Previous Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Recipes We'd Love to Share Next Topic
Page: of 3

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2005 :  10:39:42 AM  Show Profile
Oooo Lareyna! That sounds good and we love clam chowder home made. Thanks!

Here is the recipe:

CHICKEN W/YOGURT SAUCE AND FETA
Chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)
Crumbled Feta cheese

Mix together:
1-2 c. plain, organic yogurt
2 garlic cloves crushed
fresh rosemary, thyme (2-3 tsps or to taste)
1 Tbs. lemon pepper

Cover chicken with yogurt sauce and allow to marinate for up to 8 hours in the fridge.
Place chicken in a lightly oiled baking pan and top with feta cheese and additional herbs . Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 1/2 hr. Uncover for additional 10-15 minutes for cheese to brown and bubble.
Serve with spinach salad or spanikopita. Easy, breezy...delicious!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

nh farmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

laura
sullivan nh
15 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2005 :  6:39:27 PM  Show Profile
Was wondering if anyone has ever made their own eggnog and how was it?
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2005 :  10:58:23 AM  Show Profile
I have made my own egg nog and it was wonderful. I just use the recipe out of the Betty Crocker cook book that is for warm egg nog. It has been a family tradition to have fresh hot egg nog and cinnamon buns for breakfast on Christmas morning since before I was born. The home made variety is not as thick or as sweet as the store bought variety that has added stuff to thicken it. It also does not contain any preservatives or corn syrup which is really an unhealthy additive as it is highly addictive.
When I want mine to be thick I beat the eggwhites to a stiff peak and fold it in at the last just before serving.
My daughter sent me this recipe last year and I have used it twice. It is richer because of the heavy whipping cream.
Holly-Nog
6 eggs
3/4 cups sugar
1/4 tsp salt
3 cups milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup whipping cream
2 tsp rum extract
nutmeg
2 Tbsp powdered sugar
In a medium bowl, beat together eggs, sugar, and salt. In a medium saucepan heat 2 cups milk over medium low heat just until hot(careful of scorching).Slowly wisk warm milk into egg mixture. return Egg /milk mixture to saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until it reaches 160 degreesF. Remove from heat and stir in remaining milk and vanilla. Transfer to a clean bowl and refridgerate overnight. Just before serving, beat whipping cream until soft peaks form, add powdered sugar and egg mixture combining well. Stir in rum extract and garnish with nutmeg. YUmmy!
I find this recipe to be a little too sweet so I always add an additional cup of milk.

Hope you like it
Eileen
Songbird; singing joy to the earth

Edited by - Eileen on Nov 16 2005 11:04:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

nh farmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

laura
sullivan nh
15 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2005 :  6:25:26 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Eileen for the egg nog info. I will give it a try.
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2005 :  10:13:28 PM  Show Profile
Our recipe is almost identical to Eileen's with one exception...we use real rum and brandy; about a shot glass full of each. Real traditional recipes don't cook the mix and have raw eggs added but that's not a great idea for two reasons: salmonella and you must serve it right away. The cooked type you can chill and serve which is what we do.Hope you like it!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2005 :  07:53:36 AM  Show Profile
Bramble,
My eggnog recipe is just like yours. Sweet
Well, I thought I'd share these nutritious "candies" that I make with my class. Sent a few out with some farmgirl orders recently and everybody loves'em so I'll share the recipe with you all. Really nice homemade gift. And who doesn't love the taste of Chai??? MMMM

Farm at Coventry’s Decadent “Chai” Doom Balls
I like to use dried, whole spices and then freshly grind them in an electric coffee mill, but feel free to use pre-ground spices. This recipe is eternally forgiving and receptive to all sorts of substitutions.But it is really important to add enough nuts and/or coconut to make the balls stiff enough to hold their shape.
For gift giving, wrap the candies in purchased wax paper lined
gold foil candy papers or foil candy cups. Just Lovely!

Combine well:
1 cup almond or cashew butter
1 cup sesame tahini (oil drained)
1 cup honey (give or take)

Blend together in a bowl and then mix well into the above mixture:
4 Tb. cinnamon powder
4 teaspoons cardamom
4 teaspoons allspice
2 teaspoons ginger
2 teaspoons coriander
2 teaspoons fennel
2 teaspoons nutmeg
4 star anise (or substitute:
1 teaspoon anise)
1 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon mace (optional)
splash of vanilla extract
little cayenne, optional, but fun!

Blend in until mixture becomes pretty stiff:
8 oz. or more toasted coconut
2 cups or more ground almonds
cocoa or carob powder to taste

Roll mixture into small bite size balls and finish off by rolling in additional cocoa, coconut, ground nuts, or chocolate jimmies.
These freeze beautifully or can be kept in the fridge.
Foe finest flavor serv at room temperatue....
oh my these are sooooo good!!
I have added a splash of rum or liqueur to these as well as ground rose petals and ground lavender....
the sky is the limit.

Enjoy!!
BEB

www.feedsackfarmgirls.blogspot.com
www.farmatcoventry.com
"If more of us valued good food, cheer and song above hoarded gold,the world would be a merrier place."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2005 :  1:04:28 PM  Show Profile
Sue, These sound wonderful!! I have made something similar but not with all the spices. Cannot wait to try them. Sent it to my daughter too.
I add real rum and brandy to my eggnog when I serve it if the people drinking it wish it and are of age. The rum flavoring is for those folks who don't want the real thing. It was so funny, the year I let each of my "of age" children try it with the real stuff, they all made a face and were not sure if they liked it or not.
I think they do now however! LOL
Eileen

Songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Recipes We'd Love to Share Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page