Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2009 :  07:46:16 AM  Show Profile
I probably should have ask this before I put the heart in the pot. #1 son is home from CA and he gives me a chance to use up stuff that we don't usually eat. So, yesterday I thawed out a heart and put it in a pot this a.m. and added some garlic, onion, bay leaf and some spices. Added a little water and now is simmering on the stove. Don't have a clue how long to cook it or how to serve it. Any suggestions?

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2009 :  08:40:47 AM  Show Profile
I make my husband cook it: ) It tasted delicious I just couldn't stand to look at it raw: ) He just cooked it like a beef roast as he said it's just a muscle like any beef roast. It sounds good the way your do it. Enjoy JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2009 :  11:05:02 AM  Show Profile
Here is how I have cooked a beef heart. First trim it, wash it dry it off. Stuff the cavity with stuffing you like, fasten with skewers and string. Roll the heart in seasoned flour and then brown in hot fat. Add a half cup of hot water, cover and bake in a 350 oven for about 2hr. It really is good.
You could also slice it in quarter inch thick pieces, roll in seasoned flour, brown in hot fat, add a small amount of water, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. That is called Chicken Fried Heart. MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

maerwert
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Mary
Mulino OR
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  07:26:09 AM  Show Profile
Hello everyone,
Thanks for the tips for roasting a heart. We have always done the chicken fried way and it is delicious. This is the fun of being a farm girl as the city folks sometimes turn up their noses at the notion of eating heart, liver, pickled pigs feet or, heaven forbid, frog legs! I married a hunter who makes fantastic deer and elk sausage and brings me all kinds of things I never would have tried otherwise. Two nights ago we had pheasant and chukkar. Wonderful!
Good luck to you all!

berrypatchmom
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic How do you cook a heart Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page