Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Laundry Soap Next Topic  

shover1970
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Tracy
Kirklin IN
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  07:33:46 AM  Show Profile  Send shover1970 a Yahoo! Message
I am so happy now, I made my first batch of laundry soap. I absolutely love it, it makes my clothes so soft and clean. I am on my way to being self sufficient. Whooo Hoooo.

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  08:29:28 AM  Show Profile
Good for you Tracy! It is very satisfying to make your own cleaning products and pretty much anything else for that matter!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

shover1970
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Tracy
Kirklin IN
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2009 :  05:40:22 AM  Show Profile  Send shover1970 a Yahoo! Message
It does feel good and I am so proud of myself, many of my friends just looked at me like I was crazy, when I told them that I maded my own laudry soap, but I will have the last laugh all the way to the bank, in the money I will be saving. I enjoy doing it and plus I like saving money seeing how I was laid off from work about a month ago. I am making my own soft scrub right now. Whooo Hooo.
Go to Top of Page

antoinette
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Toni
East Freedom PA
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2009 :  3:37:32 PM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone making homemade laundry soap. What soap are we to use fe;s napa or castille? I have been reading through the threads and most say castille but I know I read somewhere about fels, help which is it?
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2009 :  4:29:56 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Toni- You can use either one! Castille soap is more natural, but Fels works wonders on stains and was designed as a laundry soap.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2009 :  4:35:21 PM  Show Profile
Alee, I took your suggestion and used my food processor to grate the soap - HOW EASY!! I made about 4 months worth of laundry powder in less than 5 minutes...Thank YOu!
Go to Top of Page

antoinette
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Toni
East Freedom PA
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2009 :  5:12:50 PM  Show Profile
Hi Alee,
Thanks for the answer, I have another question, some of the ladies said to use homemade lye soap is that an option? Also I have homemade bath soap made from aloe vera, olive oil, palm oil and coconut oil, can I grate these up and use or not? Also if lye is viable option are there any ladies out there that make it and can I get some from you.
Go to Top of Page

tiffany01
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Tiffany
Indiana
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2009 :  06:23:44 AM  Show Profile
Food processor to grate the soap!! Brilliant!!!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2009 :  07:35:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Toni- Yes! Homemade soap is perfect! I use my own soap ALL the time! It words fabulously. And any homemade soap will work though I would stay away from any that have heavy loads of colorant in them as I would worry that might transfer to the clothes.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

antoinette
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Toni
East Freedom PA
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2009 :  8:20:52 PM  Show Profile
Hi to all the laundry soap makers,
Is the soap amount equal to the washing soada, and borax? You girls are all great with your answers, and a specail thanks to Alee! Toni
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  11:57:15 AM  Show Profile
Good for you! Nothing like making your own laundry detergent! Just something special about it!!!

Hugs,
Maryjane Lee

Farmgirl #44
Sisters on the Fly #595

http://thebeehivecottage.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  1:11:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Toni- No I use about 2 cups when I use the whole box of borax and washing soda. Just think of one bar as one unit and the boxes of borax etc as one unit. So you are actually using around 2 units of soap and one unit each of borax, washing soda and baking soda.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

MandyC
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Mandy
New York
18 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  3:44:04 PM  Show Profile
Alee--I don't mean to be a dunce, but I just wanted to double check. I have already mixed up some laundry soap but haven't used it yet, as I still have some conventional stuff to use up. I did the Boraxo soap not grated bar soap, and I was also under the impression that it was equal parts of borax, washing soda, and soap, so I did a cup of each. In reality, should I do i.e. 1 cup washing soda, 1 cup borax, and 2 cups boraxo? I just wanted to make sure the ratios for the already powdered boraxo is the same. Thanks :)
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  05:57:37 AM  Show Profile
Mandy, Just my two cents, I've been making it since last summer using equal parts and it works great.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  06:17:19 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Mandy- The way you mixed it up is totally fine! I use a bit less soap in my mix so I dump a whole box of borax, a whole box of washing soda, a 2 lb box of baking soda and 2 canisters of the boraxo hand soap into a big tub and mix it up really well. That gives me about 4-6 months of laundry soap with as much laundry as I use.

So your soap mix is great! And I bet you will love how your clothes feel!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

sunflowercritters
True Blue Farmgirl

1102 Posts

Debra
Springfield Maine
USA
1102 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  11:27:58 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies I'm fairly new farmgirl sister just was wondering what is your receipt for homemade laundry soap? My neighbor gave me her receipt and just was wondering if it is the same I think she told me from her receipt it priced out a penny a load , I will have to check on that to make sure. Your right you feel so good about yourself when you can make things yourself and save money at the same time.
farmgirl sister #462

Worry ends Where Faith in God begins.
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  4:05:22 PM  Show Profile
I used 2-4 lbs box of baking soda,1-4 lbs box of washing soda,1-6 lbs box of borax and grated 1&1/2 bars of Fels Naptha soap and I love it. I will never buy laundry soap again. I also put some on my sponge and cleaned the tub with it and wiped down my splattered on coffee pot and can opener with it. and it's so much nicer to my hands. It would probley last me 6 months if I did'nt give it away to friends.

Have a nice day.
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Laundry Soap Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page