5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2009 :  11:51:44 AM  Show Profile
I was wondering if anyone here makes "Herman"..its actually a sourdough starter, I think...
Mine is 5 days overdue from when I was suppose to bake, and it is definately, well, alcoholic?....teehee!
....can I still use it?
Can I also add to it and start one over, or do I have to start over all new?

Does anyone have the "fermented" fruit recipe...mother made it when I grew up and I cannot find it....

Farmgirl Sister #368

http://froccsfrillsfurbiloesandmore.blogspot.com
http://thecontentedwoman.blogspot.com

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2009 :  1:49:36 PM  Show Profile
I posted a brandied fruit recipe on here last fall - I will find it and post it for you.

Also, I made the Herman starter years ago...
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2009 :  1:52:53 PM  Show Profile
Here it is:

Brandied Fruit Cakes

Starter:
Use a gallon size container. Do not seal tightly.

1 cup chunk canned pineapple
1 cup sugar
2 tbs brandy
Let ingredients sit in jar for two weeks. Stir daily.

Add:
1 cup maraschino cherries, including juice
1 cup sugar
2 Tbs brandy
Let mixture sit for two more weeks, stir daily.

The fourth week add:
1 cup sliced peaches, including juice
1 cup sugar
2 Tbs brandy
Let mixture sit for two more weeks, stir daily.

Separate the liquid from the fruit. Do not refrigerate the liquid. The liquid is your starter and the fruit can be used on cakes, ice cream, etc.

Next:
1 1/2 cups starter
2 1/2 cups sugar
1 qt sliced peaches w/juice
Combine & stir daily for 10 days.

On 10th day add:
2 1/2 cups sugar
20oz pineapple chunks w/juice
Stir daily for 10 more days.

On 20th day add:
2 1/2 cups sugar
2 9oz jars of maraschino cherries w/juice
Stir daily for 10 more days.

On 30th day you are ready to bake cakes.
This liquid will keep for a long time - do not seal or refrigerate, just set lid on to cover.
You now have starter to share with others.

Each cake:
2 cups of brandied fruit (no juice, drain well)
1 box yellow cake mix
2/3 cup oil
1 small box vanilla instant pudding
4 eggs
1 cup chopped nuts
Mix together & pour (will be kinda stiff) in greased & floured bundt pan (or angel food cake pan). Bake 350 degrees for 60 min., but watch, it may take longer depending on your oven.

Glaze: 1 8oz cream cheese, 1 box powdered sugar, 1 tsp vanilla, 1 stick butter. This makes enough glaze for 3 cakes, which is what I usually get from the fruit.

Go to Top of Page

maerwert
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Mary
Mulino OR
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2009 :  8:15:34 PM  Show Profile
Terri,
I found an article from many years ago about Herman which includes the recipe and instructions. It looks very much like the Amish Friendship Bread recipe that went around a few years back. I keep some of the starter way down in the bottom of my freezer for when I get the urge to make some. It freezes quite well. If you need the recipe I'll add it to the forum.
I've also made the brandied fruit cake recipe and saved the starter in my freezer too.

berrypatchmom
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  06:16:22 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Mary, would you post it, please? I'm interested, especially since it freezes well.

God bless -
Karen ~ Chickherder & KMW (Keeper of Maven Words)
Farmgirl Sister #311

"To own a little bit of ground, to scratch it with a hoe, to plant seeds and watch the renewal of life - this is the commonest delight of the race, the most satisfactory thing a man can do." Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  08:29:30 AM  Show Profile
Hey girls! Please check out this topic http://www.maryjanesfarm.com/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28238 for all kinds of info on Bread the MaryJane Way!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  08:29:50 AM  Show Profile
For the juice starter can you substitute the brandy for a dark rum or bourbon?

Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  10:56:33 AM  Show Profile
I don't know why not...seems like it would work to me!
Go to Top of Page

olive610
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Mary-Alice
Missouri City TX
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  2:22:25 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by 5 acre Farmgirl

I was wondering if anyone here makes "Herman"..its actually a sourdough starter, I think...
Mine is 5 days overdue from when I was suppose to bake, and it is definately, well, alcoholic?....teehee!
....can I still use it?
Can I also add to it and start one over, or do I have to start over all new?

Farmgirl Sister #368

I used to make Herman all the time years ago. In fact on Sunday I found my dog-eared copy which was all splattered with yuck and decided to type it up and add it to my recipe file on my PC.

