Author **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Another Farmgirl Added Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

28 Posts

Kimberely
MaryJanesFarm Idaho
28 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2004 :  07:37:16 AM  Show Profile
Hi ya'll! I am actually an employee at MaryJanesFarm, and have just now signed on! Can't believe it's taken me so long (shame on me). Better late than never however! Anyway.... I'm Kimberely, or Kim, for short - much easier typing. I came to work for MaryJane in April of this year and started out doing her research and development of new products, and being in charge of all the shows, like the Farm Chicks shows & of course our own MarketDay. I know some of you have heard about that extravaganza - a great day! MaryJane has also asked me to help with the magazine in trying to get it out there to more people so that we can help bring the idea and reality to so many other "Farmgirls/boys at heart" So, I'm sure I will be asking for your assistance in my new endeavors and asking your advice with my new ideas - I'll need it!
I moved to Idaho almost three years ago from Texas (which I do miss terribly!). You may have read that already in the magazine (Meet Our Crew section - Kim Hillestad). But for those of you who haven't, I moved here very reluctantly, thinking Idaho was all flat and brown and nothin' but potatoes, I found out how wrong I was! I live with my husband on the land that his great grandfather homesteaded in the 1800's. I live about 30 minutes north of MJ's farm. I don't actually have a farm, with animals and such, but we call it our little farm. We did put in a nice garden this year, and of course, I have to have my flower beds and all the antiques I find, out in the garden, yard and house.
Well, I have rambled on and on so much this morning, that I'd better get off of here and go get ready for work! Or should I say get ready to go have some fun and get paid for it! That's more like it!
I'll be chattin' as often as I can and I'll be back to share some ideas and to get ya'll's feedback! I'm looking forward to being a part of ya'll's world! Talk to you soon, Kim

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2004 :  08:30:48 AM  Show Profile
Hi everyone! I'm new today as well but am so excited to have found this whole site! It's nice to know there are people out there still interested in the same things I am! I get alot of good natured teasing
from family and friends about wanting to live "Little House on the Prarie". In reality, I am a modern, 44 year old wife and mother living in a little cottage in the suburbs of "the garden state". I quilt, sew, embroider, can, garden and a bunch of other stuff. I am
looking forward to sharing info and chatting with all of you!
bramble
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2004 :  09:28:06 AM  Show Profile
Welcome to the chat room Kimberly, I bet your great granddaddy knew my husbands great granddaddy! My husband grew up in Rosalia Washington but his great granddaddy had about 2000 acres that he homesteaded near moscow. Only part of the land is still in the family owned by one of his uncles Elwood Widman. Not sure what is happening to the part that went to Elwoods brother Marvin. They are both very old now and my husbands Father is dead now but we still have lots of extended family in that area. I'll have to look on a map, how far is Viola from Moscow or Pullman? My husband spent many summer days at the swimming pool in Oaksdale because there was not a pool at that time in Rosalia.
Welcome to you too Bramble. You'll fit right in with your little house on the prairie! Looking forward to some of your personal country input,advise,stories.
Eileen

songbird
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

28 Posts

Kimberely
MaryJanesFarm Idaho
28 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2004 :  10:27:29 AM  Show Profile
Eileen, Thanks for the welcome! Viola is about 10 miles from Moscow north on Hwy. 95 and we live about 2.5 miles from Viola out in the "boonies". It was actually my husband's great grandaddy who homesteaded the land. My husband's family probably knew your great grandaddy, they've lived there forever! I'll ask them this weekend when I see my in-laws. Small world, huh?
Welcome to you also Bramble! Two newbies today! Yippee!!!
Talk to ya'll soon!!
Kim
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2004 :  4:05:23 PM  Show Profile
Welcome, Kimberely and Bramble!
I'm a Kimberly too, though I also go by Kim. I'm so envious that you are working at MJ's. I think it would be a FUN job!

Bramble, I live in the country but not on a farm. Though our subdivision is surrounded by beautiful midwest farmland. It's so peaceful and quiet. I love it!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

28 Posts

Kimberely
MaryJanesFarm Idaho
28 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2004 :  4:31:45 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Kim for the welcome! And yes, MaryJanesFarm is a great and fun place to work. Just the way you imagine MaryJane from her magazine, is the way she is - sweet, honest, fun & a joy to be around. All the farmcrew out here is wonderful, so this is definitely a great place to work!
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2004 :  4:46:20 PM  Show Profile
I'm hoping to save my pennies and come out next summer/fall and do the bed & breakfast. I've never been to Idaho and I think visiting the farm would be great.

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2004 :  10:17:35 PM  Show Profile
Wlcome Kimberley and Bramble!!! How fun to have two new kindred spririts here!! You both sound just great.
And..boy Kim would I love your job!!

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2004 :  12:06:00 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Kim and Bramble. Another couple of interesting people to contribute to our great sharing of thoughts, hobbies, and lives!

To live on land that was homesteaded by family and to work at a dream job....how fortunate you are, Kim. Texas is a hard act to follow, I have heard, but I think you are in a great place. Each person who has posted on this board that works at MJF seems so real, thoughtful and intelligent.

