Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Country Home subscription problems--UPDATE
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Country Home subscription problems--UPDATE Next Topic  

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  09:17:08 AM  Show Profile
I renewed my Country Home mag subscription in December, as well as purchased a gift subscription for my mother, and neither of us have seen an issue...and what's weird (or frustrating, really) is that the only way to contact them is via email. They don't have an 800 customer service number. I've sent 4 emails and never gotten so much a courtesy response.

Frustrating because I gave my mother a gift card detailing the mag and when she'd be receiving it, and I chose this magazine over Country Living because of the onslaught of ads. I feel gipped.

Anyone else have any problems getting their subscription to this magazine? I show that my card was charged 12/10.

Edited by - FebruaryViolet on Feb 12 2009 08:04:03 AM

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  09:40:14 AM  Show Profile
I read something the other day that their publishing company ( I believe the name was Meredith) was not going to be making the magazine anymore, but I think it said that the March issue was the last one...I think that the same company publishes Better Homes and Gardens, too, but that magazine is still around. I really liked Country Home, too.

I don't really know what you should do about it, but I agree that I would be very frustrated. Good luck getting it straightened out!
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  09:42:47 AM  Show Profile
That was my suspicion, Toni...thanks for that info. The least they could do would be to have a "canned" email that states as much.

Shoot. I really loved the magazine--I used to love Country Living, but it just got too "ady" and lacked the substance it once had.
Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  09:44:49 AM  Show Profile
Here is a link to that company's page.

http://www.meredith.com/home.html

There should be contact information there that may be helpful. I tried to click on the link to subscribe to Country Home and it said that the product was no longer available. They may just try to send you a different magazine.
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  09:46:20 AM  Show Profile
I have tried to contact them for a couple of month now and never got a proper answer but the "mechanic" one only.
It is a good magazine, so sad they would accept subscriptions when they know they won't be around any longer.
Corinne

Sister # 101
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  10:10:05 AM  Show Profile
Oh, that sucks! I really like Country Home. I've actually learned a lot about photography from them, dorky as it sounds. And I like how they reuse the same contributors in different ways. Like for instance, they featured the home of a textile designer. And then the same woman has contributed articles on textiles in other issues. It was almost like a network of design professionals. If they really are going out of business, I'll miss them.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  08:18:34 AM  Show Profile
Alrightee then...this has been a long road, for sure. I have sent many emails, the last being to the publisher (who, incidentally, never responded), and I finally called their home office in Iowa.

I was given a customer service number specifically for Country Home magazine and thought I'd share with all of you, just in case, and especially for Corinne. (800) 374-9431. The customer service representative was nice, and efficient, and very apologetic--she said she will pass along my experience with the internet department, because she was fairly upset by that.

For those of us who paid or have subscriptions, they are offering a refund, or a choice of 4 different mags: More, Better Homes & Gardens, Ladies Home Journal and I (think) Family Circle. I chose More, since my renewal was only $5.00. I did cancel my mom's gift subscription, and will go back to Country Living for her.
Go to Top of Page

urban farm girl
True Blue Farmgirl

80 Posts

Melissa
Posen IL
USA
80 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  09:01:11 AM  Show Profile
Ok this is first I heard of it. I subscribe to the mag. Feb. issue featured plants in glass containers and thats when I made up a few terrariums for the house using unusual containers. I had to cut dwon on my magazine subscriptions and chose them over Country living. Hmmm. what a shame. Thanks for the info girls. I guess if I need to know whats going on I need to check with the farm girls. I love it!!! You all are great!!
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  09:28:24 AM  Show Profile
I got a postcard saying that Cottage Living (another of my faves) is no longer going to be published, and they offered to finish out my subscription with Southern Living, which I already get! I called to ask for a refund instead, but so far nothing in the mail.....

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  09:32:13 AM  Show Profile
Thanks February Violet, that is nice of you to have been through such trouble to get an answer. I will miss the magazine though as many of you.
Corinne

Sister # 101
Go to Top of Page

homergirl1957
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

cathy
tieton washington
111 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  10:22:38 AM  Show Profile
right around christmas time the country home people sent me a notice that they would no longer be , and that they would apply whatever i had left of my subscription to sunset magazine which i get. so thats what happened to me.

in the midst of difficulty lies opportunity.-a. einstein
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  10:36:13 AM  Show Profile
Bummer. The customer service rep told me that there were letters sent, but neither I nor my mom received one...but, at least there is some resolve. I didn't really want MORE mag, but I also didn't want to have to worry about tracking a refund.

Double bummer about Cottage Living, too, Jeannie...that was another favorite. I had a subscription for a time, but gave it up for Country Home. What a wicked web we spin!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2009 :  05:22:52 AM  Show Profile
After this post appeared, I checked around online to find out what happened to Country Home. I found that their circulation had held steady at over a million subscribers, but the downturn in the economy in 2008 caused them to lose a lot of advertisers. It was the loss of advertising dollars that made Meredith Publishing decide to shut down the magazine. Isn't that sad? The advertisers matter more than the editorial content or the readers.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2009 :  05:55:06 AM  Show Profile
It is sad...and I guess, should be somewhat obvious. What I actually loved about the magazine, was that it WASN'T chock full of ads on each page--the articles were lengthy, and the ads were largely put in one section, in the back of the publication. Organized and, I felt that I was actually getting a value for my subscription.

The very reason I stopped taking Country Living was because every other page or even the half of every page was sold for advertising. Sometimes, you'd read something, thinking it was an article and then realize they were touting a product.

Bummer, I say!
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2009 :  06:39:03 AM  Show Profile
I know advertisers are important, but you would think that the publisher might be willing to wait a little while until the economy rebounds. After all, a million odd subscribers is a pretty big base to lose...seems so hasty. But that's big business for you, I guess.
Go to Top of Page

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2009 :  06:47:32 AM  Show Profile
I subscribed to both Cottage Living and Country Home, but this is the first I've heard of the Country Home demise. I rarely watch TV so live for my mags in the mail for entertaiment, and have been giving gift subs for both of them too. I have had problems w/CH customer service for years, even a simple address change was a nightmare because of the email-only situation.

I also got a notice last week that Mary Engelbright's Home Companion mag has ceased publication too - now 3 of my subscriptions are moot. The replacements they offered (Simple Living, BHG) are poor substitutes.

Farmgirl Sister #204
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2009 :  12:30:29 PM  Show Profile
I wondered what the deal was, I have subscribed to Country Home for years. I'm really going to miss it. I agree Country Living seems like it has more ads than regular content...Years ago there was a wonderful magazine called Handmade. It died after a year or two. And it was really a gem...

karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Country Home subscription problems--UPDATE Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page