Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Would you expect anything from the dog breeder?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Would you expect anything from the dog breeder? Next Topic
Page: of 2

fiddlers wife
True Blue Farmgirl

248 Posts

ginny
pacific mo
USA
248 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  4:25:43 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Beverley

I am glad your dog feels better and am glad she is refunded some of your money. But mostly I am glad things are going better for you and your dog. Hopefully it will all work out in the end...

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/

Beverley, she didn't refund anything - she offered to and asked how much I think one testicle is worth. I haven't answered her because, really, what can I say? It doesn't matter at this point - I'm not going to return the dog and I'll deal with the extra surgical costs for the runaway testicle. I know the dog is far better off with me. Thanks so much for your concern!

www.handcraftedatwitsend.weebly.com
www.ginnymae.etsy.com
Restyled vintage elements featuring feed sack purses and totes
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2009 :  09:45:43 AM  Show Profile
Oh boy and a big sigh.......smacking her dogs?!? Crating for long periods!?!?

I am a proponent of crate trainig of course, but this is rediculous.

Pups that I have purchased from breeders in years past were given a "room" of their own and a lot of people/different circumatance exposure before they were released to their new owners. There was a set number of things the pups had to experience. Stuff like strange people, other dogs, other animals, rides in the car, short trips outside...really anything POSITIVE to provide good lasting non fearful experiences at such a young age..

I feel very badly for you and worse for the animals under the breeder's "care" that don't know any better
Go to Top of Page

twzlrwho
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

christina
dewitt va
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2009 :  1:20:54 PM  Show Profile
I read that long bone disease can be caused by too much protein in the puppy diet. The bones don't grow at the same speed and I believe a lot of them might even grow out of it. Also unfortunately most states consider dogs livestock so the same rules apply for enclosures. That's why puppy mills have lasted so long. I am proud to say VA was one of the first states to change this and now have more of a stipulation on how many dogs you can have and the condition they are kept in. I wish you all the luck as I have a german shepherd myself and am an avid dog lover!

Best Wishes,
Christina
Go to Top of Page

fiddlers wife
True Blue Farmgirl

248 Posts

ginny
pacific mo
USA
248 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2009 :  1:48:46 PM  Show Profile
Christina,
yes, too much protein is a possible culprit. I've got him on a holistic 24% protein food, as I have all along. He is doing MUCH better since the prednisone and at least now I have something to help him if he has another bout of lameness.
The situation with the breeder is tricky, The place is very clean, her dogs are clean and in good physical condition but she feels that in order to manage everybody they have to be separated. (This is her reasoning, not mine). She spends a great deal of money on various forms of testing and health screenings, X rays and certifications & titles, but their mental health doesn't seem to be that important to her. I don't understand it.
The main thing is my guy is back to his bright, happy self and we can deal with the other stuff. I'd just as soon not talk to the breeder.
Thanks for your input.

www.handcraftedatwitsend.weebly.com
www.ginnymae.etsy.com
Restyled vintage elements featuring feed sack purses and totes
Go to Top of Page

twzlrwho
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

christina
dewitt va
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2009 :  2:05:29 PM  Show Profile
I can relate, my german shepherd pup is 15mnths old and diagnosed with dysplasia. Yikes! Both of her parents hips were certified so of course my breeder isn't cooperating with me either. It's quite frustrating.

I'm glad to hear he is feeling better!!!!

Work like you don't have to, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like nobody is watching :)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Would you expect anything from the dog breeder? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page