I just pulled it up to read and the directions say that you have to feed it every 4 to 5 days. If you have not fed it then I would go ahead and do that but do not use it the day you feed it. You are also supposed to stir it every day.

If you need the complete directions I can copy them and post them for you.

"Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint on it you can." Danny Kaye
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  06:06:49 AM  Show Profile
Got all inspired last night and bought ingredients for the fermented cake. Day 1 and counting.....

Will tuck the Herman info away for later use too. I'm glad it freezes. Never would have thought of that, as I hate to waste something this good.
Go to Top of Page

maerwert
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Mary
Mulino OR
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  5:45:16 PM  Show Profile
Herman Starter
4 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour, divided
2 cups warm water
1 package active dry yeast
2 cups milk, divided
2 cups sugar, divided
Day 1: In a glass or ceramic bowl, mix 2 cups flour, the warm water and yeast together thoroughly. Leave on the kitchen counter uncovered; don't refrigerate it.
Days 2, 3 and 4: stir well with a wooden spoon.
Day 5: Stir and add 1 cup milk, 1 cup flour and 1 cup sugar.
Days 6, 7 and 8: Stir with a wooden spoon.
Day 9: Stir and add remaining 1 cup milk, remaining 1 cup flour and remaining 1 cup sugar: stir well.
Day 10: Ladle 1 cup starter into 2 containers and refrigerate. Keep one for yourself, give the other to a friend, along with this recipe.
Add to the liquid left in the bowl:
2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp soda
2 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1 cup raisins or nuts (optional)
2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
Mix until well blended. Pour into a well greased and floured 9 x 13 inch pan and top with the following topping:
1 Tbs flour
1 Tbs cinnamon
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup melted butter
Mix and pour over dough. Use a fork to swirl through. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes. Glaze with:
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/8 cup milk
Boil three to four minutes. Gently spoon over baked cake.

Do not use metal spoons to stir your starter. If starter becomes pink, throw it out and begin again. Starter may be frozen.

When beginning with 1 cup of starter:
Day 1: Place 1 cup starter in a ceramic bowl, feed it 1 cup milk, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup flour, mix well with a wooden spoon and cover loosely.
Days 2,3 and 4: Stir with a wooden spoon.
Day 5: Add 1 cup milk, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup flour. Mix well with a wooden spoon.
Days 6, 7, 8 and 9: Stir with a wooden spoon.
Day 10: Proceed as for Day 10 above.

berrypatchmom
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  5:51:12 PM  Show Profile
I have had Herman and the Amish bread in the past, and loved them! They made the yummiest bread.....but after awhile, I ran out of folks to share with, and just baked it all up and did not restart. But it is really good!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13

Edited by - jpbluesky on Feb 04 2009 5:51:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  6:04:53 PM  Show Profile
Herman and the Friendship starter are not sourdough and it's very confusing to those who think all starters are the same. Sourdough is not sweet, the others are; that should be simple to remember. I've been on several sourdough groups and occasionally someone will post asking about the Herman and Friendship ones. The word 'starter' must confuse those who are not bread bakers.
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  7:04:59 PM  Show Profile
The "Herman" I did, didn't have any sugar in it, and tasted like Sourdough...I also tried a overnight sourdough and it was wonderful..
I would like to know more about the real "Sourdough" though..maybe you could email me and share?............
The above recipe for the Brandied fruit, is exactly what I was looking for,,,Thanks sooooo much, my mother did it for years when we grew up and she could not find it..........
I REALLY appreciate alla the info. it helps...
Farmgirls are GREAT!!!!

Farmgirl Sister #368

Go to Top of Page

olive610
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Mary-Alice
Missouri City TX
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  10:07:17 AM  Show Profile
My Herman Starter is different from yours. There is no milk to get the starter going and there is LOT less sugar in it for the feedings. So the less sugar might be an option for those who need to restrict sugar in their diets. It is still a sweeter and less sour bread.

To make the starter:

2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups lukewarm water
1 tablespoon active dry yeast(1 package)
3 tablespoons sugar

Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Add remaining two cups water and flour; mix thoroughly in non-metal container. Cover loosely with waxed paper or cheesecloth for five to ten days, until bubbly; stir each morning.

