Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Is Muck supposed to be a bad word??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Is Muck supposed to be a bad word?? Next Topic  

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  12:11:06 AM  Show Profile
Today my DD and I went to the feed store in Orofino and bought new winter mucking boots. As many of you probably know, we have cattle, horses, goats, chickens (and dogs, cats). Well our feet were just freezing in our boots we got just 1 1/2 seasons ago (winter season that is) and after being out last night at 10pm watering the cows for the last time we were frozen. It was 5 degrees and our feet were very very cold. Now, back to the story...Well these new boots are so warm we wore them out of the store and carried our old ones. We had just come to town from doing chores and had on our winter felt cowboy hats with fold down earflaps(they are a must), our silk scarfs, our winter chore jackets and now our new muckers. We stopped at the only department store in town on our way home. The woman in line at the register had also been at the feed store when we left. She made small talk then said something about our boots, in a backward kind of comment (polite sarcasm it seemed) and I said well, we don't dress like this because we just like the style. She said well, at least you have a good attitude about it. Then she made another snyde comment about us mucking something as we were on our way out the door.
Now around here, you see loggers in their gear, you see ranchers in their gear, you see hunters in their gear, but why we were singled out and made comments to baffles me. Especially around here, we don't look out of place, like rif-raf. Granted we don't usually go to town in our muckers, but at least they were brand new and didn't have anything but a bit of snow from the parking lot on them.

I actually am hurt a bit(my feelings) and also feel sorry for the woman. She obviously doesn't know what it takes, in all kinds of weather, to raise food that she can dress up and go to the grocery to buy in a nice little package. It takes getting dirty(most of the time), and poopy (sometimes) and frozen in winter, and hot in the summer.

Why are people like that?? I just never have understood.
Well, thanks for letting me get this off my chest. It helps.
Cindy

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  06:00:50 AM  Show Profile
I have come to the conclusion that some folks just stink.

Really. There isn't one thing wrong with muck boots...or the word muck. I use it often, and my favorite job as a teen, aside from breezing horses at the track, was mucking stalls.

Silly, silly, woman. One can only hope that with our world and the economy, she doesn't have to start raisng her own food--I'd like to see her do that in a pair of Menolo Blahniks!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  06:27:22 AM  Show Profile
I have muck boots as do the rest of us here. They work and the word fits perfectly. When people act like that woman did just say to yourself 'consider the source' and continue on your happy way and let her wallow in her own 'muck'. MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  06:37:34 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Cindy- you will get a kick out of this- I have some muck boots that are actually my favorite boots to wear! They are so reliable. They never have let me down. My feet have never gotten wet, I haven't slipped and fallen on my behind on the ice (even when pushing 150 pound plus wheelbarrow) PLUS I like the way the foot part of the boot looks...SOOO sometimes I wear them and pull my jeans down on top of them. Then they just look like I have a greyish/black shoe on! LOL The only thing I would like is a liner for winter- so I do the layering of wool socks. Since they are rubber and no ventilation, this seems to do the job!

That lady doesn't know what it takes, and she doesn't know the joy one can have when raising animals. She also doesn't know the sense of accomplishment that having a working farm/ranch can give you! I actually feel sorry for her that she thought that making fun of your awesome boots was worthwhile. *hugs*

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  06:40:25 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I have learned a valuable lesson early in life about not judging someone. I worked in a rather nice part of town but we got a lot of fisherman in our store to pick up snacks and that gallon o' milk for the wifey. They would come in their overalls but always had fantastic stories to tell. We had a little to go food counter, with sandwiches, soups, etc. We hired a new gal who was obviously above doing this menial work with the "smelly fisherman" who came in. And boy, did they notice it. I had given my 2 weeks notice because I was leaving for the military and one of my regulars was sad to see me go. On my last day there, he sent me 3 dozen roses with an envelope attached with a $2000 check for the store. I was to take $300 and go out and have some fun with my friends before leaving for bootcamp. The money for the store was to be used for repairs that were desperately needed. This guy looked like the Morton Seafood guy and about town, he always had on jeans, loafers and a plain t-shirt. Nothing particular. I remember hearing from a friend that he retired a multi millionaire and people were shocked by how he didn't act with all that money.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  06:56:32 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
awww, Cindy, don't waste your time on a person like that. Just remember to not take things personal, it's not about you, it's her problem. We all love you, much boots and all!!LOL! I'd take muck boots over la ti da, anyday.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Badgebadger
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Bookclub Coordinator
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  07:25:36 AM  Show Profile
Hey Cindy, the ole gal is jealous. What was she buying? Not something to wear while doing the chores, I'll bet. That "stuff" on the bottom of our boots is like $ in the bank. Well, that is the plan anyway. People who make comments like that are only trying to pull someone down so they will feel better about themselves.
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  07:49:57 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
Never thought it was a bad word!!!! lol like you muck something who cares! lol phooey on her! remember noone can make you feel inferior unless you let them

