Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Laundry soap advice needed Next Topic  

kpaints
True Blue Farmgirl

1564 Posts

karen
cheney wa
1564 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2009 :  09:35:11 AM  Show Profile  Send kpaints an AOL message
I have been using unscented, chemical free safe soap for over 30 years. For years I used All's free and clear. At this time I use Trader Joe's liquid laundry soap. I have not used bounce or other chemical products. Once in awhile, I use a stain remover(probably not a chemical free one).
Here is my trouble, my daughter uses regular laundry soaps and bounce and when I recommend the natural she says it is too expensive. I think the bounce is her fiance's. I was overwhelmed by their clothes smell recently and had a hard time sitting around it. She is in tune to this natural way to live (as she grew up with it)but I think the cost is an issue. With a new baby coming I am real concerned about this situation. All these scents will overwhelm the little one. When my kids were little (over 30-40 years ago) one used a special soap for baby clothes. What do you do these days?

Find your joy and live it. http://cheneybaglady.blogspot.com/http://www.kpaints.etsy.com

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2009 :  10:30:23 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I make my own laundry powder. It's is super easy and comes out to about 4 cents a load as opposed to the 15-22 cents per load that most commercial laundry soap. The best thing about it? You can add your own essential oil scent or leave it unscented. If you use soap with a bit of scent in it, the scent usually is rinsed mostly out so even if the clothes do have a little bit of scent to them-it isn't the overpowering scent that commercial detergents can leave behind. Also you can put vinegar in the rise cycle (About a half cup) and it helps cut static cling and softens clothes. And because so little is used, by the time the clothes dry- no vinegar smell is left.

Here is a quick way to make the powdered laundry detergent. I suggest making your daughter a batch with instructions (Only 2 tables spoons per regular load, 3 tables spoons for large loads and a quarter cup for really filthy loads).

1 box Borax
1 box Baking soda (2 lbs)
1 box Super Washing Soda (Usually arm and hammer brand- found in laundry aisle or at www.soapgonebuy.com)
3 bars of laundry style soap such as Fels Naptha Soap, Castile Soap, Zote of 3 canisters of Boraxo Powdered Hand soap.

Simply grate find the soap (here is where the Boraxo Hand soap is nice- it's already powdered!) and combine with the contents of all 3 boxes. Mix until everything is evenly distributed. Ta Da! Done! Super cheap! Super Easy and no over powering scents!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

rabbithorns
True Blue Farmgirl

544 Posts

Allison
Fort Scott KS
USA
544 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2009 :  10:36:49 AM  Show Profile
I used to grate Ivory bar soap because that's what Ivory Flakes was but I can't find it. Then I add a touch of washing soda to get the soap residue out.

12 bars would last the year ($3.50) and 1 box of washing soda per year ($5) was 71 cents per month.

My DH said the free and clears didn't take the sweat smell out of his clothes, but the plain soap did. They just smelled clean and fresh, not perfumey.

But Ivory just changed their soap and added a new perfume. I now use a more costly simple soap but it's also a lye soap - Kirk's Castille. About $1 a bar.

But I'm still using the same process. That's still only about $1.40 a month.

http://www.rabbithorns.etsy.com & www.wayofthewife.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kpaints
True Blue Farmgirl

1564 Posts

karen
cheney wa
1564 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2009 :  2:55:46 PM  Show Profile  Send kpaints an AOL message
Thanks for all the help here. I would love to make her the soap, Alee, just a bit worried about Fels Napha as last I looked it had a lot of chemicals in it. My natropath told me(many moons ago) that it was not good. Of course, this was a lot of years ago. Maybe they changed it. I could use Kirk's as I have used that before. I can't believe Ivory has changed their formula after all these years, foolish people. So Alee is this soap mix safe for babies?

Find your joy and live it. http://cheneybaglady.blogspot.com/http://www.kpaints.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2009 :  3:24:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Karen- Totally safe for babies! It's what I washed all of Nora's clothes and cloth diapers in since she was born! I use my own homemade lye soap most often in the mix, but I have used everything from Fels to the Boraxo hand soap.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Wildcrafter
True Blue Farmgirl

340 Posts

Suzanne
Seattle WA
USA
340 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2009 :  06:59:01 AM  Show Profile
I make my own with lard, borax, ammonia, essential oils of orange and lemon, lye and water. I let it cure for 6 months, grate it, add it to hot water to dissolve. It cleans sooo good and the clothes smell clean, not overpowered with synthetic fragrances.

I woke up on January 1st and it was 2009.
And it's been that way ever since!

www.goodnaturedearthling.com
Cedar Mountain Herb School
Go to Top of Page

Especially For You
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

Tina
Watkinsville GA
541 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2009 :  08:33:55 AM  Show Profile
I would love to make my own laundry soap but I have a HE machine. Can you make homemade liquid soap safe for this machine.

Tina~Farm Girl#455
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2009 :  09:42:53 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Tina- yes, the liquid version and the powdered version are both safe for a HE Machine.

