Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 What do Wal-mart & Joanns Fabric have in Commen?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic What do Wal-mart & Joanns Fabric have in Commen? Next Topic
Page: of 2

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2009 :  11:03:04 PM  Show Profile
OK, what do Wal-mart & Joanns have in commen?????
Well the last I heard was that Wal-mart purchased Joanns...is it true?????
I had to to make a a quick run into the Wal-mart store in the little town down the road form us...I was chatting with one of the Wal-mart employees,,,,and he said that his wife is an avid stock market watcher & she said that Walmart bought up Joanns Fabric store stock....hmmm I wonder if it is true....any ideas how to research this bit of info?
The employee is a long time Wal-mart employee,a Military Vet and had nothing but good things to say about Wal-mart.
Oh he also said that Wal-mart bought out the Rubber Made company...hmmm, I think I will try to Google all this info to see if it true of just crazy rumors.
Just wondering....
*** I have been searching the net to find out if any of this is true...,.
I did not realize that Hancock Fabric filed Chapt.11 in 2007....
I use to shop ClothWorld & House of Fabric...both of which, if I remember correctly, were bought out by Joanns.
Where have all the wonderful fabric shops gone?

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
"I've never met a sewing machine I didn't like!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on Feb 19 2009 11:30:13 PM

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2009 :  06:16:46 AM  Show Profile
Hi Grace,
I know that Walmart was phasing out their fabric sections. I am not sure why. Our has been replacing it with a hometrends type thing. Modern vases and decorations. I haven't heard about them buying Joanns, but as much as a monopoly as they are I wouldn't doubt it. I will see what I can find online too. Interesting question, for sure! :)
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

"The grass withereth,the flower fadeth:but the word of our God shall stand forever." Is. 40:8

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2009 :  07:54:27 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
All the more reason to support the litle mom and pop fabric shops around :)

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/http://renenaturallyspeaking.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2009 :  07:59:46 AM  Show Profile
Rene' I agree with supporting the mom and pop fabric stores! My mother works for Corporate Offices WalMart, and like Jessie said, All Walmarts WERE supposed to be doing away with fabric departments in the next year!! I'll have to contact my mother and see about this JoAnns thing!
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2009 :  08:01:15 AM  Show Profile
Exactly! It is getting harder and harder for small businesses to be able to make a go of things when larger coporations are slowly buying up and taking over. :)
Long live the little guys! hehe
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

"Certain thoughts are prayers.There are moments when, whatever be the attitude of the body, the soul is on its knees"--V.Hugo

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kpaints
True Blue Farmgirl

1564 Posts

karen
cheney wa
1564 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2009 :  08:08:13 AM  Show Profile  Send kpaints an AOL message
I agree, would love to know what you find out Grace. Not liking the sound of this, we have so few fabrics stores as it it. I always wonder about quality control in a situation like this. And why would Joann's need to do this, they seem to be doing well. I am not surprised about Hancock's, bet we don't see a replacement store on Francis.

Find your joy and live it. http://cheneybaglady.blogspot.com/http://www.kpaints.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2009 :  09:41:02 AM  Show Profile
Oh, oh, if this is true, my gas bill is going way up - to a mom and pop store.

Farmgirl Sister #98
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2009 :  10:04:00 AM  Show Profile
I work at a wonderful fabric shop/ quilting shop in Nelsonville, Ohio....the owner will be glad to hear this news...she has over 1,800 bolts of fabric...so ya'll come on down and buy some! lol

Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2009 :  06:47:55 AM  Show Profile
Even if Wal-Mart didn't buy Joann's I'd still shop at a local quilt shop or from an independent online seller. The quality of fabric can't be compared! I just got a small bit of fabric at Joann's to finish up a project. It was horrible! It faded when I washed it, stretched and was horrible to work with.

Handmade Soap and More! http://www.therusticcottagebath.com
The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2009 :  08:16:22 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
I don't know about Joann's and Rubbermade, but I do know that Walmart owns Dollar General.

What we write today slipped into our souls some other day when we were alone and doing nothing.
-Brenda Ueland

http://quilandneedle.blogspot.com/

http://musingandmuttering.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

gspringman
True Blue Farmgirl

387 Posts

Gail
Bonanza Oregon
USA
387 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2009 :  08:41:34 AM  Show Profile  Send gspringman a Yahoo! Message
I have to say, I just came on line and see this forum on Walmart and Joanns and have to tell you. I have been awake since 2 am this morning do to jaw pain I'm dealing with at the moment. But what I have been thinking about since that time laying there in bed, is how Joanns needs to redecorate their store in our small town and get rid of all the crafty crap that our new Michaels store now carries, and carry more sewing laces and such and just plain open it up. It is just too crowded and arranged very poorly. I say this because I have been going back and forth to find the things I need now between Walmart and Joanns. What one does'nt have the other does (or not). So now this makes sense if Walmart has bought up Joanns. Anyway just had to comment on this since its all I've thought about for 4 hours. Boy do I need sleep.

