mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  1:12:39 PM  Show Profile
My mom just received a "collection notice" from an agency called Bay Area Credit for $935. This notice came to the house where she used to live - I sold the house to my son three years ago who in turn has
in turn leased the house to a third party. They notified my son that my mom had some mail there. Mom has been in an Alzheimer's home for almost 5 years, and I take care of all of her bills - which only consist of her care, and her doctor, which I take her to all of her appointments and the bills come here. There is no way that she has incurred a bill in the last five years that I wouldn't know about. I looked this supposed agency up online and couldn't find it and I did a reverse search on their phone number - no luck. This obviously is a scam. Who should I report it to? Any ideas? Thanks!

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba

Edited by - mikesgirl on Feb 17 2009 09:45:05 AM

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  1:20:06 PM  Show Profile
It took four years for a bill to get to me that was sent to the wrong address and then it finally hit the collection so I am just saying mine was real. If it is a scam notify the Police in you area. Or the BBB.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  1:41:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Yes, I would call both the BBB, the police, AND also pull your mom's credit report through www.annualcreditreport.com (It's really free once per year). Make sure nothing is falsely being reported to her credit.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

palmettogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

571 Posts

sue
camden south carolina
USA
571 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  1:43:58 PM  Show Profile
perhaps contact the post office. tell the people there about your mom being away that you don't believe the bill to be valid. it may fall into a "mail fraud" type of thing???
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  2:03:34 PM  Show Profile
Ok...shoot me, but I'd call an attorney to write a quick letter. It sounds like that zombie debt that follows our clients around and you'll never make any headway with these creditors. They buy the debt for pennies on the dollar and then try to collect the $ for themselves. They will consistently keep adding late fees and harrassing you and everyone else that lives near or by her.

The police really don't care...and the BBB really doesn't either, sadly--they can do little, unless it's actually fraud. If you're going to call someone, call the office of your state's attorney general, who handles these types of creditor matters. You may make little headway there, either, because it's so common.

Best bet, seriously, spend about $60 and get an attorney to dispute the debt, demand verification (including any and all statements and correspondence from the ORIGINIAL creditor) and put it on a lawfirm letterhead. It's much easier solved that way. They'll back down, believe me.
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  2:56:30 PM  Show Profile
Since she has done her mothers business all this time, it is most definitely fraud and not a real creditor, especially since there is nothing online about this "business". So the police still need to know about this fraud. They prey on old people.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  4:19:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
Sherri this is the info I googled

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:*:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7ADBS_en&ei=XAKaSZeJA4nOsAOmjMx4&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=Bay+Area+Credit+Agency&spell=1

Follow some of these links and they will tell you a but about the company, like they are FRAUDS. Report the the BBB also check Moms credit report if they have anything on her report you can file a suit/ complaint against them..

Mama to 2
FarmGirl# 20

People can only make you feel inferior with your permission, and you dont have my permission......

Dont let the chain of love end with you.....

http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  6:50:44 PM  Show Profile
Well, it doesn't have to BE a debt from the last 5 years...it can be much earlier. They are not valid creditors, but they have most likely purchased the debt...and yes, it does seem fraudulent, but the state attorney general is equipped with lists of these very organizations, and probably have received complaints already. And, most of these creditors do not have webpages or any type of available information online, but that doesn't mean they're not licensed. I work for a business and estate attorney, and debt comes in all shapes and sizes, and "creditors", though the term is loose, do as well.

The BBB must be REALLY great all over the rest of America, and just be terrible here...we are actually advised NOT to inform them, because all they can do is put a "flag" and list the business...that doesn't stop them from harrassing you.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  6:56:05 PM  Show Profile
Actually, I did a search and this is what I came up with, on the first try, the first "choice" in Yahoo search. They do medical collections primarily. If this is the organization, with your mother's health issues and medicines, etc and the way these doctor's turn things over to collections after 30 days, it could be plausible. Just a thought. I'm not saying you shouldn't dispute it...I am saying that you should demand all documentation.
http://www.bayareacredit.com/resume.htm
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2009 :  09:35:04 AM  Show Profile
I believe depending on the original date that the bill was incurred, there is probably a statute of limitations on it anyway..?
I'd send a letter to your Attorney General. Tell them what happened and send a copy of the statement. Chances are that this collection company is doing this to lots of other elderly people. Ask the collection company to send you a copy of the original invoice/purchase agreement statement etc. if you don't have one. When all else fails, tell them you'll see them in court. Then they have to come up with the correct paperwork and all the time they will have to spend in litigation, they'll probably just go away.....maybe.
Thanks Alee for the website info...I'm gonna go check that out!
Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2009 :  09:44:38 AM  Show Profile
I think I"ve finally tracked down what's going on. My mom fell out of bed at her Alzheimer's facility about a year ago and they took her to the ER. I was under the impression that they drove her (it's about 2 miles) and they never told me any different. I talked to the lady who owns the home last night and she said they 'may' have transported by ambulance - she'd have to go back and look it up. She told me that the ambulance would be paid by Medicare and then my mom's secondary insurance IF the ambulance driver got a signature from the doc. She said that bill would have been about $600 (I know - $600 for 2 miles?). Anyway, $600 plus 50% for the collection agency would be about what they're saying she owes. I'll bet they didn't even bill Medicare and Uniform but what I don't understand is if they had that address the collection agency had, Mom hasn't lived there for a long time. Where did they get that address to send a bill to, if they sent a bill ( I have never received one). And, if the bill came back to them, why wouldn't they send it to the address they picked her up from, and they would have passed it along to me. I could have at least submitted it to the insurance companies. Now, they say, it's too late to deal with the ambulance company, it's already in collections. I have never dealt with a collection company before and I'm not going to call them from our phone and let them get our number. I think I may just follow the suggestion of getting a lawyer to deal with it. Mom does not have $935 - she runs about $300-$400 in the deficit every month. If the ambulance company would have submitted the bill Medicare would have paid it with a doctors signature as medically necessary. What a mess - just another example of someone not doing their job and the common person getting stuck with the results. I'm feeling pretty bitter about this this morning.........

