judytwoshoes
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Julia L
Long Beach wa
USA
30 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2009 :  3:02:38 PM  Show Profile
My husband was doing work at Lower Granite, because he got off so late we ran into Colfax to oick up a few groceries.It was a black rainy night and chilly. Now I have been around snakes all my life, and I spotted a long white snake crossing the edge of the road. My brain said what the heck was that, it was close to the rimrock, and not farmed there at all. Close farms, but this area was too rough. So I looked it up, and maybe there are Plouse worms after all. They have just had to go where they are safe from man. Wouldn't hurt to look in those areasjudytwoshoes

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2009 :  8:15:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is really awesome, Julia! I know a grad student found one a few years ago unfortunately by digging it up which cut it in two. Contrary to popular belief, earthworms do not survive if cut in two. The Great Palouse Earthworm is an amazing creature. It is need to find evidence that what was once believed to be extinct is still be lurking out there! I hope that is one creature that finds a way to recovery!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2009 :  8:29:13 PM  Show Profile
Aaaaaaaaaaaah! You SAW one! Alive? I am green with envy. It's my hope to come across a whole one, alive, and get a picture of it.

We make a difference. http://huckleberrywine.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

judytwoshoes
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Julia L
Long Beach wa
USA
30 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  6:37:28 PM  Show Profile
I do feel I was lucky! I know that farmers use blanket spraying to kill bugs, if we could stop that, and teach them the newer improved old-fashioned methods to grow.I empathize with all family farmers, the huge corporate farms not so much. I hope that the shift in peoples beliefs that we need to eat good non-altered food will change the way of the American farm. I am encouraged, when you see grass fed animals, that are humanly treated. The first time I saw calves in veal boxes I wept. Are we so gluttonus to need to trap a small animal in a dark coffin like box to keep it from developing any muscle? Gads, I still cry when I think about it, and I am a strong old girl. judytwoshoes
Go to Top of Page

judytwoshoes
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Julia L
Long Beach wa
USA
30 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  6:40:25 PM  Show Profile
Oh, and bug observers, just go out and sit quietly in the rain at night. If they are there, they will come out. Don't cut them in two. Then you have two dead halves. judytwoshoes
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  8:37:01 PM  Show Profile
I still go-round with folks on that. I can't believe the number of people who think earthworms will regenerate, or grow into two worms if divided. I thought biology was a required high school class? :) I have a good spot where I think I might find one, but I haven't yet staked it out with my flashlight. Maybe I'll get lucky this spring?

Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  08:19:27 AM  Show Profile
What the heck are you guys talking about? Let me in!!

Farmgirl Sister #98
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  08:26:34 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Giant Palouse earthworm
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Giant Palouse earthworm

Conservation status

Vulnerable (IUCN 2.3)[1]
Scientific classification
Kingdom: Animalia

Phylum: Annelida

Class: Clitellata

Subclass: Oligochaeta

Order: Haplotaxida

Family: Megascolecidae

Genus: Driloleirus

Species: D. americanus

Binomial name
Driloleirus americanus
Smith, 1897
The giant Palouse earthworm or Washington giant earthworm (Driloleirus americanus, meaning lily-like worm[2]) is a species of earthworm belonging to the genus Driloleirus found in the Palouse region of Eastern Washington state as well as parts of Idaho in the United States. The worm was discovered in 1897. It can burrow down 5 meters (15 feet).[3]

Although it had been thought to be extinct in the 1980s, three additional sightings have demonstrated that the species, although vulnerable, is not yet extinct. The latest sighting included a specimen which was unearthed on May 27, 2005 by Yaniria Sanchez-de Leon, a graduate student from the University of Idaho.[4][3]

Contents [hide]
1 Biology
2 Conservation status
3 See also
4 References
5 External links

[edit] Biology
Little is known about the giant Palouse earthworm. The worm is believed to grow up to 1 m (3 ft) in length. Modern specimens, however, have only been observed up to about half that length. The worm is albino in appearance, and when handled it gives off a scent similar to that of the lily flower.[2] It is reported to be able to spit in self-defense.[3]

This species' native habitat consists of the bunch grass prairies of the Palouse region. The fertile soil consists of deposits of volcanic ash and rich layers of organic matter, thought to sustain the worm during dry seasons. The worm burrows deep during summer droughts and is able to conserve water in its nephridia.[3][2]

[edit] Conservation status
As of 2001[update], the giant Palouse earthworm was considered by the World Conservation Union (IUCN) to be endangered due to loss of habitat and competition from non-native species.[1][2] In August 2006, conservationists petitioned the U.S. government to list the worm under the Endangered Species Act.[3] However, in October 2007, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service determined that the species was not to be protected under the Endangered Species Act, a decision that prompted a decision by a number of environmental organizations to sue the agency "to ensure the vanishing giant earthworm receives the protection it deserves."[5]

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  09:26:24 AM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh - I'm almost sorry I asked!! I've never heard of such a thing - thanks Alee!

Farmgirl Sister #98
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2009 :  6:57:25 PM  Show Profile
With a face only a mother could love? (I know, that's not the face end...is it?) Poor homely GPE. Alee, are those centimeters on that picture? They can't be inches! Really only shows how white they are, not much good as a specimen photograph...I guess they just see so few, and get so excited, a good picture is hard to take.

