Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 What's the deal w/ mass produced Heirloom seeds?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic What's the deal w/ mass produced Heirloom seeds? Next Topic
Page: of 2

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  2:06:54 PM  Show Profile
I saw a whole rack of "Heirloom" variety seed packets for sale at the hardware store.

I really want to support saving heirloom varieties of vegetables and am very anti-Frankenfood/GMO.

Are these "Heirlooms" worth purchasing? Are they the same as the open-pollinated stuff you can buy online from Baker Creek and Seed Savers' Exchange?

My gut tells me it's no different than buying from Burpee, but the lure of low prices and instant gratification is great...

~~~Amanda in OK~~~

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. ~Will Rogers

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  2:22:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Do you remember what Company they are from? I do not believe there is anything regulating the "Heirloom" claim right now, so do be careful, but your hardware store might have good buying practices as well.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  3:55:23 PM  Show Profile
Alee is right, the word heirloom is sort of up for grabs so you have to be careful of who the parent company is. Monsanto owns or is connected with a ton of seed companies and you have to dig to find the connections - the best thing to do if you are concerned about the GMO issue is to buy from companies like the ones you named that sign the safe seed pledge. I know that Botanical Interests has - we sell that one at my work and I have seen it at our local seed store so it is possible to find them in regular retail locations
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2009 :  11:41:58 PM  Show Profile
I'd also say it depends.

What the variety of seed it is (you get the hang of names and which are hybrids and which aren't and such) and which company they're from.

Lanna, mama to three little monkeys
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2009 :  09:28:00 AM  Show Profile
What are some reputable companies to buy from? I just got a seedsavers catalog and i THINK they are a good company but I just don't know anymore. What do you girls think?

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  12:05:17 PM  Show Profile
The seeds my hardware store carries are Ferry Morse, and they have signed the pledge. They do sell a lot of hybrids, but I also noticed a lot of heirlooms this year being specifically marketed as such.

The other "big" company that I found on the Safe Seeds pledge list is Johnny's.

Seed Savers is *definitely* ok.

Here's a link to the companies that have signed. http://www.gene-watch.org/programs/safeseed/sourcebook.html

Amy Grace, thanks for the tip!

~~~Amanda in OK~~~

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

cheryl sisk
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

cheryl
darien wi
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  1:23:22 PM  Show Profile
I got heirloom seed at Lowes by burpee what do you think I did buy seed from seed saver I KNOW they are ok
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  1:36:16 PM  Show Profile
GO mavens GO!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-Mother Hen

http://harvestthymefarm.etsy.com
http://heirloommavens.blogspot.com
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  3:07:58 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Cheryl and Amanda, I saw heirloom seeds by Burpee at Cracker Barrel - in the section with lots of old time garden pair-a-fun-ail-ya (I don't know how to spell that word). Heirloom is a buzz word these days, just like anything 'green.' You have to be careful because as has been stated many times, it isn't regulated and the definition is loose. Among seed savers, the general rule of thumb is 50 years old or older, has been handed down from one generation to another and has a story to go with it. For example, if I'm able to bring back the buttercups that my dad had planted in the garden (long sad story - bad me), they would be heirlooms. My great-grandmother brought them with her from Germany, my grandma planted them and my dad was trying to keep them going for me. So they're more than 50 years old, handed down through generations and have a story.

Bottom line, research the company and if they haven't taken the pledge, don't buy from them. Monsanto is trying to get legislation passed under the intellectual property umbrella so that eventually no one will be able to save their own seed (they see it as stealing from them making $$) and the seed you buy from them will be sterile so they can't reproduce. Isn't it fascinating to think that inside that seed is a little plant just waiting to be 'born?'

Want to know more? Come on over to the DOE or read the latest edition of MJ's magazine about the mavens. We lovetalking about this - and walking the talk!

God bless -
Karen ~ Chickherder & KMW (Keeper of Maven Words)
Farmgirl Sister #311

"To own a little bit of ground, to scratch it with a hoe, to plant seeds and watch the renewal of life - this is the commonest delight of the race, the most satisfactory thing a man can do." Charles Dudley Warner

Edited by - LivingWell4You on Feb 10 2009 3:10:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  07:39:28 AM  Show Profile
Right now I'm just trying to keep myself from buying $50 worth of seeds from reneesgarden.com and rareseeds.com! Ack!!! So many little plants waiting to be born. :D