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2009 :  09:51:34 AM  Show Profile
Sorry about whats happening. I would call a lawyer too and also to send a letter to the Ambulance company too.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2009 :  10:19:28 AM  Show Profile
I'm glad you may have found out what's happening, Sherri. And, I'm sorry that medical billing can be so frustrating. These places hand things over now to collections after 30 days time--, it's hard to keep track of bills like that, especially when they mail them to the wrong place! I know with my Great Aunt, she was taken from the nursing facility in an outside ambulance service for radiation, for 8 days. I received a bill for $38,000.00, just for transportation. Every month, I got a new bill, in a different amount (sometimes more, sometimes less). I waited until they FINALLY, after 2 years, charged Medicare, and then paid the final sum of....$179.00--$38,000.00 to $179.00. Unbelievable.

Here's what I do know...you are not personally responsible for the debt, even if you are your mother's poa, you are not personally responsible for the debt. You do the best you can to pay them, but you are not liable. And, if your mother is on a limited income, and if counsel discloses the fact that Medicare was never properly billed for these services, it's likely they will settle, or write it off. Now, it's already in collections, so please don't feel bad about your mother's "credit". At this point, who cares? She's elderly, and it's neither here nor there.

I would ask that an attorney do the correspondence for you, because at that point, they will be forced to communicate with the counsel's office, thereby remedying you and your family from creditor calls, and that way they won't have any of your information.
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2009 :  11:05:37 AM  Show Profile
Thanks February Violet - that's exactly what I intend to do!

Farmgirl Sister #98
Go to Top of Page

Thistle Cove Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

141 Posts

Sandra
Tazewell VA
USA
141 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2009 :  1:04:57 PM  Show Profile
SCC - State Corporation Commission is another good contact; along with the State legal department or state lawyer. There's a name for it but can't remember.

Thistle Cove Farm ~ God's blessings on you, yours and the work of your hands & heart ~
www.thistlecovefarm.com
www.thistlecovefarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2009 :  1:15:57 PM  Show Profile
I can't say that Bay State Credit will be like this, but I received a notice from a collections agency once and it was very easy to straighten things out with them.

I called the number on the letter, explained to the representative that this "debt" was a longstanding customer service issue I'd been having with a credit card company, they agreed that it was nothing I should be expected to pay, and I never heard from the collections agency or the credit card company again. The collections agency actually set the credit card company straight and got THEM to stop harrassing me.

I hope this goes as smoothly for you! Bottom line: what February Violet said, this is not something you are personally responsible for, it's just a matter of billing going astray that needs to be set straight.
Go to Top of Page

Sagewood
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

South Carolina
106 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2009 :  2:49:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Sagewood a Yahoo! Message
You can also check with the insurance company. Most companies have a 'submit' cut off date (usually 6 months to a year) and if the medical/doctors/ambulance etc does not submit their claim within that time period, it is no longer valid that the insurance company pay for it. WHICH if I'm not mistaken, takes you off the hook too as it is their responsibility to file their claims as long as insurance information was given.
Start at the center she is at, collect all records of the fall and transportation, etc, then go the insurance company and have them review their records for that date WITH you. If the ambulace company did not file the claim, ask the insurance company who would be responsible for the bill.
Sure hope you can get this solved..GOOD LUCK!

Sage,
Visit Sagewood Blog
http://sagewoodfarm.blogspot.com/

The Hedgewife
Are you a Hedgewife?
http://hedgewife.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Who do I contact? UPDATE Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page