Page: of 2

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2009 :  08:15:13 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
SO this coming spring, I have save some $$$ and am going to buy some dresses to wear all the time. I am not a big short person when I am about town. I don't mind them a them at home. It gets so dang hot hot hot here in Texs, that I practically lived in my 2 cotton tank dresses from April to September. So I am going to build a cotton dress collection to wear. Old Navy has some cute selections and I can put little tank tops underneath if I want. Anyone else where dresses all the time?

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2009 :  11:06:53 AM  Show Profile
I wear Tees and home made !00% cotton elsatic skirts that I make in the summer.
It is so hot and humid in Virginia too in the summer.
I have a problem with my bladder so, I don't wear skirts out.
I love jean skirts too.
I want to make more skirts for summer.
I think they are comfortable and cotton keeps one more cooler. hugs sheila

www.ohkayteagirl2.blogspot.com
http;//www.sheilascreativetouches.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2009 :  11:16:21 AM  Show Profile
I wear skirts and tops all the time. My wardrobe is increased because I can mix and match. In the winter, I layer petticoats and skirts and wear long john's and knee high moccasins. Keeps me real warm and alot less confining than pants. Sometimes, I wear a dress with a skirt over it. The bottom of the dress acts like a slip. This post probably makes me sound like I look like a bag lady....I really don't...I think.
Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2009 :  06:05:01 AM  Show Profile
I used to wear nothing but vintage dresses - mostly 40's, I love them and would still wear them all the time but the ones I have don't fit me right now - as soon as I start getting the garden workout again. I can't wear them to work anymore, they just get trashed
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Heirloom Mavens Badge Badger
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2009 :  07:21:39 AM  Show Profile
This past summer I rediscovered skorts! I love them! I'm short and "ample" :-) but I like the look of a dress. I have two cotton shifts that I have almost worn out w/so many washings...and I'm chasing boys around. I love the fact that I can go to the playground and then to the store w/out feeling totally tomboy. I am also a huge fan of clamdiggers. Those wonderful elastic waist pants that end just above my ankles. I went through a totally dress-only phase a few years back. Then I switched over to pants especially in winter.
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  3:18:46 PM  Show Profile
Now this one site has expensive dresses but you can find them on Ebay...April Cornell. Her dresses are beautiful and I would love to wear those all the time! I like to wear skirts a lot in the summer but since I am nursing I can't really wear dresses much.
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  3:52:02 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
See...the problem is my nether regions gets so hot and sweaty, even with cotton underpants and powder. Skirts and dresses let me...um...vent??? : O I feel much cleaner at the end of the day. Sorry it that is TMI. I especially like them with my cowgirl boots and straw cowgirl hat!! YEE HAW!!!!

Heather

Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2009 :  5:34:21 PM  Show Profile
I got hooked on skirts 30 years ago. I kept getting yeast infections and my doctor then told me to try wearing skirts for a while without undies....Having never even contemplated that my "family jewel" couldn't breathe, I decided to give it a try and it stuck and I've never had a yeast infection since....now how did I get off the subject of wardrobes?

Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2009 :  6:36:24 PM  Show Profile
Debbie-
In your case I would have been afraid of a strong wind blowing my skirt up! But the tight pants and non-cotton panties that are so common today I am sure contribute to the majority of yeast infections.
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2009 :  6:45:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
lol. You realize those Scots go comando under their kilts, so I guess you gals can too, lol

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2009 :  8:57:09 PM  Show Profile
I wear skirts or jumpers with tees alot in summer time. (with an apron of course) It gets hot here too. I am just not a person who wears shorts...

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2009 :  9:07:56 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I have learned to wear cotton panties and there are some cute one's out there. When I was in the military, the pants we wore were either polyster/blend or a very heavy denim. I had more yeast infections from not getting enough air down there. SO, whenever I could, I would wear skirts or a dress. I do have to be careful because Texas gets some strong wind some days. : O

I just feel so much more comfortable and clean and not having to deal with being uncomfortable is so destressing for me.

Heather

Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2009 :  11:19:05 PM  Show Profile
YES to the cotton panties here too. The blends are yuckie, lol.

And I tend to start wearing more skirts too, esp in the summer. I love the long flowing ones, got a couple cute ones in Thailand and here on sale so am gonna wear those again, yippee. WHERE IS THE SUMMER!!!!!

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  06:43:54 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
another pantie hater here!

but that's not why i dropped into this thread. this morning i was reading a fiber arts magazine and came across an article about a woman who is spending a year replacing her entire wardrobe with self made creations. she sounded like our kind of girl, so i thought i'd pass along her blog. www.simplewardrobe.blogspot.com

What we write today slipped into our souls some other day when we were alone and doing nothing.
-Brenda Ueland

http://quilandneedle.blogspot.com/

http://musingandmuttering.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  06:54:55 AM  Show Profile
I'd like to try wearing more skirts and dresses. I tend to be clumsy and get caught with my panties showing, but I bet practice would improve my ladylike skills.