Farmgirl #486
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2009 :  10:33:17 AM  Show Profile
Gail....I don't mean to scare you but jaw pain in women can mean the onset of a heart attack unless you have just had dental work or something. I hope you are feeling better but if you don't have a reason why you're having it I would get someone to drive you to the ER right away. Women have different symptons than men you know. I hope that is NOT what it is but I couldn't just ignore your comment either. Hope all is well.

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226

www.farmgirlsam.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2009 :  11:18:25 AM  Show Profile
Hey Gail
yep, Sandra is right about the jaw pain...an other reason for it tooo could be if you are talking Fasomex-for ostopherosis...turns out that was what was causing my jain pain & heart flutters...needless to say I no longer take it...but rather I now take 1500mlg calcium + D and get more weight baring exercise in ...as well as cut back on caffiene.

As for Wally World....I spent nearly 2 hours reading anything I could find on the WM-Joann issue...& still came up Bupkis!
Anyone else have any luck?
Kelly have you had a chance to ask your mom yet if she knows if this is true????

Karen, I'm thinking you are probablly right about the Hancock on Francis... bummer!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

gspringman
True Blue Farmgirl

387 Posts

Gail
Bonanza Oregon
USA
387 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  09:30:04 AM  Show Profile  Send gspringman a Yahoo! Message
Thanks gals for the advice. My daughter called my dentist and he prescribed antibiotics. I've been on them 2 days now and feeling a bit better. Will have some xrays done next week to see what may be going on for this jaw pain. I will definetly keep in mind about the heart thing. Did'nt have a clue on that. It's nice having someone to chat with on things though. LOL

Farmgirl #486
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  11:25:56 AM  Show Profile
Corrine, are you serious about Wal-mart owning Dollar general?Darn, if that's true, there goes another store I can't go to. And DG is supposed to be building one out here in the middle of nowhereville 8 miles from us. They will be tearing down a beutiful old barn to do it. I may have to go chain myself to it soon.

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  6:04:59 PM  Show Profile
Well all I know is the thing that walmarts and joanns have in common is their yulky fabric. the smaller quilt stores buy different fabrics and are so much better and wear longer too. if you want to make something that lasts a long time shop at the quilt stores. I do have a question though. I had heard that walmarts owned walgreens too, does anyone know about that? Just wondering about all the rumors too...

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

Yaya
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

38 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  9:20:34 PM  Show Profile
All three Walmarts in our city did away with their fabric sections. Well last week I went by there (after promising myself I would never go back since they no longer had fabric) and was SOOO surprised to see they had a very 'small' section of several bolts of fabric. What's with that? I was scratching my head trying to figure it out!
Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2009 :  09:23:21 AM  Show Profile
I was at Joann's today and decided to ask the manager if Wal-Mart was buying them. She told me that rumor has been flying around for years but was not true. So, those who shop at Joann's can breathe easy

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!

http://farmgirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Gaelic Gardener
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Kelly
Providence Rhode Island
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2009 :  09:41:21 AM  Show Profile
We used to have a great store in our state called Fabric place -- a HUGE selection of really great fabrics. I learned how to knit there, I learned how to quilt there. They had knitter's breakfasts with giveaways and guest speakers and workshops. I LOVED that store! And then Joann came to town. The new and improved Joann, which was more like a Michaels, and it drove Fabric Place out of business. Now there aren't really that many Mom and Pop stores, where you can buy quilting fabric anyway. It's mostly just upholstery. So now I buy a lot of fabric on eBay.
--Kelly

“We can complain because rose bushes have thorns,
or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
Abraham Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

nin1952
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Donna
Cedartown GA
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2009 :  11:14:35 AM  Show Profile

I am new to this forum but I have been reading all your comments. I loved the mom and pop fabric stores. But, when Wal-mart came to town, they drove all our small stores out of business. We used to have several lovely fabric shops. Today we have none. All we have is Wal-mart and a Hancocks about 30 miles away. For this very reason, my husband has not gone to Wal-mart for over 3 years now. They don't treat the people who are trying to make a living by selling their products to people at a reasonable price right. They buy their rights to the product and then they up the price. I go only if (and it's a hugh IF) I absolutely cannot find what I need anywhere else. JoAnns is about 50 miles from us.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2009 :  3:05:29 PM  Show Profile
Hey there Donna. I am just up from you near Lafayette. I go to Rome quite a bit. Yeah, another Ga. girl here!!

I don't go to Walmart. either. Haven't in a few years. I did go to our little Dollar Gen today and asked if Wakmart owned them and she says no. So I don't know. Has anyone heard any more about DG?

