Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 What do Wal-mart & Joanns Fabric have in Commen?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic What do Wal-mart & Joanns Fabric have in Commen? Next Topic
Page: of 2

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  11:29:48 AM  Show Profile
Karen
I share your scentaments about the "switcharoo" on sizes....I HAVE to wear my reading glasses all the time when I shope other wise I end up w/products not the right size, or what I thought was labeled one thing only to find, in smaller print, someting else....ex: sucrose....I hate that product & try not to buy foods with it and yet, I brought home some yogurt recently only to see after wards as I was removing the label(I save the little containers for seed starters) that it had sucrose in it which explains why I thought it tasted odd. Go figure!

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
"I've never met a sewing machine I didn't like!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Thistle Cove Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

141 Posts

Sandra
Tazewell VA
USA
141 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  12:53:00 PM  Show Profile
Katmom - I believe Disney started this "trend". When their first 50 year copyright was up, they petitioned...iow, bought with campaign donations...to have the law changed. Result? They got a second 50 year copyright to Mickey, Minnie, Cinderella, Snow White, etc.
For those who shop food at the dollar stores, be careful. A lot of canned goods are China in origin and people have been getting sick on their canned peaches,
Foreign countries are allowed to grow whatever in whatever...remember paraquat?...while USA farmers are held to the most rigid standards imaginable. Our food costs a bit more but it's safer to eat or at least I believe it's safer.

Thistle Cove Farm ~ God's blessings on you, yours and the work of your hands & heart ~
www.thistlecovefarm.com
www.thistlecovefarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  10:41:34 AM  Show Profile
Sandra
for the very same reason you mentioned, I don't buy out of season produce (that is exported into our country) from certain countries because of their lack of proper sanitation, irrigation & use of proper & safe farming techniques.
On a vacation to Matzalan Mexico, I thought I was going to go home a widow,,,,my DH had some cerviche that nearly killed him(horrible story) turns out a few weeks earlier a hurricane went through that area, and a lot of the sewage run off washed into the "Shrimp bed farms"( or what ever they are called) a large part of the population got very sick and yes sadly there were some deaths. The sanitary conditions are deplorable even in the nice Resorts like where we stayed. I will never ever go back to Mexico. Not to mention the well to do(affluent) people of Mexico treat the poor horrible. It breaks my heart to have seen evidence of that first hand.
So now I just make do w/o summer fruits (cept bananas) till they are in season & grown in the US. I would rather pay the higher price & support our local farms. I can always make cuts else were in my budget to accommodate buying better, healthier & preferably organic foods.

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
"I've never met a sewing machine I didn't like!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Thistle Cove Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

141 Posts

Sandra
Tazewell VA
USA
141 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2009 :  12:47:26 PM  Show Profile
Grace - I'm with you on the not buying out of season. Saw some blueberries at Sam's the other day, looked at country of origin and it said Peru so back they went. I rarely buy anything out of season due to lack of taste and flavor. Another reason the garden will be larger this year -smile-.

Thistle Cove Farm ~ God's blessings on you, yours and the work of your hands & heart ~
www.thistlecovefarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Thistle Cove Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

141 Posts

Sandra
Tazewell VA
USA
141 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2009 :  05:49:42 AM  Show Profile
An update re Dollar Stores, Dollar General, Family Dollar and Dollar Tree are all part of the same group and not owned by Wal-Mart. Actually, those stores are giving WM a run for its money as they tend to be the stores people shop at who find WM a bit pricey or, for whatever reason, won't shop at WM.
MyDollarStore Franchises are available and growing at a rate of about 34%, adding 4,000 new stores in the last 3 years...another reason WM is taking a hard look. Sales of more than 300,000 stores have surprassed $1 trillion...another reason WM is taking a hard look.
$ Stores are picking up speed and market shares...quickly.
FDO is their symbol on the NYSE and they are currently trading at <$30 and, in this economy, that's pretty strong.

www.thistlecovefarm.com
Go to Top of Page

idsweetie72
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Sandra
New Meadows idaho
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2009 :  07:05:31 AM  Show Profile
I personally have boycotted Wal-Mart- it has been years since I have been in one. I try to make my purchases from the smaller "mom and pop", shops, or the little out of the way shops- helps our local economy- also- they can have some outstanding deals where you can purchase high quality products for a Wal-Mart price. I do shop at the dollar stores also- but just for small insignifigant (spelled correctley?) items.
Just my opinion- wally world is one of the reasons local economies have taken such a dive.

Mazy Day Farm
Go to Top of Page

cj6
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

cj

USA
196 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2009 :  12:17:38 AM  Show Profile
Farmmommy,you said your mother works at corp. for walmart?Will you pretty please,ask her to talk to whomever she needs to and let them know,customers are begging "please,please don't take away our fabric and crafts area(and maybe put back what they already have taken away?)For sew many of us it's the only place we can buy those things with making along drive.Just thought I'd ask farm girl to farm girl>Thanks! : )

cj6 *believe in miracles*
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2009 :  01:07:59 AM  Show Profile
Here's the site that covers and will update the proceedings of the class action sexual discrimination suit that is against Walmart. The ladies finally had enough..
http://www.walmartclass.com/public_home.html

"Shop in your local stores whenever possible."

Queen of Dreamsz ~ keeper of dream kingdom
www.queenofdreamsz.blogspot.com ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ My Creative Journey

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass…it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Go to Top of Page

LauriP
True Blue Farmgirl

239 Posts

Laurianne
Hertford North Carolina
USA
239 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2009 :  07:35:29 AM  Show Profile
>> Dollar Tree -- Dollar General -- plus some of the other discount stores, are Very Definetly giving W.M. a run for their money <<

This last year, the trucking co. that tom drives for, has seen a big increase in container traffic to the "dollars" locations, as opposed to WM -- there has been something of a battle going on with the competition from WM, and' they seem to be losing ground. Thus the changes in sizes for certain name brand products. And, they can get the produce from overseas at a bargain basement price.

From experience -- try not to get the produce from wm if you can help it - that is if that's where you shop. I've gone in a wm I think 3 times in the past 4 years...I've talked about them before, an' I won't rant on them today..

As the economy goes thru this mess, the battles between these stores will only get worse...leaving some of the mom & pop stores in a good position to gather back some customers. I'm not sure what the fall shipping is looking like right now...it's slowly picking up, but I can't tell how much of a difference it's gonna make.

Let's hear it from the Mom & Pop stores -- do everything you can to keep them in business, or increase purchasing from them. Tomorrow I'm going to the local Family Owned Fabric store..just to get some thread and bias tape...otherwise it's a 60 + mile drive to buy some...

Laurianne
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic What do Wal-mart & Joanns Fabric have in Commen? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page