Here's a weird issue I can't seem to get around though. I hate wearing shoes without socks, but I feel like such a dork wearing socks with my ballet flats or whatever and a skirt. What do you wear on your feet when you're wearing a skirt?
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  07:45:53 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I am flip flop gal or cowgirl boots. I do have some cute ballet flats also, for dressier days.

Heather

Go to Top of Page

Forrester Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

703 Posts

Ann
Belmont MI
USA
703 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  08:06:27 AM  Show Profile
Hey there,

Skirts in the summer rule in our house - dressed up or down - Love your idea for the dresses though too Heather.

Ann
Forrester Farm
www.forresterfarm.com
www.forresterfarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  08:57:55 AM  Show Profile
I had a jean skirt that I wore so much over the last few summers that it fell apart. I plan to get a couple of skirts & simple cotton dresses for the summer to wear at home too.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  09:10:37 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Here is one dress I got:

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=15292&pid=633407&scid=633407012

I got it on sale at the local store for $19. I have a pink tank top to go underneath, if I want. Can't wait to wear it!!

Heather

Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  09:54:26 AM  Show Profile
I am a shorts and tank top girl in the summer. I still mow grass in my bathing suit. (I'm 69). however when I come in and get my shower, I love putting on my "housedress". One piece, no waist, pull over the head. And No panties or bra.

In the winter, I wear sweats and jeans. T-shirts under long sleeve shirt.

I don't own a REAL dress.
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  08:17:52 AM  Show Profile
Whenever I find an article of clothing I love to wear, I wait until it wears out then take it apart and make another one. I have made clothes for myself for 37 years. It guarantees that no one will show up at a party wearing the same thing as you do! lol...

Debbie

Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  10:05:26 AM  Show Profile
Corrine, I went to the blog you mentioned about the woman making her own clothes....all I can say is, except for the knitted items, her wardrobe is the blandest looking mish-mash I've ever seen. I was totally hoping for some homemade clothing "inspiration"...but left her blog feeling like I was doing quite well coming up with my own wardrobe of homemades.....I made a full length skirt out of men's neckties that is very pretty and had enough tie scraps left over to make a matching vest.....

Debbie

Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  10:14:38 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
Sorry to disapoint you, Debbie. It is her knitting that caught my attention and I just love the spirit of her project. Not everybody is as flamoyant as some of us country girls! I know my mama would rather stay home than wear one of my "loud" get ups. BTW...I would love to see some pics of your skirt and vest, that sounds like an amazing outfit to me!

What we write today slipped into our souls some other day when we were alone and doing nothing.
-Brenda Ueland

http://quilandneedle.blogspot.com/

http://musingandmuttering.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2009 :  09:11:34 AM  Show Profile
If I could figure out how to take a picture of it and then transfer that picture to this post, I'd do that Corrine...but alas, I am a dunce when it comes to technology. I'm doing a demonstration at a quilter's day out at the end of March about taking ties apart and making other things out of them. My dad died last May and I got all 75 of his ties. I'm going to make another item of clothing from them...I think a jumper this time...he had excellent color sense, so it will be real pretty.....it only takes 1 tie for every two inches of your waistline.
Debbie
P.S. Hope you're having a good day today Corrine!

Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2009 :  09:22:53 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
necktie skirt! wow...I wanna see it
There is a tutorial on posting pics. I use Photobucket.com the download a pic I have saved in my computer...
it's good to learn how to post pics...do you have a cell phone that takes pics or a digital camera?

Linda in Scranton, PA
farmgirl #71
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  10:48:59 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by catscharm74

See...the problem is my nether regions gets so hot and sweaty, even with cotton underpants and powder. Skirts and dresses let me...um...vent??? : O I feel much cleaner at the end of the day. Sorry it that is TMI. I especially like them with my cowgirl boots and straw cowgirl hat!! YEE HAW!!!!

Heather

I can relate on that hon. It is very hot and humid here in
Minne-snow-ta in the summer. (98 degrees with 90% humidity-sauna!!)

I usually wear capris in the summer. I don't like my legs so, shorts are only worn at the cabin where everyone could care less what I look like, including me. I won't wear them if we run to town for something.

If I do wear a skirt, it is a very long cotton one to allow a little airflow and circulation. I usually wear slide/mule/cloggy style sandals. Flip flops don't like me.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland

Edited by - kissmekate on Feb 28 2009 10:51:41 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Wardrobe Change Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page