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."

http://liggybitsandpieces.blogspot.com/
http://ligonierliving.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  07:59:14 AM  Show Profile
The "unfarm" people. Poor things. With no idea where there food comes from or even if it's dirty work. They probably think cows and chickens are nice pretty clean little animals. I talk to people who have never even been out this way where I live. Don't even know where it is. So how can "unfarm" folks know what is involved in what we do. It's called ignorance, plain and simple. And she is not worth having hurt feelings over.

You and your husband are good decent hard working REAL Americans doing what is right and good for her. She just didn't know it.Poor woman. You should have told her those muck boots clean up after that hamburger she's buying, thank you very much!

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  08:10:44 AM  Show Profile
Let it roll, she obviously wasn't raised well.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  08:18:50 AM  Show Profile
I am coming to the conclusion that manners are hiding somewhere in our society - I certainly never would have made a comment like that, still wouldn't. Maybe manners are with common sense, 'cause there sure is a short supply of that these days too.
Sorry you had to deal with other folks' yuckiness Cindy
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  08:31:37 AM  Show Profile
I don't have muck boots and don't have anything to muck about. But many people here wear wooden shoes because they are farmers. And they need to because those shoes are warm and very sturdy.SO don't let it bother you too much what others might say.

Hugs from Marian from the Netherlands who now wants to OWN a pair of nice warm much boots, lol

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

rabbithorns
True Blue Farmgirl

544 Posts

Allison
Fort Scott KS
USA
544 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  08:36:18 AM  Show Profile
It's just a form of ignorance and lack of gratitude. I try to be grateful. I'm not unaware of the blessings in my life. Every single thing in my world is due to the hard work of other people. I would take her comments as a reminder of how blessed you are to be a person who's aware of that.

To be grateful of all the people who plowed the field, sowed the seed, watered the crops, harvested and threshed the grain, milled the wheat, baked the bread, trucked it to your store....all that in your morning toast. That's a rare person who sees all the kind people who have done something that serves our needs in even one thing in our world.

She's more common in our world for not understanding this than all the "common" people she might look down on. She's spiritually biting the hand that feeds her, but it's easy to have compassion for her, because she's like a child, she doesn't even know she's being ungrateful.

http://www.rabbithorns.etsy.com & www.wayofthewife.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  09:01:07 AM  Show Profile
Cindy remember your talking about a very small town with a very small mind. I have had some comments made to me here too. Just let them roll of your back. Orofino is an ok place. There are some people that are just mean and never happy.

Diana
ps We still need to try to get together. With all the snow I don't leave the house to much in the winter.

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  09:03:57 AM  Show Profile
Remember what you do in your muck boots is far more important and better for the soul than anything this lady could do. Sometimes when people makes snyde remarks they are jealous that you have so much confidence with yourself so it doesn't matter what you wear or what you drive or where you live. Does that make sense? Be Proud of yourself and what you accomplish, put your head up and your shoulders back and move past her ignorant remarks.
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  09:32:45 AM  Show Profile
Really, some people are such jerks. There is nothing better than warm boots in the winter, and warm muck boots, even better. When i discovered what we call "dink boots", the kind with rubber soles leather uppers and thick wool liners, winter became quite tolerable. I am so glad you got warm boots. Stay warm,

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  09:38:25 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
So Cindy.
Having met you in person and know how adorable you are, my only question is this? were you wearing your apron?

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  10:45:26 AM  Show Profile
Thank you all for your wonderful words of support. It helped even writing it out but the support from you all is fantastic!! I feel so much better now!! I love my farmgirl sisters!!

Renee-no I wasn't wearing one of my aprons, that would have really "flipped her skirt" if I was!! (metaphorically speaking)

Thanks again girls--you are the best!!

Cindy

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Is Muck supposed to be a bad word?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page