lara916
True Blue Farmgirl

170 Posts

Lara
Washington State
USA
170 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  11:10:28 AM  Show Profile
Has anyone here ever used their own dryer sheets? I have done essential oils on a cloth/hankie and it jhust isn't very effective.

I'd love to hear some other ideas, anyone?

Warmly,

Lara #327

"Boots" Becker Homestead Farmgirls

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  12:18:43 PM  Show Profile
I use white vinegar as a rinse in my wash machine. It takes car of static cling and everything seems to come out cleaner.

I dislike using dryer sheets of any kind because they can clog the lint screen up becoming a fire hazard.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  1:41:15 PM  Show Profile
This is a little off topic, but I use dryer sheets, and then save them for things like packing material.....then I feel they get used twice.

I did not know they would clog anything.....I thought that was the lint that did that.....and lint happens no matter what, right?

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13

Edited by - jpbluesky on Feb 06 2009 1:42:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  3:29:11 PM  Show Profile
The dryer sheets leave a residue on the lint screen, not allowing air to flow through. Ask any repairman and he'll tell you how bad they are for dyers!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

lara916
True Blue Farmgirl

170 Posts

Lara
Washington State
USA
170 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  4:01:55 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ddmashayekhi

The dryer sheets leave a residue on the lint screen, not allowing air to flow through. Ask any repairman and he'll tell you how bad they are for dyers!

Dawn in IL

It also causes a residue buildup on cloth diapers and can make them start repelling water, and or becoming less absorbent in general. Another good reason to make your own if you have cd'd little ones!

Anyway, does anyone make their own?

Lara #327

Go to Top of Page

ponypower
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Lily
Caspar Ca
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  7:35:01 PM  Show Profile
Hey there,

I take dried lavender flowers and put it in small muslin bags that the health food stores sell for tea and stuff. I tie them real tight and throw them in the dryer with my clothes and especially sheets and towels. Mmmmm smells so good and no chemicals! You can use them a bunch of times and then refill them with more lavender. Sometimes I will put dried rose petals in with them too. I suppose if you couldn't find the muslin bags you could just take a scrap of material, put the lavender in the center and then tie it with a string or ribbon like a sachet. I lucked out this year and found a landscaper throwing all this lavender in the dumpster when he pruned this fall and I fluttered my eyelashes at him and took home a truckload! I have been having fun with it ever since! Course if you haven't managed to stumble on a windfall like that, you could always order from Mountain Rose Herbs on the net,...they have the bags too. Cheap.
Lily
Go to Top of Page

lara916
True Blue Farmgirl

170 Posts

Lara
Washington State
USA
170 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  8:06:57 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ponypower

Hey there,

I take dried lavender flowers and put it in small muslin bags that the health food stores sell for tea and stuff. I tie them real tight and throw them in the dryer with my clothes and especially sheets and towels. Mmmmm smells so good and no chemicals! You can use them a bunch of times and then refill them with more lavender. Sometimes I will put dried rose petals in with them too. I suppose if you couldn't find the muslin bags you could just take a scrap of material, put the lavender in the center and then tie it with a string or ribbon like a sachet. I lucked out this year and found a landscaper throwing all this lavender in the dumpster when he pruned this fall and I fluttered my eyelashes at him and took home a truckload! I have been having fun with it ever since! Course if you haven't managed to stumble on a windfall like that, you could always order from Mountain Rose Herbs on the net,...they have the bags too. Cheap.
Lily

Great idea Lily, I love Mountain Herbs aren't they are a great company? I will try this as it seems like it would work well since it won't just evaporate in the heat like the essential oil. Thanks for the tip! :)

Lara #327

Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2009 :  09:47:19 AM  Show Profile
Glad to know about vinegar in the rinse to prevent static cling. And I am going to make some lavender sachets to the dryer. I didn't know that dryer sheets were so bad for dryers. Gonna remedy that!

For tomorrow and its needs I do not pray, but keep me, guide me, love me, Lord just for today.
St. Augustine

Go to Top of Page

katalind
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Kathy
Chapin SC
USA
177 Posts

Posted - May 26 2010 :  8:59:27 PM  Show Profile
I read in a magazine once to put some of your hair conditioner on a damp washcloth and into the dryer.
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic dryer sheets? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page