Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Finally!!! Next Topic  

Especially For You
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

Tina
Watkinsville GA
541 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2009 :  08:54:06 AM  Show Profile
Finally I have opened up 3 windows in my home and clearing out the closedups. I washed sheets and they are hangin on the close line.
I have painted the trim in my kitchen and I am sitting on the deck having a glass of ice tea. I know this is just a tease and that we will have more cold weather (well cold for us) but for now I am pretending that it is spring. I might even go and get my seed catalogs and start planning my garden.HMMM maybe start planning my chicken house also.

I wish I could have all of you here with me, we could have a real hen party. I hope everyone else is having a tase of spring too.

Tina~Farm Girl #455

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2009 :  09:06:12 AM  Show Profile
It is almost hot here, too, Tina. I washed clothes yesterday and hung them out!! We put up some fence panels in the pasture next doot to put the goats in and hopefully they'll stay in. Also doing outside work today. I almost broke a sweat sweeping off the front porch just now. Geez, I might need to open up a few windows, too.

It's a beautiful day in my neighborhood. I hope everyone is having such a good day, too. I feel like getting the tiller out and planting something. But it's still too muddy out there.

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

Especially For You
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

Tina
Watkinsville GA
541 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2009 :  10:42:03 AM  Show Profile
Kristen,
Do you have chickens? If so what kind on chicken house or how do you keep them up? Also what about snakes in the checken house? Thats one thing that I have a hard time with.

Tina
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2009 :  11:01:14 AM  Show Profile
OMG, I hate snakes so much. But I do believe there is one out there. Now would be a great time to see, but I ain't gonna be the one looking! I have a 3 part chicken-goat-horse house and the middle is open with a piece of plywood on some blocks, so it's open underneath, which was kind of stupid. But had to have somewhere for the animals to get out of the mud when it rains alot. So that's where I think it is. One day I had gone out there to feed everyone and there on the 10' long nester was a snake skin all the way across the top. I just screamed and ran. It took me several weeks to go back out there again. I couldn't even get the eggs, I was so scared.

I sold all my good for nothing hens a few months ago b/c they quit laying. I have always let mine just free-range in the front pasture. It's all fenced in, almost an acre. Of course some fly over the fence and go everywhere. I have never had to shut the door on the house. There is one, and I use it to keep baby goats out. It's kind of a half door now. The goat kids would go in and jump up on the nesters and were starting to flatten them out.

I am going next Friday to the auction and I am getting more chickens. I am tired of having to buy eggs.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2009 :  12:15:14 PM  Show Profile
I can just piture you sitting there drinking your most desereved glass of tea.
It is up to 62 today and sunny.
A bit windy today though
Enjoy your seed catalogs when they come . hugs sheila

www.ohkayteagirl2.blogspot.com
http;//www.sheilascreativetouches.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Especially For You
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

Tina
Watkinsville GA
541 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2009 :  1:48:25 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Sheila, it sure was good, till the people who are building this HUGE HUGE house started poring their pool. I live in a very modset house on 3 acres but all around me are these huge monster houses what a waste!! I love my home it is just perfect but you should see thelooks I get from the uppity neighbors. Just wait till I get my chickens and my goats. They love to ask me about my garden. crazy people!!

Kristin I am with you on the snake thing!!!!!! I think they find me somehow. Let me know how the auction goes Sure wish you were closer I would go with you!

See ya,
Tina~Farm Girl#455

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2009 :  2:12:05 PM  Show Profile
That would be fun. I just told my poor ole rooster, Russell Crowe, he's going to have to wait 6 more days now. I think he's the best rooster. And so handsome, too. But he just looks lost without his girls to protect.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

Especially For You
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

Tina
Watkinsville GA
541 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2009 :  2:20:51 PM  Show Profile
Russell Crowe? What a fantastic name. Do you need a rooster to keep chickens? I have never had them. But their part of my plan of self reliance.

Tina
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2009 :  5:56:38 PM  Show Profile
No, you really don't need a rooster, they will lay without one. But a rooster is like a protector and Russell would always find food and he'd do the little weird noise like he was calling the girls over to eat. And he would just watch them. A real gentleman. I was telling someone else that fertile eggs are better for you and if a hen go broody they will have babies. Not with unfertile eggs.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2009 :  8:17:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
We cleaned around here today too! I wish our windows opened but they are all painted shut! I guess that is one of those projects I should start working on as spring is coming!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kpaints
True Blue Farmgirl

1564 Posts

karen
cheney wa
1564 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2009 :  10:09:21 AM  Show Profile  Send kpaints an AOL message
What planet are you all on? Where I live we still have snow and it is in the 30's. All this talk of spring like weather is killing me! I want some too. Darn. It looks like another knitting day to me. Gray and dismal, off to the couch with a cup of tea for me. :)

Find your joy and live it. http://cheneybaglady.blogspot.com/http://www.kpaints.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2009 :  12:00:05 PM  Show Profile
Karen, you know this will not last long. We're getting cloudier by the minute here. But it is nice while it lasts. We still have a month or so of this mess. Then we can dig in the dirt! Hang in there, your turn will come too.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2009 :  12:25:06 PM  Show Profile
I had my windows opened yesterday and today. A lovely breeze is clearing the air in the house and all of the animals are outside enjoying the weather- even the hens, who are munching on emerging grass and who knows what else! Yep, this is a tease, but I'll take what I can get!!

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2009 :  3:56:03 PM  Show Profile
Nothing better then sheets on the line! Oh and to have chickens. I am hoping with my up and coming move, to be able to have a bit of land and have chickens, it would be a dream come true!

For tomorrow and its needs I do not pray, but keep me, guide me, love me, Lord just for today.
St. Augustine

Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2009 :  4:19:36 PM  Show Profile
Karen, We are on the same planet.. I am sitting here looking out at a storm a expecting Snow I think.. for the next couple days. It is quickly dropping in temp.. Down to 40 and dropping to low 20's tonight.. I just turned on the "girls'heat lamp and tucked them inside their warm cozy studio..now off to do some sewing on 4 quilt blocks I need to have done by March.
I had to turn on the clothes dryer no sunshine to hang them out =side today...have not done it since October I think.. ahhhhhh Hurry up Spring.

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309

Almost daily posts at:
http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/

Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise',
I wash my mouth out with chocolate.
Go to Top of Page

Especially For You
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

Tina
Watkinsville GA
541 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  06:12:07 AM  Show Profile
I guess I spoke to soon. It is suppose to start raining this evening. But we sure do need the rain! I went to the book store yesterday to see If I can find a book on raising chickens. I have a gift card that is burning a hole in my wallet and sice I just made the wallet I better get it out of there.lol But no books for beginners. So I am still serching.

Yesterday in Sunday School our teacher told us he has new baby goats.That is something else I want on our micro farm. But hubby says one thing at a time. I guess he is right. I just want everything now!!! Oh well, i guess I better get busy quilting, I have 4 baby quilts to finish for a friend of mine store.

Talk to y'all later.

Tina ~Farm Girl #455
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Finally!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page