On the fifth day (or when bubbly) feed Herman the following and then feed every 4 to 5 days or it will die. Refrigerate. You must stir everyday:

1 cup flour (regular)
1 cup milk (low fat is okay)
1/2 cup sugar

Never let me get less than a cup in the starter bowl. Do not use me the day of a feeding. When you are going to use the starter to bake something let the starter warm up to room temperature.

Now here are some tried and true recipes using the starter. I have made all of them and they are very good.

Sour Dough Rolls

1 cup starter
1/2 cup warm water – dissolve 1 package yeast in water
4 Tablespoons oil
2 and 1/2 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Dash of salt

Mix well – put on lightly floured board and knead for awhile. Form into rolls and let rise 1 to 1.5 hours in a warm place until doubled. Bake at 350° for 20 to 25 minutes.

For Freezing: Bake at 275 for 20 minutes and let cool. Put into a plastic freezer bag. Use as you would other brown and serve rolls.

Drop Biscuits

1 cup starter
1/4 cup oil
1 and 1/4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
Dash salt

Mix well. Drop by spoonfuls on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 – 20 minutes.

Shortcake

Mix as for biscuits and add 1/4 cup sugar. Bake as you would for biscuits.

Sourdough Bread

1 Cup Sourdough starter
1 package active dry yeast
1 & 1/2 cups warm water
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
6 cups unsifted flour
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons sugar

Sprinkle the yeast over water to dissolve. Stir in starter, 4 cups flour, salt and sugar. Stir for 3 minutes. Put in large greased bowl, cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled (about 2 hours). Mix soda with 1 cup flour and knead into the dough which has doubled. Knead on floured board with rest of the flour, even a little more if needed so dough won’t be sticky. Shape into 1 large or 2 small oblong loaves. Place on lightly greased cookie sheet or in pans, cover with cloth and set in a warm place to rise until nearly doubled. Before baking brush surface with water and score the tops of loaves with a sharp knife. Place a shallow pan of water on the bottom rack of the oven. Preheat your over to 400 degrees. Put the bread over the pan over the pans of water on the middle rack. Bake at 400 degrees for 40 to 50 minutes. Test to make sure it is done.

Here is another variaton of the biscuit recipe. It is a Rolled biscuit.

Rolled Sourdough Biscuits

1 cup flour (or more)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda

To the above ingredients cut in 1/3 cup shortening. Then add 1 cup sourdough starter. Mix lightly. Roll out the dough to 1/2 to 3/4 inches thick. Using a biscuit cutter, cut the dough. Let rise 30 to 40 minutes in a warm place. Bake 12 minutes at 450 degrees.

Cinnamon Rolls (Super Yummy!)

Mix the same as above for biscuits. Roll the dough out thinner and then spread with the following mixture:

1/2 stick butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup nuts
2 Tablespoons flour
2 teaspoons cinnamon

Melt the butter and then add the remaining ingredients. Spread mixture evenly over the dough. Roll jelly roll fashion and then slice. Place on greased pan. Let rise and bake as you would for the biscuits (12 minutes at 450 degrees).

Sourdough Pancakes

1 cup flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup Herman Starter
1/3 cup canola or vegetable oil
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk

In a large bowl mix together all the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients and beat well.

Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium heat. Pour a 1/4 cup measure for each pancake. Yummy!

Sourdough Chocolate Cake

1 cup sugar* (*1 and 1/2 cups if using unsweetened cocoa)
1/2 cup shortening
2 eggs
1 cup thick starter
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 squares semi-sweet chocolate, melted (or 10 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa)
2 cups no-sift flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking soda

Cream the sugar and shortening together. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Add starter, milk, vanilla, cinnamon and the melted chocolate. Beat until smooth for about a minute using an electric mixer. Blend the flour, salt and soda in a separate bowl and sprinkle over the batter. Fold in gently but thoroughly. Pour into two 8 or 9 inch greased and floured cake pans. Bate at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes or until cake tests done. Frost if desired with your favorite frosting recipe.

Sourdough Cornbread

1 cup sourdough starter
1 and 1/2 cups enriched yellow cornmeal
1 and 1/2 cups milk
2 eggs, beaten
2 Tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup melted butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking soda

Thoroughly mix the starter, cornmeal, milk, eggs and sugar in a large bowl. Stir in butter, salt and baking soda. Turn into a greased pan (about the size of a 10 inch frying pan) and bake in a hot 450 degree oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Serve hot.