Here is a copy of an article that MaryJane published in her syndicated column that is carried by the Salt Lake Tribune that has both recipes in it, however the powdered recipe is highly recommended as it is easier by a long shot. If you need to make it liquid for your machine, you can just dissolve the 2 table spoons of the powdered mixture in a cup of hot/warm water before adding to the machine. But here is the full article:

Is there anything better than the smell of clean laundry? Something about crisp linens just out of the wash conjures up lighthearted sensations of spring sunshine. I love the way that perfect, fleeting freshness makes the world feel utterly luxurious. But many commercial detergents, as well as dryer sheets touting "spring fresh" scents, contain toxic chemicals that can be absorbed through the skin and permeate the air we breathe, so a growing faction of farmgirls-at-heart are rolling up their sleeves and thinking outside the store-bought soap box.
Making your own laundry detergent is so easy and cost-effective that it's a wonder we ever started buying the brand-name stuff at all. The recipes for both liquid and powder laundry detergents are simple, natural and cost as little as two cents per load!
All you need are three basic ingredients: soap (bar, powdered or liquid), borax and washing soda — all of which you can buy at your local grocery or health food store. For soap, I recommend going au naturel with either Boraxo powdered hand soap or Castile soap, which comes in both liquid and bar form. The next ingredient, borax, is a mineral compound that works as a multipurpose cleaner and bleach, so it's a green solution to keeping your whites bright. Washing soda, which is similar to baking soda but more alkaline, cuts grease and neutralizes odors. Here are two basic recipes for liquid and powdered laundry detergents. If you miss the floral fragrance of commercial brands, you can use naturally scented bar soap — or vamp it up even more by adding a few drops of your favorite essential oil to the liquid detergent recipe — lavender is always divine! Please note that even though the ingredients are from natural sources, they can irritate the skin, so it's a good idea to wear gloves while mixing.

Powdered Laundry Detergent (makes 4 cups)

2 cups powdered hand soap (I use Boraxo)
1 cup washing soda (I use Arm & Hammer)
1 cup borax (I use 20 Mule Team Borax natural laundry booster)

Mix all ingredients well and store in an airtight plastic container. Use 1/4 cup per load of laundry.

Liquid Laundry Detergent (makes approx. 2 ˝ gallons)

2 cups finely grated natural or artisan bar soap OR 1 cup liquid castile soap (I use Kirk's Original Coco Castile soap, a very inexpensive natural coconut oil soap) OR 2 cups powdered hand soap (I use Boraxo)
(Note: Grating the soap may seem tedious, but you can do it in a food processor with a grater attachment, and it makes a ton of detergent—more than a month’s worth for my family!)
2 cups borax (I use 20 Mule Team Borax Natural Laundry Booster)
2 cups washing soda (I use Arm & Hammer)

Mix soap, borax and washing soda in a pan with 1 quart water. Heat to just shy of boiling, stirring, until water thickens and suds form. Pour into a clean 5-gallon bucket. Pour another 2 1/2 gallons of boiling water into bucket; stir well. Let sit for 24 hours. You can leave it in the bucket and cover it, but I like to store mine in vintage 1/2-gallon milk bottles. Use 1/4 cup per regular load. If the mixture separates over time, either stir or gently tilt back and forth in its container to re-mix.

Your costs for these homemade laundry detergents? The liquid detergent will cost you about two cents per load and the powdered detergent about 12 cents per load—quite a savings compared to around 20 cents per load for major store brands and even more for those found in a natural-foods store.
To eliminate the residues left on your clothes by fabric-softening dryer sheets, try adding 1/4 cup white vinegar to your rinse water to soften fabric, brighten whites and eliminate cling. Then, make your own dryer sheet by rubbing 1 teaspoon of hair conditioner into a damp cotton cloth that you dry with the rest of your clothes. Again, essential oils can add safe and sumptuous fragrance; just add a few drops to the cloth.
But what if you're in a rush and need a boxed brand fast? A few grocery-store brands are considered safe. Country Save, Earthrite, Ecover, Planet Inc., and Seventh Generation detergents are some of the best brands for your health and the environment. All Free Clear, Cheer Free & Gentle, and Tide Free detergents don't contain fragrances, but they do contain other petrochemicals, so they're not ideal choices if you're trying to reduce your environmental impact and exposure to toxins. Dryer-sheet brands like EcoSelect, Method, and Sun & Earth are biodegradable, nontoxic, and come in both unscented and scented varieties.

SIDEBAR: More Laundry Tips for Getting Clean While Staying Green

— You can reduce your water-heating bill by turning your water heater down to 120 F and washing most of your clothes in cold water, saving the use of warm water for only the toughest jobs..
— Energy Star-qualified washers use at least 40 percent less energy than standard washers and roughly half the water (www.energystar.gov). Dryers don't get Energy Star ratings, because all models use about the same amount of energy.
— Run full loads of laundry whenever possible to save water and energy, and adjust the water level to the small load setting if you must wash only a few items.
— Choose "wet cleaning" over highly toxic dry cleaning for finicky fabrics. Wet cleaning uses water and nontoxic, biodegradable detergents to clean wool, silk, linen and rayon.
— Hang your laundry out to dry on a clothesline or drying rack.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4235 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4235 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2009 :  4:23:27 PM  Show Profile
Karen, I have to totally agree with you. My son came back for a visit from college. I could not stand the smell on his clothes. The drier sheets he used in the dryer, yuck. It was sooooo strong smelling. I have been making my own laudry powder for about a year.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2009 :  7:00:35 PM  Show Profile
I used a dryer sheet from an old box of dryer sheets the other day and the smell just about knocked me over.
I will never buy laundry soap, or dryer sheets again. Totally sold on my own home made stuff.
I even converted a friend!

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Laundry soap advice needed Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page