here (except Peaches-- the demanding one! and my breeding ram, Rocco). Maybe it's because I have so many. Funny thing is though, my RAMS are the friendly ones! Guess I just never spent enough time trying to "Make friends." my own fault..... sigh....

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Wanted: Your preferences on sheep breeds please Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page