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2009 :  8:25:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Michelle- With an earthworm that can grow to 3 feet long- I think that is inches!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

homergirl1957
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

cathy
tieton washington
111 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  6:44:08 PM  Show Profile
well, at least they are trying to protect a species that is actually indigenous to the area. sometimes those guys get all worked up over a species that never belonged in its current habitat to begin with.
i'll have to ask my kids if they have heard of this worm as they both went to wsu. has mary jane ever heard of it? i'm thinking some sort of mascot?
very interesting topic.
cathy

in the midst of difficulty lies opportunity.-a. einstein
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  10:39:44 PM  Show Profile
Well at the risk of making enemies here, I just hope no one tells the EPA or the other conservation fanatics, they will have the poor farmer's fields shut down in the area and make the town abandon the road near where the worm was.....it's just ridiculous what happens. I'm all for conserving nature but there are limits too. There is a circle of life that is ever changing on this planet and we (humans) aren't ALWAYS the bad guys.

Well, I've vented, now I'll go. It just pushes my buttons when people mentioned in line 1 above, have to butt into other peoples....everything...and it just seems like the farmer always gets it in the end(bottom end that is).
Cindy

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1

Edited by - Mother Hen on Feb 25 2009 10:44:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  07:07:55 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Yes, MaryJane has definitely hear of it. She wrote about it in one of her books. Don't quote me on it, but I believe it was the Lifebook...I would have to go check and they are in the other room...Yes I am feeling pretty lazy this morning.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  7:07:14 PM  Show Profile
Uh, I mean...gee, I have no idea where I might go see one...hmm. True, it is sad. It teaches people who do realize they have something special to keep quiet about it and take care of it themselves so as not to loose their rights to ...take care of it themselves! Most of the people out there are good hearted and tired of interference. It certainly is a complicated issue.

Not so sure a gigantic white worm would make as cute a mascot as a hen with an apron. But I bet there are folks artistic enough to do it. :)

Go to Top of Page

homergirl1957
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

cathy
tieton washington
111 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  7:21:01 PM  Show Profile
come on now i'm thinking a giant palouse earthworm made out muslin and stuffed with rice would make a good draft blocker for a window or door.
anyone?

in the midst of difficulty lies opportunity.-a. einstein
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2009 :  7:10:52 PM  Show Profile
I found another picture of one...this one is shown next to a ruler, full body length, but the ruler is a 6 inch ruler. Makes the worm appear much larger until you look at the detail. It is still impressive at 6 inches, especially compared to the garden variety earthworm also included in the photo for comparison. Sad part is you can see where the poor thing was chopped by the shovel. So, I guess that photo you have Alee is showing his worm face.

They have the picture at the PPF website. When I tried to post a connection here, it was like a paragraph long. I'll see if I can get a connection that works better.

Edited by - Huckelberrywine on Feb 27 2009 7:25:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2009 :  08:59:49 AM  Show Profile
Who knew, a worm that long and white!!!!! That was educational, I never knew about the Palouse worm. Thanks!!!!

www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Thistle Cove Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

141 Posts

Sandra
Tazewell VA
USA
141 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  04:08:31 AM  Show Profile
I just love being a part of an community where women get excited over worms! Seriously, if I talked about worms around here, people would move to the other side of the road, or street, if I was in town. -LOL-

Sandra @ Thistle Cove Farm ~ God's blessings on you, yours and the work of your hands & heart ~
www.thistlecovefarm.com
www.thistlecovefarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  11:21:29 AM  Show Profile
Funny, Sandra, and so true! :)

This is off the subject of worms, but once I lived in West Palm, and had just moved there from the mid-west, which is bugless compared to the south of Florida. I was walking my dog late at night and under a light on the road was a cock roach (Palmetto Bug) that was almost six inches long! I had only seen the little German roaches before, and those were enough to cause my mom to FREAK! I will never forget that roach, it was as long as my hand, and could even fly. I later found out that they fly during mating season, or something. There are amazing things on this earth. I have never heard of the Palouse Worm, but that is really interesting. It must be albino from lack of being in the light of the surface of the earth.

Speaking of roaches and albino (I guess I am on a roll here about bugs) once I saw an acquaintance (he had bought an OLD house) open an old garage door that had kind of been built into the side of a hill. It had not been opened for years. This was also in FLorida. When he opened that door, out ran dozens of albino roaches! Then, after a few seconds, they all turned around and ran back in the garage!!!

Okay, I will stop now.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13

Edited by - jpbluesky on Mar 16 2009 11:25:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2009 :  7:54:17 PM  Show Profile
AaaaaaaH! Cock-a-roaches! I love that it is too cold for them here. I suppose you are right about bugs and worms...I guess we all have our peeves and it's nice we're not too peevish around here. :)

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2009 :  8:05:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Eww yeah. I don't think I could handle cockroaches. They give me the creeps!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Thistle Cove Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

141 Posts

Sandra
Tazewell VA
USA
141 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2009 :  5:09:49 PM  Show Profile
don't think I've commented on this so here goes...if "again", just pretend this is the first time you've read it! -smile-
Years ago I took a friend and her 2 daughters to the Smithsonian Bug Museum so they could pet, touch, handle, feel, hold cockroaches and other bugs. They sure had a good time while I watched! -smile-

Sandra @ Thistle Cove Farm ~ God's blessings on you, yours and the work of your hands & heart ~
www.thistlecovefarm.com
www.thistlecovefarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  **News from MaryJanesFarm: Previous Topic Palouse Worm Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page