Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 What's the deal w/ mass produced Heirloom seeds?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic What's the deal w/ mass produced Heirloom seeds? Next Topic
Page: of 2

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  8:42:29 PM  Show Profile
I do love that quote, it's SO true! Thanks for re-sharing!

And I am excited by the growing resurgence of popularity when it comes to heirloom varieties... but I don't want to see the whole thing turn into a fad or a marketing ploy by the Bad Seed Corporations - the way you can buy "green" and "organic" everything today at mega stores from mega corporations and so much of it is just hype! Meanwhile the mega-ag lobbyists are working nonstop to weaken our standards! Frustrating! Should I be glad that they're raising awareness by whatever means for whatever motives (i.e. corporate profit, plain and simple)? Or dismayed at turning something so vitally important into a passing phase?

This line of thought is what popped into my head when I saw the seeds marketed as Heirlooms! at the hardware store... uh-oh, is this good or bad? I hope it's good! Gotta find out!

Was very glad to see that Ferry-Morse had signed the Safe Seeds pledge though I don't know how much that actually means to the companies' operations.

I truly hope that our desire for something real, something authentic, in this crazy modern life leads us to make lasting changes.

Ok, off soapbox now!

~~~Amanda in OK~~~

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

Gaelic Gardener
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Kelly
Providence Rhode Island
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2009 :  2:05:40 PM  Show Profile
I just got catalogs from Select Seeds and Terroir Seeds -- anyone buy from them? caveats? compliments? complaints?
I was thinking about Heirloom gardening this morning when I bit into the blueberries I put in my cereal. Ya, they were only $2 a pint -- but they didn't taste like blueberries! They just kind of tasted like water with skin. Bleh. We've bred all the taste out of our produce in favor of fast and cheap results.
slainte,
Kelly
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2009 :  5:33:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
I got my Baker Creek seeds today, woohoo!!!

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2009 :  2:53:38 PM  Show Profile
TS, I got my Botanical Interests seeds today! YEAH!!!

Just can't wait to get started.

Kelly I have no idea about those seed companies but here's the link to the companies that have signed the Safe Seeds Pledge:
http://www.gene-watch.org/programs/safeseed/sourcebook.html

These are the only companies I would buy from.

I like Baker Creek, Renee's Garden, and Botanical Interests. If you have Ferry Morse seeds at your local hardware store I know they're on the list too and they seem to have nice stuff.

Today I think I talked a woman at Lowe's into putting the Burpee seeds DOWN and trying the Ferry Morse.

~~~Amanda in OK~~~

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

Gaelic Gardener
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Kelly
Providence Rhode Island
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2009 :  3:30:14 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Amanda, both are on the list!
--Kelly

“We can complain because rose bushes have thorns,
or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
Abraham Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2009 :  7:11:03 PM  Show Profile
Hello ya'll. I just read all these posts and I have been to the DOE thread a little looking it over from time to time. But there is so much going on over there, I'm afraid I would be so far behind and not know where to start.

I have close to an acre of gardens. I sell at our local farmer's market and to several people at church. I would love to have all heirloom but I have a lot to plant. I would have to spend a fortune to buy all hairloom seeds and then charge way more than folks around here could afford or would pay. They'd think I was crazy even after explaining why.

So what do people like me do? Do we just start out small and start saving seed til we don't have to buy seeds anymore? And right now with my husband on sick leave for who knows how much longer, things are really tight right now. I know we should have prepared for such a time as this, but didn't. I really don't know how I'll get all the things I need right now anyway. I know it will happen and I do have some seeds from last year.

So I have just been wondering about all this heirloom seed business. I did order the Baker Creek catalog and I do order from Johnney's, too. Mostly organic. I don't use any chemicals at all. Only my own animal's manure and use soapy water to spray bugs. Or pick them off.

But I love gardening and all things about it. I would love to eventually be all heirloom one day. I guess it just takes awhile.

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Feb 15 2009 7:13:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  06:03:33 AM  Show Profile
Hey Kristin, I don't think you'd be behind if you came over to the DOE....I kinda felt like I would, too, so I just "lurked" around over there for a few weeks reading everything, and then my passion for the actual cause and purpose for the heirloom mavens was sooooo exactly true to my passion,(if that makes sense) that I couldn't keep away any longer!! so I just jumped right in and introduced myself, and the rest is history!! I think we are all still learning, and will continue to learn about Heirlooms, seed saving and organics, but it sooooo helps to do it in a group like the mavens, because Everyone contributes pieces of info! that is what is so cool about it.....as far as your situation goes, I can totally understand! Farmgirls will always be here to help you out....go on over and introduce yourself!!! I have some heirloom branywine tomatoe seeds I can send to you, and some heirloom moon and stars watermelon seeds i can send if you are interested in them!!! Just let me know, and like i said....come on over to the DOE!!! we'd love to have you!!! talk to you soon! Kelley
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  07:42:57 AM  Show Profile
Kristin - Kelley is absolutely right. We love new members, that's what is all about, changing the world one farmgirl or maven at a time. I know it is super intimidating because we are up to something like 299 pages right now but in the MJ's Mavens henhouse there is a beginners guide that gives you the lowdown. We post there but also on the DOE thread because not all the mavens are MJF sisters - we know that the $20 is hard sometimes and don't want people to be excluded. So, the Henhouse is a good source for info but if you want to join the conversation please jump in at the DOE.
We would love to have you and if you have any questions feel free to e-mail.
Oh - and none of us are experts - we are learning together as we go and lending each other moral support as we do!!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Heirloom Mavens Badge Badger
Go to Top of Page

