janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2009 :  09:58:31 AM  Show Profile
I work in the concrete jungle and live in a house that all I have to do is open a window to talk to my neighbors and today i am remembering how i grew up. 10 miles from the nearest city, 1 mile to the closest neighbor. chickens and cows and sheep by the dozens, cats (almost always 13) and 2 dogs and trees ...pecan, peach, apricot, plum, chinaberry, mulberry.......i am so homesick today...we churned our butter by hand, icecream was a treat and made by hand churning too. never inside to watch tv....i would ride my bicycle for hours...made me sandwhiches to take and a good book and would disappear outside until the sun set....got older and had more chores...made 2 pound cakes a week for our family of 6. also helped with the biscuits and cleaning up....food was always hot and good and plentiful....didn't help with the chickens because i was afraid of them and didn't help with the garden much because i was allergic to almost everthing outside (didn't stop my day trips though) loved listening to the wind and hearing the birds. spending hours on the front porch snapping beans to put up....sigh.......
takes a few years to realize how good we had it before we moved to the city.....can't wait to get back...
janiee
farmgirl #390

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2009 :  10:02:11 AM  Show Profile
Yes! We lived in a townhouse when I was little and then moved into a "suburbia" neighborhood later on. Now that we are able to be further out, it is so much nicer and my neighbors are more than a stones throw away. Of course, once we get into the new house, our neighbors will be VERY closeby, but it is settled in a state park area so it is still lovely scenery and lots of pretty fresh air away from the city lights and smog.
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

Stashaholics Anonymous Member since Jan. 29th, 2008 :)

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, cookies in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming. "WOOHOO, What a Ride!"

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2009 :  10:40:22 AM  Show Profile
I love the saying at the end of your messages! I may have to borrow it!
thanks
janiee
farmgirl #390
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2009 :  2:40:01 PM  Show Profile
Go right ahead, Janie. :) I found it on a wall hanging!
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

Stashaholics Anonymous Member since Jan. 29th, 2009 :)

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, cookies in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming. "WOOHOO, What a Ride!"

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  07:27:45 AM  Show Profile
I have never lived on a farm but have such a desire to live on one. No one understands me in my family and they all think I'm crazy. But it's this world that is crazy and I long for simplicity.
Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic just remembering Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page