Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 New Farmhouse - Water problem...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic New Farmhouse - Water problem... Next Topic  

MissWhit
True Blue Farmgirl

142 Posts

Whitney
Maine
USA
142 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2009 :  2:55:50 PM  Show Profile
We are going to be renting a 150 yr old farm house coming up next month. So far it's a dream come true with one minor exception: it used to be a dairy farm and apparently we can't drink the water due to the high nitrate levels. We will probably get it tested on our own just so we can see exactly how big the problem is, but until then we aren't worried about it too much. Has anyone else dealt with water problems at your homes??? I have been thinking about looking into water filtration, water cooler setups, rainwater catchment, etc...let me know if you have any advice/experience... Thanks!!!

"The ordinary arts we practice every day at home are of more importance to the soul than their simplicity might suggest." Thomas More

Farmgirl Sister #154

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2009 :  5:30:04 PM  Show Profile
Our well water has a lot of iron and some sulfur in it. So, we drink bottled water, We have large 5 gallon containers that my husband fills up at work. The filtration system for our house is around $3k so we can't afford it. We use the bottled water for drinking and cooking purposes only. We have two rain barrels that we use to water our plants outside with.

Good luck on getting your water tested. I hope things work out for you.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

MissWhit
True Blue Farmgirl

142 Posts

Whitney
Maine
USA
142 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2009 :  06:04:23 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Dawn...Do you do laundry/dishes/bathe with your well water?

"The ordinary arts we practice every day at home are of more importance to the soul than their simplicity might suggest." Thomas More

Farmgirl Sister #154
Go to Top of Page

Maybees mom
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

karen
Litchfield IL
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  05:30:06 AM  Show Profile
I am very new first sharing thought....I live on a farm and our well is not drinkable we hauled water from treatment plant for years...very reasonable
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic New Farmhouse - Water problem... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page