seattlefarmer
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

marcella
seattle wa
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  10:00:01 AM  Show Profile
i just bought "The World According to Monsanto" on ebay for $2.90, free shipping. it's on You Tube as well, links:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=140300341005&Category=617&_trksid=p3907.m29&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swVjzIVqRUA

let's do what we can to stop these guys from cornering the market on seeds!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2009 :  07:17:09 AM  Show Profile
Amy Grace, I did just join the HM but now I'm confused again. The $20 ya'll talk about, is that on top of the MJ farmgirl membership? I did already pay that. And now am I a member of the henhouse? I am slow, I know. But will eventually catch on to all this.

Thanks for your help. Kris

Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2009 :  12:13:54 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Hi, Kristin, and welcome to the mavens! The $20 is the basic sisterhood membership fee. There's no additional fee for the mavens. We throw that in because we don't want anyone to be left out because they can't afford the basic membership fee. We have a henhouse but that's part of who we are - not all of who we are. It just helps us be more organized.

Marcella, I'll have to see if I can get a hardcopy of "The World According to Monsanto." We have dial-up here so YouTube isn't an option. I'm always anxious to get my hands on any ammunition I can use to topple that giant. It makes me nauseous that the HQ is practically in my backyard.

God bless -
Karen ~ Chickherder & KMW (Keeper of Maven Words)
Farmgirl Sister #311

"To own a little bit of ground, to scratch it with a hoe, to plant seeds and watch the renewal of life - this is the commonest delight of the race, the most satisfactory thing a man can do." Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2009 :  4:43:17 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Karen. I just got my Johnney's Seed catalog and I saw that the beets I always order are an heirloom variety! Yeah! I did not ever notice that before all this. They are Bull's Blood beets. They are so good and a deep dark red. I love them and sold alot at the market the past few years. So I had some heirloom and didn't even know it.

I will look through it some more tomorrow.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2009 :  7:57:10 PM  Show Profile
Kris there's somebody you're supposed to email to ask them to add you to the Mavens henhouse so that you can post there and not just read. Though in my limited experience it seems like we spend more time on the DOE thread. Karen do you have the scoop on that?

I'm thinking you can probably save a TON of seeds from the heirlooms you do have, and if you start hanging out with the seed swapping addicts you'll end up with even more. I wasn't planning on swapping anything till next year (since this is my first year growing from seed) and here I've already got three swaps going.

It's not a habit. I can quit any time I want to. *twitch* *twitch*

~~~Amanda in OK~~~

Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  06:45:25 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Hey, Amanda ~

You are on target. The henhouse is set up to help keep us organized. Anyone can post out there and we all check in pretty frequently. But the DOE is our lifeline. We talk seeds, gardening, fabrics, life issues, you name it. It being the start of gardening season and all, the talk is turning to garden-related topics quite a bit again and the activity level has ramped back up. During the holidays things slowed down as other parts of our lives took priority.

The newsletter, The Mavens Haven, was started about a month after the DOE thread was started for the purpose of keeping everyone up to date. As much as we'd all love to be hanging around on the connection all day, that just isn't realistic. For those who can only check in every few days or once a week, keeping up on the DOE was hard (to say the least). So when time is limited, a quick read of the newsletter and check of the recent posts in the henhouse covers the bases pretty well.

Having said all that (again, brevity is not my strong suit), the DOE is where friendships are formed and hearts are tied together. And it's fun!

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311

"To own a little bit of ground, to scratch it with a hoe, to plant seeds and watch the renewal of life - this is the commonest delight of the race, the most satisfactory thing a man can do." Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  08:36:49 AM  Show Profile
Karen is sooooo right about the DOE!!! Karen, you are just SOOOOOOO good with words....Seems like I used to be, but now that 99 percent of my time spent with words is with a 2 YO and A 3 YO, I'm not to UP on adult words like I used to be....LOL!!!
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  10:28:31 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
**blushing**

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Garden Gate: Previous Topic What's the deal w/ mass produced Heirloom seeds? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page