But I was plenty proud of myself for putting all those tempting packets of on-sale seeds at the hardware store back on the rack because I hadn't verified their origen.

~~~Amanda in OK~~~

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  08:17:12 AM  Show Profile
Oh wow - you put seeds back on the shelf!! You are a strong woman:)
I love picking seeds!!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  08:29:11 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Amanda, I am so proud of you! It's all I can do to keep from peeing on the electric fence!

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311

"To own a little bit of ground, to scratch it with a hoe, to plant seeds and watch the renewal of life - this is the commonest delight of the race, the most satisfactory thing a man can do." Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  08:33:26 AM  Show Profile
Wahooooooooooo Amanda.Good Girl!

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309

Almost daily posts at:
http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/

Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise',
I wash my mouth out with chocolate.
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  08:37:26 AM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness Karen, - you almost made me pee in the computer chair I was laughing so hard:)
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  09:16:07 AM  Show Profile
Hahahahah! Me too!

I think my coworkers will know I am on the web - too much laughing at work!

I'm trying to pick out some flowering perennials that will work in part sun - my whole front yard is dappled at best in the morning with mostly sun in the afternoon. So every seed that looks pretty and might tolerate some shade goes in the shopping cart. Next thing I know I've got $40 worth! And that's not even the veggies!

Very excited that I found "Fortna" white pumpkins at rareseeds.com. Bought one last year to make pie with, and it was FANtastic. And very easy to get the meat out, too. Very little scraping out seed goop.

~~~Amanda in OK~~~

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  10:00:50 AM  Show Profile
Amanda - that's how my front yard is too, I think Botanical Interests had a "shady mix" - it was flowers, mix of perennials and annuals. I will have to try to find that again
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  10:05:17 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Anything I can do to make your day, ladies! A day without laughter is like, well, I just don't even wanna think about it!!!

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311

Go to Top of Page

rooted_rover
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Sher
Nine Mile Falls WA
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  10:35:04 AM  Show Profile
Just found this thread and wanted to add my Booooo to Monsanto! They don't know who they're up against with so many heirloom mavens :) and the conviction to put seeds back on the shelf...WOW! Awesome. It's all the little choices we make each day that can make the world a better place eh? With that, I'd better stop dreaming of seeds and spring and go make my world a better place with some clean dishes.... Sher
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  10:46:06 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Hey, Sher, after your dishes are done (I'll be joining you after this post - should be there already but, ya know.....) come over to the DOE thread (Danger of Extinction) and join in the maven conversation. You've got the heart and spunk, girl! http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24908&whichpage=1

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  10:50:22 AM  Show Profile
Hey Sher - welcome from an almost-neighbor:)
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  12:26:30 PM  Show Profile
Those look great! I've never planted a mix like that, so it would be interesting to see what happens.

~~~Amanda in OK~~~

Go to Top of Page

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  2:38:11 PM  Show Profile
Amy Grace, well, my resolve only goes so far, 'cause I just spent ALL my seed money at Botanical Interests and Baker Creek. Whew!

That last post was about the Shade mix you mentioned earlier, but by the time I hit "post" after getting distracted by online shopping a whole bunch of other things were posted so it didn't really make much sense.

So Sher, I think I did ok putting my money (too much of it) where my mouth is.

Can't wait to get to know the Mavens too.

~~~Amanda in OK~~~

Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  3:14:27 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Amanda, I wondered where you went today. Now I know - you were supporting the cause!

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  3:31:41 PM  Show Profile
Yay!! Seed buying
Amanda - that happens with the posting in the Mavens all the time, we are all about 13 steps ahead of the computer!!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Heirloom Mavens Badge Badger
Go to Top of Page

cheryl sisk
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

cheryl
darien wi
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  5:42:14 PM  Show Profile
Karen thanks for the info i have read a lot about monsanto and the bad thinks they are doing to seed i have been reading a lot about heirloom i what to make my veg garden as much heirloom as i can it seam like nothing is safe anymore
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  7:31:17 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Kelley (farmmommy) shared this on another post. It's another great perspective on the importance of saving heirloom seeds. The quote is from the Path to Freedom website and I included the link to the quote below.

"Anytime I think about heirloom ANYTHING, I think about genetic diversity (of course). There are all these genes in a plant, and some you like and some you don't and some you have no idea what they do because they are "quietly" important. Important in ways we don't know. If we let some herbs "fall out of favor" and push them to the side or even go EXTINCT, we are losing something that we can't find again and LATER it might be important, medicinally, for drought tolerance, for pest tolerance, etc. It's like fighting to save the world's endangered species, only it's not species, it's GENES and we can't even describe them yet so that makes it even harder." > Jennifer Heer, Genetic Research Assistant North Carolina State University

http://pathtofreedom.com/resources/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=137&Itemid=66

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Garden Gate: Previous Topic What's the deal w/ mass produced Heirloom seeds? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page