Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 Fancy-schmancy: Serves me right!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Fancy-schmancy: Serves me right! Next Topic  

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2006 :  3:55:45 PM  Show Profile
Ladies, I ran right out and spent a fortune on "Venetian oil-rubbed bronze" plumbing fixtures to set just the right tone of "old-fashioned and sort of poor" for the bathroom I remodeled in my old farmhouse. They're basically matte black metal (I was hoping for something just a little more like bronze, but, oh well...), with white porcelain handles. (I love flipping the little wire soap-holder thingie attached to the surface-mounted shower pole. But I digress.)

Our mighty well water has already begun to leave its (white) mark on the black metal. I'm afraid to have a go at cleaning off the mineral deposits; even using Earth-friendly solvents, a certain amount of abrasion is inevitable and I don't want to ruin the finish. This stuff was EXPENSIVE! Did I mention that?

Has anyone an idea for some combination of fluid, rag, and elbow grease that will do the trick of getting rid of the mineral deposits without marring the finish?

Slouched against the subway tiles, flipping the little wire soap holder, waiting wistfully for a Farmgirl rescue party,

Rosemary

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2006 :  5:27:19 PM  Show Profile
Rosemary -- these fixtures sound lovely. Maybe check with the manufacturer and see what they would recommend for cleaning. I would have to think that white vinegar would be what you'd use because it is non-abrasive and takes off mineral deposits. But I'd be afraid to try anything without checking first. Sorry I can't be more help.

Gratitude turns what we have into enough.
http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2006 :  12:46:01 AM  Show Profile
Thanks! I thought first of vinegar and was so sure it wouldn't harm the finish, that I tried it. Didn't do a thing. My technique must be faulty! Does vinegar work better if you tie a vinegar-soaked cloth around the problem and let it sit there for a long time, thinking about itself?

I asked the plumbing supply place about this and they just shrugged, stared right through me like I wasn't there. The manufacturer was formerly headquartered in New Orleans. I'm sure the least of their worries right now is helping me get little mineral deposits off my faucets -- but maybe I'll just have to take a chance and ask.

Assuming I get these initial mineral deposits taken care of, I wonder if it would make sense to rub the fixtures down with some kind of oil to keep future deposits from taking hold. (You know you're a true FarmGirl when you start thinking about spraying down your bathtub with WD-40!

I was supposed to be somebody's "trophy wife," oh so many years ago. Where did I go wrong?
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2006 :  12:20:55 PM  Show Profile
Oh, I am so sorry for your situation here but your sense of humor about it is fabulous! I smiled the entire time. I have no idea what to suggest, though.. sorry I'm just sending you sympathizing thoughts.. have a wonderful day.. Julia Hayes

being simple to simply be
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2006 :  1:03:07 PM  Show Profile
My husband (who is assistant manager at a plumbing supply store) told me to tell you NOT to use anything abrasive...it WILL take off that finish. He said that after you do get the deposits off it (he said to call the manufacturer for sure if it is Moen..1-800-BUY-MOEN) that rubbing it down with some mineral oil is a pretty good idea..but he said not to use WD-40...it evaporates and wouldn't do the job you want. Mineral oil or 3in1 oil is what he said he would use. He also said we are never getting those types of faucets for that reason. Dang..and I sorta like them too. I was thinking for the kitchen. Oh well.
Good luck!!

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2006 :  08:53:45 AM  Show Profile
Jenny you are always a wealth of information....you are the queen of been there and done that.

My 2 cents into this is that I use my cotton crocheted rags for scrubbing. They seem to be the best of combination softness and texture for scrubbing. But, our hard well water gets the best of me most of the time. I tell myself that it just adds character to our sinks
and faucets!

Hope you find a solution!

Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2006 :  09:04:35 AM  Show Profile
Oh, I was submitting that reply I remembered an off color joke. It's the kind that can be a long story type but I'll try to keep it short. Try to read it in a cajun accent.

Meh, Gautreaux and his wife were havin' a baby. Dere dey were in de hospital just a waitin'. Her was hollerin' and pushin'. De doctor made Gautreaux go out in de waitin' room. De nurse came out and said "Yous got a baby boy! and a baby girl!" Meh, Gautreaux 'tought ta 'imself, "Twins! we gots twins!" De nurse came out again and announced a few more babies. She kept comin' out and announcin' babies..10...15...25...30....35 babies! Gautreaux was sure tired and dumbfounded. Finally, de nurse came out and announced de last baby, number 40. Gautreaux went to see his wife. Hers say, "Meh, Gautreaux, I told ya' we should'a used the 3in1 instead'o the WD40!!

HA HA HA
Catherine

Jenny, tell your hubby 'bout dem uses for 3in1 and WD40! hee hee

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

mustbeteatime
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Colette
MN
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2006 :  4:20:22 PM  Show Profile
Rosemary,

I have left vinegar soaked rags around a faucet before to remove mineral deposits and it worked, BUT, if left too long it could damage the finish. If you do that, check it fairly often. My fixtures are nothing special, and after soaking with vinegar there was ugly areas revealed where the fixture had corroded away. Yuk.

Enjoy the good things in life!
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2006 :  9:42:12 PM  Show Profile
Well now, I've been off-line chasing a neighbor's bull, who has so far destroyed four (count 'em: FOUR) evergreen trees that we planted back in September and knocked over a cement birdbath (broke in two) and he even tried to get up on our porch once, no kidding, so I haven't been so much thinking about how to get mineral deposits off our new plumbing fixtures the past day or two as I have been trying to think of ways to get my negligent neighbor to take care of his %@##$* fences!

Whew! I'm all outta breath jes' *talkin'* about it!

There. That's better.

I want to thank you all for your terrific ideas and much-appreciated sympathy. Pour yourselves a nice cuppa. Crocheted cotton: check (faboo idea!). Try the vinegar wrap but interrupt its work frequently so it doesn't wind up making things way worse: check (good warning!). Contact manufacturer to whine, check (I thought of that myself). The manufacturer would be Elizabethan Classics, by the bye, Aunt Jenny. If you're curious, you can see about them at http://www.efaucets.com/elizabethan-classics.asp

Oh. I asked for help from the sheriff's office this morning about the neighbor with the wandering bull. They all advised me that the best solution was a loaded rifle and an empty freezer. Then they all had a good laugh.

Maybe my New Year's Resolution for 2006 should be to drink heavily.

Ladies, thanks, thanks, thanks! Can't wait to try your suggestions.

Rosemary
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2006 :  9:49:04 PM  Show Profile
It is beautiful Rosemary..alot like the Moen ones I was thinking of..only better.
Yikes..sounds like the bull has for sure been a more pressing issue!!! Good luck!

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2006 :  05:43:24 AM  Show Profile
Rosemary, you certainly aren't bored these days.

I hope the neighbor not only keeps his bull fenced in but also repays you for destruction to your property....and does it without being asked or told to...that would be very neighborly.

Blessings
Catherine

Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2006 :  04:50:57 AM  Show Profile
Well I sure appreciate that you brought up this topic. I've been looking for new kitchen fixtures, but was always stopped by the lack of matching cold water dispensers. This site has plenty to choose from, and I should be able to get something done with it soon. Sorry you're having some difficulty, but I sure am glad you brought it up!

Sorry about the bull, though. Geez, what a pain. At a barn where I used to work, the neighbor's bull kept getting in with the home herd and was best friends with their bull. They went around like a couple of batchelors, always together. Since there was a creek through both properties, it was hard to keep fenced, and they took advantage of it. They got in with the horses a lot, too. I hope you get this ironed out, short of the shotgun method, that is.
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Fancy-schmancy: Serves me right! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page