JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2006 :  03:03:27 AM  Show Profile
hi girls u know that salt on your hands and washing them takes the onion and garlic odour off, it workes wonderfully. something else that works too is ground coffe bar homemade soap! any other sugestions? thought i'd share that with u all.jo~

love is all you need

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2006 :  09:31:18 AM  Show Profile
I make a lemon and tea trea oil soap that works wonderfully! Lemon is great for getting rid of those odors.

Blessings,

Missy

If you have a dream, even if you don't feel qualified to accomplish it, just try your hardest.-Maggie Jensen
Go to Top of Page

Tatiana
True Blue Farmgirl

98 Posts

Tania
Boise ID
USA
98 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2006 :  10:02:24 AM  Show Profile
Supposedly rubbing with a cut potato will reduce the odor on hands.
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2006 :  12:57:13 PM  Show Profile
i bought a 'stainless steel' bar (shaped like a bar of soap) from Bed, Bath and Beyond .. claims to take the odor away .. and OH MY GOSH! it works! (it leaves a slight metal smell though) .. i read you can use a stainless steel SPOON to do the same thing. try it and let me know if it works .. the bar, i think was ten dollars .. but will last FOREVER!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2006 :  03:33:35 AM  Show Profile
i heard that too frannie also about the lemon, i just found the salt to be the handiest to grab, my goodness sometimes the onions can be awfull on your hands eh? i know when my husband cuts one it really sticks to his hands, what do u girls do when u have to peel alot of onions? i go outside lol! especially at pickling time! jo!

love is all you need
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2006 :  6:11:10 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
I am probably the most sensitive person to onions on earth. I have tried everything from a sharp knife, cutting under the stovetop with the fan running on high (it does help) tossing the chopped onions into a pot with a lid IMMEDIATELY after I cut each half... and cutting outside. It doesn't matter, my eyes water and sting so much I have to stop after each half of an onion gets cut and run to the bathroom and put a damp cloth over my eyes for a few minutes! My eyes are red and puffy for HOURS afterward.

My hubby can cut the onions and I can be in the other half of the house - and I will know it, my eyes will start crying in no time, even a few hours later.

Good to know about the salt - some onions DO stick on your hands for days! Just don't have a bad cut...

Edited by - greyghost on Jan 06 2006 6:12:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

CityCat
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Catherine
Toronto Ontario
Canada
198 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2006 :  8:40:03 PM  Show Profile
Rubbing a stainless steel spoon on your hands after cutting garlic or onion does get rid of the smell. I rub my hands with a spoon under running water and the smell goes away.

Lynn - Have you tried wearing swimming googles when you cut onions? I have a friend who swears this works. I can't say I've tried it, but I wear glasses...
- Cat
Go to Top of Page

JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2006 :  11:56:06 AM  Show Profile
gee lyn maybe u r alergic to them i know they are really harsh on my eyes too but out side seemed to be the only thing that helped sitting toward a breeze!!! yeh the salt would heart a cut but u know what they say no smatum no cureum tee hee! just a funny! lol! jo!

love is all you need
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2006 :  05:38:36 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
I will definitely try the swimming goggles idea. Hopefully nobody comes to the door though! I can just see trying to explain WHY I'm wearing goggles to cut onions! lol!
Go to Top of Page

WednesdaysChild
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Mandy
Suncheon
Korea
33 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2006 :  09:37:18 AM  Show Profile
I use swimming goggles too! (and have used the stove fan too) When hubby isnt home to chop the onions for me, the goggles are my only hope. The peelings have to go immediately in the garbage, the onions either submerged in their recipe or sealed in the chopper or rinsed, depending. It doesnt seem to matter what kind of onion either - they're like mace! Nice to know I'm not just a "wimp" - someone else does it too! *sigh of relief*

~Mandy

A Canadian farmgirl in S. Korea.
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2006 :  11:03:24 AM  Show Profile
I can't remember who's cookbook it was, but somewhere I read that you should lights small candle and set it next to your cutting board before you get started. It does seem to keep my eyes from watering. I, too bought one of those expensive stainless steel "soap bars" only to have my mother laugh at me and say that just the act of washing my stainless steel pans by hand will do the same thing and, of course, she is right.

No I have to confess, I usually just cheat by quartering the onion and throwing it into the mini food processor. All the fumes are in there and you can quickly dump the onion into your bowl or pan. NO TEARS.

Lucinda

When we were young, there were moments of such perfectly crystallized happiness that we stood stock still and silently promised ourselves that we would remember them always. And we did. --Holly J. Burkhalter , "Four Midwestern Sisters' Christmas Book"

Go to Top of Page

Rusty pins
True Blue Farmgirl

91 Posts

Paula
Oelwein Iowa
USA
91 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2006 :  06:56:27 AM  Show Profile
OMG girls...I just spit coffee all over the screen!!!LOL SWIMMING GOOGLES!! I'm not doubtin' that they work...it's just he picture I had in my head when I read it!!! God help us...for the thinks we do for our family!!
Anyways...I did hear and have tried holding used stick matches in your mouth while chopping. Something about the sulfur that helps. Also do the candle thing...have to have it real close though. Another one grandma did was put your onions in the freezer for about 15-20 min before you cut them.
And.....how do you gals get the smell off your cutting boards. I have all wood ones. Nothing seems to work for me!

"Life shall judge us harshly enough. Let us at least be gentle with each other."

http://www.rustypinsandoldlace.com/
'Antiques & HandMades for your heart and your home.'
Go to Top of Page

WednesdaysChild
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Mandy
Suncheon
Korea
33 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2006 :  07:58:27 AM  Show Profile
Hey Paula! I hope your screen benefitted from the coffee bath! I can totally vouch for the fact the I really do look like a psycho in my googles, hair all stuck up funny in the back. They are black rimmed ones too, even worse. ^_^ These matches in the mouth are unlit I'm assuming? Cuz otherwise you'd have to be a really fast chopper..hehee. I like the freezing idea too... probably keeps down the number of airborn onion-juice-particles. For the wooden board, that's all I use too, and I just wash it immediately after cutting with really hot soapy water and a pot scratcher. Never seemed to have a problem. Maybe try making a paste of baking soda and water and smearing it all over the (soaked wet) board and letting it sit a while? I find that helps a wide range of problems, from smells to stains to beestings.
Mandy

A Canadian farmgirl in S. Korea.
Go to Top of Page

Rusty pins
True Blue Farmgirl

91 Posts

Paula
Oelwein Iowa
USA
91 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2006 :  08:49:49 AM  Show Profile
Wouldn't my son just fall to pieces if he came home from school and I had his swimmin' goggles on?? I'm SO sorry darlin'.....it's just a hoot! Good idea on the cutting board! It never gets cleaned right away because the kids clean up after dinner...and you know how they are.....I'm gonna try that paste!!
Oh...mom used to chop all of her onions, lay them on a cookie sheet and threw them in the freezer. She'd go in every once in a while to make sure they wheren't stuck together..then after they where all frozen, she'd put them in freezer bags and keep them in the freezer till she needed them. Then they where already chopped and easy to use!

"Life shall judge us harshly enough. Let us at least be gentle with each other."

http://www.rustypinsandoldlace.com/
'Antiques & HandMades for your heart and your home.'
Go to Top of Page

JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2006 :  12:07:22 PM  Show Profile
having a blast here laughing at the goggle thing lol! yeh i heard that about the candel on the urban peasant! naaaa!!! din't work for me. i have to go outside fer sure. but the salt does work wonders for the stench they leave behind. later love jo

love is all you need
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic onion garlic odour Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page