Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Winter seed sowing - has anyone done this?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Winter seed sowing - has anyone done this? Next Topic  

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  07:14:40 AM  Show Profile
OK, so http://www.wintersown.org/encourages winter sowing (well, duh) of your seeds, basically making mini cold frames out of things like coffee cans, etc, and putting them outside so they sprout when nature intends. (And they give you free seeds!)

Has anybody successfully done this? It seems so simple!

My seeds from wintersown showed up yesterday. Wow! They sent me 18 (!!!) packets of heirloom seeds just for sending them two SASEs. All my tomato picks AND all my alternates! If you haven't seen this site, it's worth a look. I had to print out the list of tomato varieties to pick from, because the scrolling was making me dizzy, it was so long.

~~~Amanda in OK~~~

I made an airplane out of stone. I always did like staying home. -Shel Silverstein

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  07:21:20 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the tip. I'll have to look into that. I've done something similar with success, but I'll have to check this out because it does sound different. Maybe a solution to the too-early planting itch I've got. Thanks!

We make a difference. http://huckleberrywine.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

happyhousewife
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

Mary
North Pole Alaska
201 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2009 :  7:12:37 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the suggestion, ladies! I sent my SASE's when I read this and I just received the first one today. Yay! I got my 6 choices, plus 2 alternates AND they also threw in some broccoli and parsley! I'm very impressed with their packaging and labels too. It's so organized compared to my own box of random-sized seed packets. I think I'll try to find some more little ziplocs like the ones they use. It should be easier to keep myself organized if they're all packaged the same way.
Go to Top of Page

gspringman
True Blue Farmgirl

387 Posts

Gail
Bonanza Oregon
USA
387 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2009 :  7:57:40 PM  Show Profile  Send gspringman a Yahoo! Message
Amanda, thank you. After reading about the seeds, I too will mail out a donation and SASE tomorrow. Can't wait to see what I will get, and just in time for spring planting with luck.

gail
Go to Top of Page

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2009 :  11:21:20 AM  Show Profile
I am FINALLY getting around to my winter sowing (long story - helping the BF move to another state for his job has been super stressful)

It's not too late to start, right? :O

~~~Amanda in OK~~~

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

lacisne88
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Chelsey
Lake Stevens Washington
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2009 :  12:23:29 AM  Show Profile
How cool is that! I just checked it out. How do you send a SASE? Do you send and envelope inside of another envelope or what? Thanks!

Chelsey
Farmgirl Sister #283

http://farmgirlpleasures.blogspot.com/

http://aminiatureworld.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2009 :  08:18:51 AM  Show Profile
Chelsey, yes, just address your envelope to yourself and put your stamps on it, then fold it up and put it inside another envelope.

They sent me a TON of stuff - almost too much!

~~~Amanda in OK~~~

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Winter seed sowing - has anyone done this? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page