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2009 :  4:18:46 PM  Show Profile
One thing about our JoAnns is they try to have quilting fabric that everyone can pick from
Sometimes, they have the same old stuff though.
But, here lately they have been getting some pretty fabric in
Only problem is
It went up about $2.00.ugh.
hugs Sheila

www.ohkayteagirl2.blogspot.com
http;//www.sheilascreativetouches.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Thistle Cove Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

141 Posts

Sandra
Tazewell VA
USA
141 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2009 :  5:09:19 PM  Show Profile
New...again to MJF and new to this thread. What I've heard is WalMart bought Hancock Fabric except for the Paducah, KY store. JoAnn's is still in business and trades on the NYSE.
WalMart owns 51% of Lowe's which is one reason you'll always see them in close proximity. I know there are a lot of people who hate WalMart but in a lot of rural areas they are the only choice. We haven't had a fabric store in about two generations in our little corner of the world; perhaps longer. It's almost an hour's drive to a Joann's Fabric and a twenty minute drive to the WalMart that still has a fabric department. As the WalMart stores are being remodeled, the fabric departments are being phased out. I'll be sorry to see them go as they have Very Good Quality fabric along with the less expensive stuff. In Appalachia, there are a lot of people who simply cannot afford $8 and $10 a yard fabric and are happy to buy $2 a yard at WalMart. God bless 'em; at least they are still sewing and quilting.
Just another point of view, not trying to be ornery.

Thistle Cove Farm ~ God's blessings on you, yours and the work of your hands & heart ~
www.thistlecovefarm.com
www.thistlecovefarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2009 :  5:11:12 PM  Show Profile
Now I understand why there are so many Dollar general Stores...the same way that there are so many Walmarts. I use to live in Lawrenceville Ga. And from just a 15 mile stretch of Lawrenceville Hwy are 3 Walmarts..1 every 5 miles....I still like Target alot better...Not many of those around.

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  10:24:25 AM  Show Profile
Back when I was in High School....you know, when Dinosaurs walked the earth! lol!, I remember studying that in the USA "Monopolies" were a violation of the US Constitution.... laws were set up that no 1 company could be the only provider/manufacture/producer/wholesale/resaleer etc.... to prevent a company to be able to "controll" the market, yet look at Wal-mart and a lot of the other large companies and you will see that they do so via 'subsiduries..ex:Wal-mart/Sam's Club, Dollar General & Lowes...one big happy family. I refer to it as "friendly competition" because no matter which of those 4 stores(& I am sure there are more) you shop from, they all win as they are truly 1big family..
A lot of companies that produce foods/cleaning supplies etc...have diverse subsiduries...ex:Proctor & Gamble/Gillete... AND a lot of these companies own "organic" type companies as well, so again it is a Win-Win situation for them. The masses can buy the toxic stuff and the health/animal minded can buy the organic products thinking they are doing the right thing. But in the end no matter what we do, we are still fueling the Mega Corparations wallets and the hard working smaller retailers are becoming a thing of the past. But hopefuly the current Grass Roots movement of smaller retailers, local grown or handmade products, will continue. I love that so many women now have the opportunity to sell their creative wares via etsy/ebay etc. I wish we did not have to be so dependent on Mega stores that are planted every 5-10 miles,,,,but I also am a realist to know that these mega stores do provide jobs in regions that might otherwise not have any employment availible. So do we drive 30-60 miles to go shopping or 10 miles. I know it can be a royal pain when you are in the middle of a project and realize you need a dozen 6-penny nails or what ever, have to stop & jump into the truck to head into town....thank goodness we have an old hardware store, run by an even older and meaniest, crankiest old coot who has the personality of a rock, but he dose carry 6-penny nails...and yes he charges 2 arms & a leg for them but at least he is only 10 miles down the road!
OK, I am done being "opinionated, I will step down off my soap box & put it away in the closet till next time...hmmm, maybe I will jump in the "gas guzzler", drive 15 miles down the road and get myself a Venti Mocha Latte over at Starbucks! ok, now I really am full of piss & vinegar! lol!
>^..^<

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on Feb 25 2009 10:25:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

kpaints
True Blue Farmgirl

1564 Posts

karen
cheney wa
1564 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  11:20:54 AM  Show Profile  Send kpaints an AOL message
Ok, Katmom I am so behind you and not just for the coffee!!lol I hate to tell you(I know you know this) but the bigger companies are buying out all the little 'natural' guys once they are doing well, so you won't see so many little guys any more, even the organic type. I still will try and dig them out. I have to say I broke my 'rule' lately and went to WM looking for A@H washing soda as I could not find it anywhere. (Got the wrong thing from the laundry isle A@H baking soda) But grabbed a little six pack of tuna since it was a good buy......went to make it the other day and thought 'boy, those cans look a bit little' sure enough, not 6 oz but 5oz. That's it for me, they got Bumblee Bee to make special size products to get more sales for them. I hate that!!! No more WM, too many rip offs for me. I am done. P. S. I did not know WM owned part of Lowes but it makes sense because I always shop Home Depot.

Find your joy and live it. http://cheneybaglady.blogspot.com/http://www.kpaints.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic What do Wal-mart & Joanns Fabric have in Commen? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page