Glad you take the time to chat with us, and I look forward to hearing about your land, Kim, and your home on the prairie in the garden state, Bramble.

when I was in 4th grade, our teacher read to us each afternoon from Laura Ingall's books. They have stayed with me ever since, and I remember how I could just put myself into that time and place, even at 9 years old. The sod house intrigued me, and the family life. So, if your home has that kind of aura, Bramble, you are doing great.

jpbluesky

Love those big blue skies and wide open spaces.
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2004 :  2:33:04 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kimberly,
Rodneys Great Grand fathers name was Fred Widman. He emigrated in 1869. His farm was actually in Whitman county 5 miles south of Rosalia on a place called Crab creek. From my atlas it looks like it would be somewhere between Rosalia and Oaksdale. We have a copy of a newspaper interview published in Spokane during the depression where Great grandpa brags about having had 9 childrren and at the time of the interview 21 grandchildren abd 2 great grand children. He was proud to have added such a wealth of new life to the population of the county. He was 89 when he died and several of his children lived to be over 100 years old. I have a wonderful photo of Rodneys great Auntie Nettie on her 100th birthday. She regaled all of her extended family that day with the reciting of a couple of epic poems that she had committed to memory in school as a girl. It was so amazing!
You are so fortunate to be there on your family land. I often wish we were closer.
Eileen

songbird
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

28 Posts

Kimberely
MaryJanesFarm Idaho
28 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2004 :  10:41:41 AM  Show Profile
Kim - how wonderful it would be if you were able to come out here and stay in the B&B. If you came in July, you could celebrate our MarketDay with us!
Thanks Aunt Jenny & Jeannie for the welcome. I was so hoping to get online and check things out this weekend, but... we had a birthday party for two of my girls, a movie night with the girls (we have three)and my husband (I only have one ) We watched 'Home on the Range' - a cute movie, and of course, Sunday afternoon, as I was folding clothes and listening to the birds chirp out my laundry room window, I realized that was all I was hearing ... no children. Well, that of course only meant one thing! They were up to something! Sure enough, as I opened the front door and walked out onto our deck, I heard the oldest say "I heard the front door open". So of course, I quietly snuck around to where I could get a good look from the deck, and lo and behold, all I saw was three little mud statues! They had been digging in the dirt, which of course, I encourage, BUT, they decided to add water to their dirt pile, and... well, I'll just say it was way beyond mud pies! Anyway... that's a taste of my weekend. So, computer time was just not an option. And of course, Eileen, I did see my in-laws, but I certainly didn't even think of asking any questions, but I will! I want to know if they know of your Great Grand Father - I think that would be so cool! And here it is Monday, and I'd better get back to "work". I hate to, because I am just loving this chatting thing and hearing from all the kindred spirits here on this site! I'll talk to ya'll soon!
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2004 :  12:44:55 PM  Show Profile
Kimberely - I definitely think part of your job description should be the monitoring of this site for new ideas and customer relations! That sounds good, don't you think?

jpbluesky

Love those big blue skies and wide open spaces.
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2004 :  06:11:05 AM  Show Profile
Hi again and thanks for the warm welcome everyone! Welcome from me to all the newbies too! It will be fun finding out about everyone
and hopefully learn some great info along the way! My grandparents came to NJ and farmed in Belle Meade, NJ until about 1927 and then moved to Hopewell (yes! MJF mentioned some organic farmgirls there recently!) At that point he became a builder but a good steward of the land (he always left green buffers around his sites long before anyone determined that was a conservation measure! He had been a farmer for 30 years so he knew about wind breaks and soil erosion
and it was economically smart as well! My gram had a cake and pie stand when they were on the farm because she loved people! She had seven children, you would have thought she craved some peace! When they moved to "town" she was in her glory because they were near church and people and now she could have "company" constantly. Iwas once in an antique store in town and the owner turned to me and said
"You know ... I think your grandparents fed just about everybody in this town at some time or another. They never saw the differences in people just their need". How cool is that?! These are people I was fortunate to know well into their eighties and am all the better for it! Bramble
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

28 Posts

Kimberely
MaryJanesFarm Idaho
28 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2004 :  10:06:36 AM  Show Profile
Jeannie, what a great idea! I'll definitely have to run that new job description by MJ - How fun would that be! But on a serious note, I will be asking for feedback and ideas from ya'll. As a matter of fact, I have an idea about our magazine ... I'll probably post this in another topic as well, but for now, here goes. We would like to make our magazine available for rural organizations, be it women's groups, school organizations, 4-H, FFA, FHA, and any other organization that is needing to raise money. Here's how it would work - The organization would order magazines from us, with 30 days to pay, no upfront costs, and then the organization would sell our magazine at the cover price. They could sell single copies and subscriptions, whatever the customer wanted. The organization would keep 50% off all sales, and 50% would come back to the farm. Everyone I've ever talked to that has picked up the magazine, just loves it. Most of them buy extras and give away as gifts. So, we thought that in helping rural women, and rural organizations we could offer this deal so that the organizations could raise their needed money. What do you think? Please, we are open for ideas, suggestions, tips, and anything you would like to say on the subject. I look at it like this - when our girls bring home another pamphlet with chocolate, or wrapping paper (three times the normal cost), or popcorn, etc... people always buy to help support the cause, but do we really need all the chocolate or high priced wrapping paper?? This way, people get a great "product" and their organization will make money! We had a gentleman actually ask if he could do this in one of our local rural towns, and we of course said yes, and the organization raised money and sold all the magazines. So, actually, the idea for this fundraising opportunity came from him! Anyway... let me know your thoughts and ideas or if you're in an organization that you would like to try this! Thanks so much for being here! Ta ta for now, Kimberely
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Another Farmgirl Added Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page