I edited this post to correct the recipe for the Pancakes. There was a mistake.

"Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint on it you can." Danny Kaye

Edited by - olive610 on Mar 18 2009 7:40:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

olive610
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Mary-Alice
Missouri City TX
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  10:15:03 AM  Show Profile
Oops....here is one more recipe using the Herman starter:

Herman Coffeecake

Combine in a large bowl:
2 cups Herman
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon ginger
2 eggs
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup oil
Optional add one of the folloiwng to the batter. : 1 cup raisins, nuts, dates, chopped apples, well drained crushed pineapple or coconut

Place batter in greased 9 x 13 inch pan. In another bowl, cut together the following:

1 tablespoon of flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup margarine
1 cup brown sugar

Sprinkle over cake batter. Bake at 350 for 30 to 40 minutes. If desired drizzle on a glaze made by boiling together for five minutes the following: 1/2 cup margarine, 1 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup milk.

Go to Top of Page

maerwert
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Mary
Mulino OR
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  7:36:13 PM  Show Profile
Terri,
Be sure to check the Farm Kitchen Forum titled "Bread the MaryJane Way" for all kinds of info on a true sourdough starter from the last issue of MaryJanes Farm. It's over 30 pages now and chock full of info on sourdough. I've learned a lot from these ladies.

berrypatchmom
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2009 :  09:52:36 AM  Show Profile
Just a quick update.

Decided to do the fermented fruit/cake. Am in the middle of week 2. Added the frist round of pineapple and cherries.

I stir every a.m. and inhale MMMmmmmm

ohhh i can't wait!

thanks again for the recipe!
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2009 :  4:54:30 PM  Show Profile
OH, Anna, I'm jealous, that stuff is so good! Make sure to use the cream cheese frosting, it really pushes it right over the top!!!
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  5:15:46 PM  Show Profile
OHHH you betcha! I had a cream cheese frosting recipe that alwyas needs tweaking. Just can't seem to get it right

i'll use the one w/ this cake and watch it disappear!

AND as an ice cream addict, I KNOW the syrup will go for it, AND perhaps another cake starter

it gets kind of addicting
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  03:26:39 AM  Show Profile
One more week to go and the cake will be ready

After the separating the solids from the liquids part, I started adding just a tiny bit more rum each time another can of fruit and sugar was added

This juice has super fizz now. You can stand there and watch the fizz seep out of the fruit

Once the cake is made, I'll keep this going just to have another fun drink option on hand

The syrup mixes VERY well with ice and club soda

So for anyone interested I take about 4oz of the liquid, pour another 5-6 ox clib soda in the same glass, add a few ice cubes and enjoy!

It's sweet so a little goes a long way

Go to Top of Page

candela59
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Peggy
White Swan WA
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2009 :  4:17:00 PM  Show Profile  Send candela59 a Yahoo! Message
Mary~ I've been looking for a recipe for a "Herman Starter" similiar to the one I had many years ago. I believe yours is it! I just copied and pasted your entire posts..both of them :)

Thanks for the info!

www.thewanderlustgirl.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

olive610
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Mary-Alice
Missouri City TX
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2009 :  7:32:25 PM  Show Profile
Peggy, You are welcome. I just made the pancakes this week for breakfast. They were so good. I looked back over my original post here and realized there is a mistake with the pancake recipe. I have also gone back to my original post and corrected it there.

Here is the corrected recipe:

Sourdough Pancakes

1 cup flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup Herman Starter
1/3 cup canola or vegetable oil
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk

In a large bowl mix together all the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients and beat well.

Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium heat. Pour a 1/4 cup measure for each pancake. Yummy!

Edited by - olive610 on Mar 18 2009 7:37:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

candela59
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Peggy
White Swan WA
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2009 :  10:45:14 PM  Show Profile  Send candela59 a Yahoo! Message
Mary-Alice~ Thanks! I got the post here and my email. Can't wait to make them. Peggy :)

www.thewanderlustgirl.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

olive610
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Mary-Alice
Missouri City TX
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2009 :  06:07:07 AM  Show Profile
Peggy,

You are welcome. I felt so badly when I discovered the mistake. I received your e-mail this morning. I think you will love the pancakes.

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Anyone make "Herman"....? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page